Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

LR2 shuts down

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  CT090 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a 2008 LR2 for about 2 years now. Recently I've come across an issue which buzzes me, I've looked throughout the forums but couldn't find exact symptoms as mine.

To make it quick, while driving, the car no longer accelerates, losses power, and if I press the clutch the engine shuts down. If not in gear, the car simply shuts down. Oil light first shows up, then the battery, but nothing else. Sometimes "reduced engine performance" shows up, but dissapears the next time I turn it on. I have to press the button again to shut down everything and only then the car will start but with no guarantees of how long it will run.

There were 2 times when water got over the battery and some electrical components (the abs computer i think), once in a car wash and once when it rained, and that's when I thought I knew the cause. However the issue showed up 2 other times when I got fuel from a specific gas station. I had the car once put on an universal car tester and it showed fuel injector 2 and 4 were faulty. With fuel from other gas stations I had no issues with the car however.

I am now going to make an appointment at a Land Rover only service, it's a bit far, 150km, hope the car arrives on wheels. In the meantime does anyone have any idea what's going on? Is it really the injectors? The gasoline? The electrical components not completely dry yet?

Thanks for the patience of reading this.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well you know the water normally drains in the left and the right of the windscreen. The hole on the left, which is the battery's side, was filled with leafs and dust, the water couldn't drain and went under the hood, getting on the battery and some electrical components. The hood does have a rubber seal which should prevent water going under, but the battery's plastic cover goes beyond the rubber seal, making it practically useless. I could do some photos if needed with further explanation.

#4 ·
sounds like wet corroded wires are the issue. Also have the throttle body cleaned. The engine on that LR2 is a Ford/Volvo V6.
Dave

#5 ·
Thank you, I will look into it.
Thought it might have something to do with the fuel injectors as well but can't know for sure until I get it tested.

This came with bad timing, just when police took my papers for having the windows tinted, lol.
Hopefully it's nothing serious. It's really annoying not being able to rely on your vehicle.

#7 ·
Water won't do anthing to your battery, unless you submerged it and allowed it to remain submerged for a period of time. And it's unlikely that water got into control units from what you describe. Your best course is the one you're already on. Let a pro look at it.

It's not a Rover dealer you're taking it to, is it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.