Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

2004 Disco II larger tire on stock suspension

15K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  rexthor 
#1 ·
I've gone through a few threads as well as the Basic Tire Information sticky thread, but would like to hear more opinions or personal experience on putting larger tires on a 2004 Disco II with stock suspension. Ideally I'd like to not have to do any trimming (measurements according to tiresize.com):
Current/Stock:
255/55/18: 29.0" x 10.0"
Possible:
265/65/18: 31.6" x 10.4" (I've seen people say they have rubbing and some say they don't)
265/60/18: 30.5" x 10.4"
255/65/18: 31.1" x 10.0" (is there one that is 31.0" and a little wider that will fit?)

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I ran the 265/65-18 on my D2 and very little rubbing at full lock nothing that was worth worrying about. Truck looked great on them.

Reactions: elpaco313
#19 ·
@elpaco313 This is exactly the setup I was thinking of going with on my new (to me) 04 D2 HSE. Still has the air bags (new) but with terrafirma shocks (new). No lift. I have a set of those duratracs on a Wrangler and they are both the best looking and nicest driving tires I have put on it (even on the road). What is your impression of how the vehicle handles before/after?

#5 ·
I think they look a lot better than stock, but Lkstk is right: your speedometer and odometer are now inaccurate. Might be a small trade-off because those tires sure fill the holes well!

#7 ·
funny part is my D2 speedo was off when it was on stock tires, it read accurate with the bigger tires.

#11 ·
As for the lift...
I think that if most owners with what they consider to be "stock" suspension actually measure their actual ride height they will find that it is low at least 1 inch (spring, bushing and even body mount fatigue /wear).

I agree that doing a lift just for looks is just that - for looks.... But then I guess the same can be said for oversized tires.

Oversized tires and suspension lift will decrease fuel mileage, increase driveline stress, raise centre of gravity decrease braking efficiency
We can all argue to what extent but cannot deny the reality.

All that said.... I run 275/65r18 tires mainly because that is a common size with lots of options and a 2" lift that actually only works out to a little over an inch above stock height.

It looks COOL

#12 ·
Elpaco313
Measure your ride height.
I would estimate from your photo that you are at least an inch low in the rear and probably close to 2" in the front.
Suspension upgrade (springs) buy good ones ... O.M.E. , Terrafirma etc. AND Shocks ( you will almost definitely find yours are worn out unless the have been replaced writhing a few years.
As a Goodyear retailer . Thank you for buying our products:)

#14 ·
Hub centre to bottom edge of guard
...front 500mm +/- 15mm
...rear SLS 473mm +/- 15mm ...rear coils 485mm +/- 15mm.

#15 ·
You are going over all my past posts and anything with curse words you are issuing strikes. So if I am a cop and stop you for speeding .. I check camera database and issue tickets? That's baloney. If you want to kick me off this site because you're offended about my opinion of mechanics just abuse your authority and boot me. No need for a pretext. It's not like I've been a resigstered member on this website for almost TEN YEARS or anything ...

And I have a new story regarding the used tire put on my car ...

#17 ·
...more like random arm flailing and ranting.

Note to WLAD: You probably wouldn't show up at a nice family gathering where you knew absolutely no one and proceed to dance naked on their dining room table after pounding a half dozen shots followed by a keg stand and a couple bong hits. So if you plan to stick around, chill. Let people get to know your sense of humor. Ease into things. You clearly need this place and the knowledge of the people here way more than the place needs you. So, some table manners would be appropriate.

Or... if your common mannerisms include bluntly insulting entire segments of people, those people likely going to be represented on the venue you pick, expect some blow-back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.