Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Intermittant AC blower

4K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  redtruck12 
#1 ·
The Mrs said her ac blower in the D2 doesnt come on - itermittantly.
(Although she didnt use the term “intermittantly” ha!)

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
#5 ·
I've had that happen in the past when the blower motor was going bad.

#8 ·
Picking this one back up....

I did the fuse bypass but the fan blower is still intermittent.

If she puts the blower on set to Non-recycled air, it typically comes on after driving a few minutes.

Relay?

Any direction ( Fery ) on diagnosing “from the top” would be appreciated.

With your direction I can practice what I learned from the window motor and electrical library experience.

Thanks!

#9 ·
How did you do the fuse bypass? piggiback from F7 to the blower's plug or how

Try to set the blower to maximum speed and see then, if it's not intermittent on max speed only on all the others then the problem is with the power transistor or it's circuit, to rule out other circuit issue make somehow to hook two wires to the blower's plug pins(C0056) bring them on the dash and let a voltmeter connected to them while the symptom occurs, white/red wire is (+)... if there is voltage while the blower doesnt work the problem is with the motor, if the voltage is missing too you'll have to see what's missing so let positive voltmeter probe hooked to the WR wire, connect the other to earth somewhere and see then and report the results and we'll speak again cos this troubeshooting must go step by step and it's hard to cover all the possibilities from the beginning

#10 ·
Will do.

The intermittent issue is present w the fan blower set to Hi, which tells me it’s not the resistor. ✅

I just need the blower to be not working and the truck and me at the house all at the same time to test the voltage at/from the connector. ✅ (maybe i could fab something up for the mrs to tell me when she’s out and about).

Will report back.

Thanks..

#12 ·
Yes, as long as it's good contact in that plug and the pins are not loosened cos as you see that plug is connected directly to the motor and while it's power there the motor should run.

#16 ·
Replaced the blower motor.

Oddly, the old one was not working just before removing it, then worked on the bench.

No, no obstruction (remember, it worked intermittently).

So now i also have “a spare” one i guess. Hmmmm.

Any thoughts on why it would not work in the truck then magically work out of the truck.

Regardless, the new blower motor is in and working. I’m just always curious about how the voodoo rover magic works.

#17 ·
The blower you removed probably has an internal weak spot which reacts to movements or vibrations... don't consider it a working spare cos back on the truck might missbehave again

#18 ·
Yup sounds like worn brushes or worn commutator ring (internally worn)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.