Won't shift out of PARK - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Won't shift out of PARK

Bad timing to not shift out of park. I was next in line at gas pump at Costco. I couldn't figure what was wrong with my basic knowledge. Yes, I was stepping on the brake pedal with engine running. When flat bed arrived, he couldn't winch the truck on bed because gears in park, wheels didnt turn, and weight. Well, I decided to Google the problem and linked it to possible brake switch. Brake lights were out. I tried to fiddle with it while waiting for rector to arrive with dollies. Tow truck driver helped me locate the switch. Not sure what we did, but it finally shifted in gear and I drove it home.

My Disco I is a 99, but in the past, I seem to come across w/ a few parts that are associated with 98 model instead. Looking above the brake pedal I see 2 switches. 1 above another.

Can anyone tell me what switch is what here?

Is the repair a simple remove and replace?

Looking to purchase part from local NAPA store versus dealer. I prefer the conveinence in case part is wrong and down time is minimized.

Thanks for any help here.

Al
99DiscoMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Gallery: 6
Smile

next time put the gear in neutral(the high low gear) so you can push the truck ,as for the switch why not remove the security solenoid unless you have children you do not want to remove that .
Old 11-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

It was in Neutral. The tow guy double checked that part. I ordered the part today. I'll keep ya posted once I install the new brake switch. Thanks
Old 11-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

There are two switches on the pedal hanger, one's for the lights/ABS, the other is cruise release.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

I found that by pushing the rear fog light on the left hand side of the dash you can bypass the brake switch to get it out of park. Later found the top brake switch to be stuck.
raymor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

At Napa Auto Parts, they listed 2 switches which were incorrect for my 99 Disco Auto Trans. After researching, it was listed in their book as Manual Trans; Part # SL811 ($38). Installed switch and works fine, but shifter is unlocked at all times with accessory key on or engine running. I thought the shifter only unlocks until the brake pedal is depressed? Can anyone shine in on this one?
Old 11-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99DiscoMan View Post
At Napa Auto Parts, they listed 2 switches which were incorrect for my 99 Disco Auto Trans. After researching, it was listed in their book as Manual Trans; Part # SL811 ($38). Installed switch and works fine, but shifter is unlocked at all times with accessory key on or engine running. I thought the shifter only unlocks until the brake pedal is depressed? Can anyone shine in on this one?
Gently grab the plunger and pull it toward the brake pedal lever. It will sort of ratchet.

You just need to adjust it.
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default same problem!

working on my husbands classic 1993 rover - stuck in park (similar problem with my old freelander), brake lights are out, i assume its the brake light switch. my husband wanted to replace the entire gear box (he ordered a used one)... seems a little excessive, so i have convinced him to replace the switch first (tried the fuse, didn't work), located the switch (the one above the cruise control), but can't figure out how to remove it without breaking the plastic surrounding it. can anyone give me any pointers? any help is appreciated!! i've tried looking in both the shop manual and the owner's manual, no help in either...
Elizabeth2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 09:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have two dico's. My 97 xd has never had the problem and neither has the 00 d2 but i was driving a friends 96 and it got stuck in park. found out that the turn signal fuse under the dash is part of the shiftlock wiring. put in a new fuse and drive home. THEN fogure out what blew the fuse. If you shut it off again before you get to tools you better have a new fuse ready. that or dont use the turn signals
gasnell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.