Just Buying Defender Tub / Body for Custom Build - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just Buying Defender Tub / Body for Custom Build

Hey All,

I am building an offroad buggy from the ground up. Its currently a combination of a stretched 1973 CJ5, 1986 CJ7 trans / transfer case, and a 1996 Saab 9000 Turbo engine.

Before I put the '73 CJ Body back on, I've been interested in the potential to put a defender body on it. Knowing that defenders are extremely expensive and rare in the US, I figure, why not just throw a defender body on my CJ frame? (Even a rotting junkyard defender will get over $10,000 here).

I did some googling, but could not find any sites of where to order the hood / fenders / grill / tub, etc.

Probably would not get doors or a roof, I'm mostly interested in the front-end and tub.

Does anyone have any ideas or advice for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 07:47 AM
Wounded Knee Moderator

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Interesting combination/conglomeration of parts there...... Check out Land Rover Defender Forum - Defender & Series Owners Community and take a look at the for sale section. You might want to toss a post up to see how folks react to the Jeep/Defender/Volvo marriage....... it might get a little heated. Seriously those guys are salt of the earth, they'll point you in the right direction.

97 SD - Altai Silver. Sold
94 Saturn SC2

Roverless and wandering

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF.

The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultragauge

Contact info for Paul Grant;

203-770-1699

Contact info for Will Tillery;

540-462-7353
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:39 AM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
even just the parts you have listed in poor condition are going to set you back $3k. The bulkhead being a very costly item even when in ok condition.

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol
2007 Chawton White LR3 Proud Rhino lift rods
1983 Trident Green 110, TerraFirma suspension, and bumpers
1991 Range Rover Classic Hunter Eastnor Green

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the recommendations. I wasn't sure if it was like classic Jeeps where you can get brand new body parts made from steel / aluminum / fiber glass / plastic from a variety of companies for almost every configuration of classic CJ you could imagine, for pretty reasonable prices.

With how big Defenders are in Europe / everywhere else in the world, I thought there could potentially be a massive aftermarket for people doing restorations.

I'll check over in the defender forums.

BTW it's a SAAB motor not Volvo - The SAAB guys would be awful cross if they heard you make that mistake
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 08:57 AM
Wounded Knee Moderator

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Uh, yep, I made a mistake.

97 SD - Altai Silver. Sold
94 Saturn SC2

Roverless and wandering

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF.

The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

Ultragauge

Contact info for Paul Grant;

203-770-1699

Contact info for Will Tillery;

540-462-7353
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 10:38 AM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boon4376 View Post

BTW it's a SAAB motor not Volvo - The SAAB guys would be awful cross if they heard you make that mistake
Yup just means later we can laugh about you having a bad DIC

Saab owners know what I mean.

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol
2007 Chawton White LR3 Proud Rhino lift rods
1983 Trident Green 110, TerraFirma suspension, and bumpers
1991 Range Rover Classic Hunter Eastnor Green

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
You can get new body and other panels from here Land Rover Defender 110 - YRM Metal Solutions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Defender

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in