Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum - View Single Post - Discovery II Running Rich
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Green Bean

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
My car threw the four codes I listed (along with codes for the two rear O2s) just as it began running rich about 8 months ago, and after throwing many parts at it I replaced the four O2s with
the first set I got about 5 months ago

The rear two took and those codes have never resurfaced, however the front two thew codes several days after
This was before I had fixed my multiple oil leaks, and I found my front two O2 connectors to be soaked in oil

I cleaned these thoroughly with break-clean and contact cleaner and wished the problem away, but they continued to throw codes

This led me to replace the front two sensors again (with the cheap sensors) about a month ago worrying that the oil had somehow destroyed the first set

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't tell you what brand the first O2 sensors were because my dad got them for me as a gift, but they were most likely very cheap
The second set I got was also the cheapest I could find, I bought them because I wanted to get some that would at least work for a while
(even if they were poor quality) so that I could eliminate them as a problem without making a significant investment

I reasoned that I could upgrade them when they stopped working if that was the case

If I need to buy more expensive sensors from Atlantic British or elsewhere let me know, money is tight but I'll do whatever I need to do to solve this problem

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have suspected a vacuum leak but have no experience dealing with them and do not know how to go about detecting one

I replaced the head gaskets because I had my front cover gasket blow while on was on the commute that I mentioned before and quickly redlined my engine,
after replacing the front cover gasket I misdiagnosed a blown head gasket so I went through with that repair

In the process, I found multiple sources of my everpresent oil leak: rear seal over pushrod area, oil pan gasket disintegrating, valve cover gaskets leaking

This running rich problem was present long before this repair and I made sure to closely examine the wiring harness and anything else I could think of, yet found no damage

Also, to respond to masantschi: Yes I can smell fuel when I run the car and my exhaust pipe is black

Christopher

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome