Water leak from rear sunroof - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Water leak from rear sunroof

I have a water leak from my rear sunroof. It seems that Rover only supplied sunroof drains in the front of the roof. If I park on a slight incline, then the water collects in the rear sunroof frame and leaks in. You can see the drip in the video. I removed the glass and seal and I found some dirt under the seal. I cleaned it all out and applied some silicone to the bottom of it. I thought that this was it, but it has been raining here (and will all week), but it is still leaking. Do these seals wear out? Are these supposed to be water tight? I work for Audi, but they use 4 drains and allow leakage through the sunroof seal.

Video:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0274.jpg
Views:	7684
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	28501  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 11:24 PM

Location: why do the english drink warm beer? they use lucas refridgerators.
Garage
rip off the fabric from the headliner, paint it tan and let it leak water, you can park your mother in law and her ankle biter back there on rainy holiday trips to the airport or any other freeloafers
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been backing into my driveway due to the exact same issue. This morning, a bit of water came out when I pulled out. I'm pretty sure I have one of the drains clogged, but will see to that this summer when I pull the headliner out to recover it.

Alex Johnson
2006 Land Rover LR3 SE
Newly Dented, and loving it.
Retired - 1995 Land Rover Discovery

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

My drains aren't clogged, I blew them out. My problem is that the water is sitting in the sunroof frame. It isn't getting to the drains.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yours seems to be leaking much worse than mine. If you look at mine right now, you can't even tell it has leaked. You would only see the wet spot on the passenger side right behind of the sunroof if I parked on an incline and we got a big rain.

Have you taken the trays out and cleaned them? Could there be a bunch of sludge/debris in the tray blocking the water?

Alex Johnson
2006 Land Rover LR3 SE
Newly Dented, and loving it.
Retired - 1995 Land Rover Discovery

Last edited by johnsoax; 05-20-2011 at 07:16 AM. Reason: clarity
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 03:36 PM
~Christian~ D1+LR3

Garage
Just a thought, When I did mine I found the nozzle that attached to the hose to the drip pan had a leak in the sealing compound the factory used in the corner bits to attach/seal it. I siliconed it up & it's fine. now she leaks from the sunroof rubber seals *LeSigh* lol onto the next repair adventure!

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlinkhttps://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Last edited by OurPlaceNorth; 12-06-2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: add pic link
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

I have long since fixed this. The sunroof assembly is 2 pieces. The seal on the top portion had deteoriated. I removed the assembly, put some new silicone down and it hasn't leaked since.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 06:04 PM

I had the same problem. It turned out to be loose screws. The torx screws that hold the glass to the frame were loose. All I did was tighten them and this fixed the water leak as well as the air leak I heard when driving down the highway.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 10:17 AM
HeadlinerExpress

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
As you found out the sunroof seal between the outside metal roof and the plastic trim ring that glass and seal lays in does go bad and needs to be re-sealed in order to prevent water from leaching under the sunroof into the interior.

Typically the drain tubes on a discovery are NEVER CLOGGED like one would think!

Most common issues related to water issues with a discovery is a leaky front windshield, broken drain tube, or loose screws that back out from natural vibration over the years.

Your sunroofs should be inspected once every 3 years to make sure they are properly adjusted and cleaned; the only time to inspect the sunroofs for water leaks is when the headliner board has been removed.

If you have any other questions related to this topic please feel free to ask and ill do my best to help you resolve your issues just for the asking. Bill

Headliner Express
Headliner & Sunroof Repair
Winter Park, Florida USA

68 Unimog TLF-8 Firetruck
65 Unimog Radio Box
63 Volvo L3304 Fast Attack
98 Range Rover 4.6 (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 02:28 AM

I had the same and I pulled off the frame and pan, cleaned the surfaces and applied new sealant before installing it all back. Also the plastic adaptors for the drain pipes in the corners were also re-sealed better. One observation about the drain pipes.

Those were squeezed between the roof and the trim. I rerouted them (used 90 degrees adaptor) to go around that part of the roof.

Last edited by Kaitsu; 01-26-2012 at 11:41 AM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 03:50 PM

Location: Oahu Hawaii, work with DoD, originally from St. Louis area
I'm working this issue now...multiple 2000 disco II water issues in the ceiling...what a crap design...

front ecu for the sunroof sometimes does not close front roof unless you tap on it...ordering used one to replace...did find you can close with allen wrench if need be, small access hole behind front switch...thank God it's there...

sagging headliner from leaking sunroof...will paint as other posts I've read suggests...no use paying a guy $300 for new liner if the roofs will leak and ruin a new cloth one...

tested front drain tubes to make sure they drained when I poured water in the track...they did...once I replace front ecu...front sunroof good-to-go...

