Water only in radiator? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Water only in radiator?

I've heard just pure water is the best thing you can put in your radiator. Is there any truth in this? Where I live I would never have to worry about freezing. I'm getting ready to change out all hoses and flush radiator a bit. Thanx

"you cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves"
Abe Lincoln

2006 Range Rover Sport HSE 60,000 miles (wife's)

2004 Discovery SE7, 170,000 miles
Mods coming soon!!
Wish List:
2" Terrafima lift
Tactical Rover front and rear bumpers
Warn winch
Safari snorkel
Voyager rack (with tent modification)

1998 Discovery, sold but not forgotten
Rover75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
disco biscuit

Its a debatable subject I can tell you that much. To say its better to run straight water first requires distilled water. Prolly knew that. Anti-freeze is the proper term for what most people incorrectly refer to as coolant. Anti freeze actually disperses heat much less efficiently than water this is true. It also has a higher boiling point and lower freeze point. The higher boiling point, in some newer cars, is used to run higher temps with less worry. It works without it but just say it gets close to the 212 boiling point. The thermo in my powerstroke is 204. I dont recall the stock for my disco cause I got the 180° thermo, so i dont care. Point is it is accounted for some in engineering.

Also the mix of chemicals is much less subject to cavitation within the system and also rides on this system much slicker for lack of better explanation. It has more lubricity...lets say.

All that being said. Yes water does cool your engine much more efficently than straight water. Is it better...eehhhh idk. I try to stay close to 20% antifreeze 80% water in TX. But really dont pay much mind to it, I just dump a lil in and mostly add water. It might seem thoughtless but whatever. Beats doin a bunch of math for something that exact science isnt really that important as long as you dont use more than 50% anti freeze. It feels like a waste to have looked all that info up I just rambled when really, now, I could give a shit less. It shouldnt matter with a healthy coolant system.
disco biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Your engine will run hotter and in the case of our Disco's, the longer the engine stays hotter the greater chance you have of having the glue that holds your sleeves in fail and then you are into some big repairs.

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Need Parts?
paulgrant@mac.com or call 203-770-1699
willtillery@roverguy.com or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8, http://lucky8llc.com/
British Parts of Utah, http://www.bputah.com/
Disco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Good info, so I guess I'll drop some antifreeze in there then, I'll just stick with the 50/50 or so. Thanx guys, that was good info. I'm with you disco biscuit, it seems like everything concerning fluids in general in these trucks is highly debatable, backed with a bunch of engineering specs and blah blah

"you cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves"
Abe Lincoln

2006 Range Rover Sport HSE 60,000 miles (wife's)

2004 Discovery SE7, 170,000 miles
Mods coming soon!!
Wish List:
2" Terrafima lift
Tactical Rover front and rear bumpers
Warn winch
Safari snorkel
Voyager rack (with tent modification)

1998 Discovery, sold but not forgotten
Rover75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Land Rover... Official off road Jeep recovery vehicle since 1948.

I just flushed mine out a few weeks ago when I replaced the water pump. I drained and filled it 4 times each time with the hose filling it to the top of the radiator then running the engine with the Heater full blast until the temp Guage started to climb, the last flush I did i used Prestone Antifreeze/Coolant - Choose your region | Prestone® radiator flush along with water, same process with running the vehicle, then emptied the cooling system the best i could of any cleaner or water left in the system and poured 1 gallon of premixed Dexcool, then I added a bottle of Lucas Super Coolant, then finished filling the radiator with premixed Dexcool until full. My trucks running noticeably cooler. I also removed the two auxiliary fans from the front of my radiator as they were fried and just blocking air flow. Bottom line I highly recommend adding Lucas Super Coolant It Does what it says.

Super Coolant : Lucas Oil
rockinryan96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
disco biscuit

I highly recommend dumping the dexcool out and using a more stable old school anti-freeze. That stuff turns into a terracotta mud sculpture the minute it makes any contact with air or combustion gases. Sometimes with no explainable cause.
Attached Thumbnails
Water only in radiator?-1368823386581.jpg   Water only in radiator?-1368823399573.jpg   Water only in radiator?-1368823418481.jpg  
disco biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.