wife broke down in the disco trying to figure out whats wrong. - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Unhappy wife broke down in the disco trying to figure out whats wrong.

i recieved a call from my wife today while at work that she was broke down in our 98 discovery. heres her account of what happened. she left our house drove less than an 8th mile uphill from our house, said the vehicle wouldnt accelerate over 10 mile per hour. she crested the hill and the vehicle quite accelerating and brought here to a stop in the middle of the road facing downhill while in drive. when she hit the gas it wouldnt go then she called me. my first thought was maybe a broken universal so i told here to engage the dif lock to see if it would go. the vehicle started to drive again, so she swung a u turn (with lock engaged, ouch!) started up the backside of the hill back towards our home and vehicle quite accelerating again wasnt even able to get back to the top of the hill. so she called for a ride (while the vehicles was still running in park) and then called me back to explain the situation and while on the phone she said it was starting to smoke from under the hood white smoke). so i leave work to see if i can drive it the 8th mile back to my house somehow. i get to the vehicle check the oil, look underneath to see if any fluids are leaking, find nothing wrong so i start it up, engine sounds fine drop it in gear gos right in, a bit firm as always. hit the gas and drive it back to the house while barely hitting the gas (seemed rather normal)disengage the lock middrive at 5mph still have acceleration seems ok, baby it home anyways.
also worth notting she said the vehicle was very ruff like something was rubbing when she whipped u turn with the dif lock engaged, i attribute this to the lock workin properly and the front to rear axle beign connected causeing it to bind when turned or my oversized tires maybe catching. also worthy of note is the fact that it was raining when she broke down, maybe the cause of white smoke, with front end facing up hill rain could hit the radiator she said the temp gage at the time was showing that it wasnt even warmed up yet so i cant think of another reason for smoke. is it possible the high low lever maybe just disenged on her?but then why would it have stopped again once the lock was engaged. also it now has a check engine light. where is the port at in this thing its a 1998 discovery. any advice where to start lookin for a problem would be excellent cause im scratching my head
DiscoPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2010, 10:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

obdII port is, while sitting in driver seat, rite infront of right knee at bottom of dash panel, if you dont have reader, try to get to a auto parts store, should read for you for free, did she say if she smelt any thing burning, and you say it wont accelerate, will the engine accelerate but vehichle wont move, or does the engine not want to accelerate
Old 11-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

ok, so i got brave and took it for a test drive. seemed ok at 20-30 but when i tried to make it accelerate seemed as though i was gettin slipage in the drivetrain. i decided to keep driving it till i had same no movement issue as the wife. as i continued to drive the slipping feeling seemed to get worse and then the engine seemed to stop reving properly, barely hittin 3000rmp and droppin irregularly. then it seemed as though as result of combination of engine not reving and the slipping feeling it slowly came to a near stop.never reach maybe 45mph no matter how hard i tried. i was able to determine that all the gear seemed to be in tact and when was runing properly it shifted between them, but once the engine began revin iradicly the trany seemed to stop shifting. i barely got it home and had to shift it manually, seemed as though was slighly better than worthless when i shifted it by hand. it did get to full temp and held it fine no overheating.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

almost sounds fuel related, fuel filter,injectors, pump. someone else will chime in that knows more than i.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

when she got home she told me the smoke coming from under the back of the hood was comparable to a cigarette and greyish in color last only few moments then check engine light came on then she shut it off. she followed with, it seemed to act like this a few other times when it was raining, never nearly as bad. seems as though once the problem starts really acting up, which is less than a mile at in town speeds, that the tachometer begins to read incorrect varrying between an idle and 3k rpm. the seems as though from my guess its probably not really reving over 2000 rpms at any point, BUT only when the trannys engaged. when disengaged and cold the idle still seems its normal 700rpm, engine sounds normal. once warmed slightly and after it becomes problematic the idle sounds slighly like a cylinder not firing with an added almost poping noise out of the tail pipe, not very loud. when u rev it up warm it sounds like its non firing cylinder ontop of the normal rumble. my thought now is maybe a failed sensor, cloged cat, seems the tranny too the wheels is acting fine as best as i can tell under the conditions. vehicle is been well maintaned during my 8 months of ownership, relativly no problems so far. thanks for any help
Old 11-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Fuel pressure?