Moved to rear sunroof...found broken drain tube on rear roof...used some plumbing parts to fix hose to broken corner piece (wish I knew where to get new corner piece but imagine I would have to find whole sunroof)...found rear sunroof still leaked...removed tail lights and blew backwards and cleared both rear sunroof drain hoses ...and thought that would fix problem...no...still seems blocked...but like other post, noticed that when when I pour water into the trough, it goes toward the back of the sunroof and leaks inside in the far rear of the sunroof, out of two small holes with clips in them, not watertight holes??? Seems even though hoses were clear, still not draining where they should be...of course you can't see the opening in front of drain tubes so maybe there is blockage to drain tubes before it gets to drain tubes? Took q-tips and tried cleaning out the front corner areas...can't see anything...noticed that when water poured into rear trough and if the truck is slanting even slightly toward the rear, the water drains out the two rear holes into the rear cargo area by the jump seats...had to stop, got dark, more hours ahead..

I wonder if I remove the screws around the bottom of the sunroof if I would have access to corners where drain tubes are located so I can make sure water can get to drain tubes?

I bet all of this would have costs thousands to have fixed at a dealer...replace ecu, find clogs, replace headliner...and then would probably clog up again down the road and ruin it all again...

Has anyone replaced the corner pieces where the drain tubes comes out since my plastic nipple (plastic...really? Why not metal?) was broke off flush and I would feel better about the repair with a new corner vs. a adhesive caulk repair and a plastic barb stem fitting I found?

Bert
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertoahu View Post
I'm working this issue now...multiple 2000 disco II water issues in the ceiling...what a crap design...

front ecu for the sunroof sometimes does not close front roof unless you tap on it...ordering used one to replace...did find you can close with allen wrench if need be, small access hole behind front switch...thank God it's there...

sagging headliner from leaking sunroof...will paint as other posts I've read suggests...no use paying a guy $300 for new liner if the roofs will leak and ruin a new cloth one...

tested front drain tubes to make sure they drained when I poured water in the track...they did...once I replace front ecu...front sunroof good-to-go...

Moved to rear sunroof...found broken drain tube on rear roof...used some plumbing parts to fix hose to broken corner piece (wish I knew where to get new corner piece but imagine I would have to find whole sunroof)...found rear sunroof still leaked...removed tail lights and blew backwards and cleared both rear sunroof drain hoses ...and thought that would fix problem...no...still seems blocked...but like other post, noticed that when when I pour water into the trough, it goes toward the back of the sunroof and leaks inside in the far rear of the sunroof, out of two small holes with clips in them, not watertight holes??? Seems even though hoses were clear, still not draining where they should be...of course you can't see the opening in front of drain tubes so maybe there is blockage to drain tubes before it gets to drain tubes? Took q-tips and tried cleaning out the front corner areas...can't see anything...noticed that when water poured into rear trough and if the truck is slanting even slightly toward the rear, the water drains out the two rear holes into the rear cargo area by the jump seats...had to stop, got dark, more hours ahead..

I wonder if I remove the screws around the bottom of the sunroof if I would have access to corners where drain tubes are located so I can make sure water can get to drain tubes?

I bet all of this would have costs thousands to have fixed at a dealer...replace ecu, find clogs, replace headliner...and then would probably clog up again down the road and ruin it all again...

Has anyone replaced the corner pieces where the drain tubes comes out since my plastic nipple (plastic...really? Why not metal?) was broke off flush and I would feel better about the repair with a new corner vs. a adhesive caulk repair and a plastic barb stem fitting I found?

Bert
Hi,

were those rear drain tubes OK? See, mine had this problem as there was in my post:

"Those were squeezed between the roof and the trim. I rerouted them (used 90 degrees adaptor) to go around that part of the roof."

Taking the roof trim off, you could see the tubes were squeezed and no wonder nothing gets through....

Kaitsu
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
never had the rear one leak on my 03, but the front would in a heavy rain. would come in at the corner of the headliner by the A pillar or B pillar on the passenger side. Found out both drain nipples were broke off? 2 part epoxy fixed both and been fine since. Pulling the headliner out is easily a few hours of your time but make access and repair worth it. have also found loose torx screws on other trucks. My 98 has never leaked but I am waiting... I've had old VW's with a drain at each corner. No idea why the hell LR only used two. The outer seal is not meant to be water tight, but enough to keep from overflowing the drains or letting debris in.

1996 Disco XD 1996 Trek #4 and Camel Trophy Team USA Selections 1997
2003 Disco SE7 expedition prepped
1998 Disco LSE 7 50th Anniversary Baluga Black
1987 Defender 110 300tdi/R380
1969 Series 2A 109
Pacific Coast Rover Club
Redmond, Washington

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 06:44 PM
ark
99 Disco I

I have this issue in a 98 Disco I and found that the head liner crimped the drain hose between part of the frame about 3 inches from the sunroof tray. After fixing that it still leaked so now I wonder if it could be getting air lock because the drain hose runs horizontal above window. I have pulled them out and let them run at an angle to see if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.