260-804-0458

Dominic Perodeau/Global British is a thieving bastard, do not send him money.
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

i dont have a gage is there a purge valve or other way to do a rough check
Old 11-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

dammit PT, i was going to let him know, they would want pressure readings, meaning YOU. glad to see you back, hope all is better. i didnt want to take that line from you, lol.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

limp your way to the nearest auto parts store, they should rent or lend you one while your in the lot to take a reading. schrader valve on passenger side of intake on fuel rail. looks like a tire valve
Old 11-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

this thing wont reliably make it to and from a store, can you jump pins and flash the check engine light for codes on a 98? tried looking on rave cd for info on this but didnt locate anything.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #11 (permalink)

For fuel pressure gauge guidance, Discoweb has a write-up in the technical support section where I showed how to build one.

You can't jump pins, but you can use a simple OBD-II code reader. Is the CEL on when it runs as well as it does?

I'm feeling much better thanx! I've been back to working as hard as I can but boy am I worn out at the end of the day.

260-804-0458

Dominic Perodeau/Global British is a thieving bastard, do not send him money.
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

you guys were right, definitly fuel pressure problem. turned out to be a cloged fuel filter. i even had the filter already, just hadnt gotten to putting it on. auto parts store cleared the misfire code. for some reason i dont think my obd plug is where it should be. mine was under the carpet next to the gas petal. i had looked for it before with no luck multiple times. but this time it was a must find item. took longer to find the plug than it did to change the filter, go figure. thank you for your wisdom
Old 11-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

ok so i replaced the filter, ran better than ever for a week. when i changed the filter i removed the engine side line first, little pressure minor gas leakage. then when i removed the line coming form the tank side, it had explosive amount of pressure still in the line with the other line disconnected. assumed new filter end of promlems..... wrong. after a week of the best performance ever, wife calls me at work again, not broke down,but telling me when she is going up hills se was hearing a noise like water sprayin on metal, audible over the radio but only when going uphill???? i dismissed to her being mildly crazy. she said noise seemed as though was coming from the windshiled wipers. she seemed to think the fuild injectors were clogged, bought some fuel injector cleaner and put it in and said noise went away. so when i got home from work i wanted to see how it was running so i took it out drove it hard, ran great. then as i headed back home i pulled out of an intersection that started right into a 30% incline, had the petal to the floor. not one third of the way up the hill began to lose almost all power and was barley able to crest the hill at 5mph, drove another mile on the flat this way till had safe spot to pull off. the whole way it popped ran horribly. the amount of gas i gave it seemed to do relativly nothing same as before, at least while on the flat barely drug itself along at 5mph. got it off the road shut if off. waited no more than 3 minutes started it again. ran perfect the rest of the 15 mile ride home.no problem since but i told wife not to let it go over 3k rpm. my discos a automatic tranny. but both her and i drive standard shift. so shes understand the rpms. been keeping it under 3k rpm and its doin ok but wth is the problem. it didnt trigger any codes when i had this mishap. wife said the noise she heard dint seem to affect performance. now id think if i shut it off and start it back up and its fine, that it would seem to indicate some sort of sensor problem. yet i have no codes? ill buy a fuel pressure gage if i have to. thing about the fuel pressure ordeal is i cant check it unless i can get the vehicle back into this run crappy state of being since when it running fine the pressures obvioulsy ok. where to now?
Old 11-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

also since changed the fuel filter its REALLY eating down the gas my 12 mpg average has probably dropped below 8mpg
Old 11-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

think i figured out how to make this problem occur now if somebody could help me figure out how to fix it. problem occurs when going uphill between 2krpm and 3krpm and speeds between 30-45mph. seems to be brought on by holding the petal to the floor. almost like the engines being flooded with to much gas causeing it to go into its fit of not hardly running. until the engines restarted then its fine! HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.