LR2 Tailgate won't open! - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LR2 Tailgate won't open!

Hi! New to the forum, looks like everyone is terribly helpful to each other and that's a community I need to belong to!

I have an '08 LR2 HSE. Yesterday the tailgate decided to not open, but the car thought it was open and I received the message that it was open and the interior lights stayed on during my 1.5 hour commute!

My husband opened the back panel (from the inside) but couldn't get it off completely. He was able to "pull the plug" (no idea what that refers to) to make the car think the trunk was closed so we could lock it and the interior floor lights & trunk lights would go off. But we can't open it and I am afraid to try & see if it is working today because I won't be able to lock it all day!

Does anyone know how to fix this ourselves from the inside...with the door closed?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 10:22 AM

Can't help with how difficult it is to replace, but can't be too difficult. I had mine fixed under warranty and it took the mechanic about 10 minutes to disassemble, replaced the electronic switch, then reassemble. I watched him from a distance so couldn't see exactly what he did.

Doug

2008, LR2 HSE, Technology and lighting packages, 19" wheels, Zermatt Silver, K&N Air Filter
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 03:28 PM

You've probably already solved this, but here's my experience:

I had this problem once. I was under the impression that something was stuck in the latch area (ie, a strap). The car thought the tailgate was open and would honk when I attempted to lock it.

I was able to open it by having someone pull on the outside (not too hard as to prevent them from pulling off the handle/trim) while I applied about 150lbs of force from the inside. It took everything I had but I was able to get it to pop open without damage.

After I opened the tailgate I couldn't find anything blocking the latch. The problem hasn't recurred. Strange.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 LR2

Installed tow hitch, bull bar, roof rack, hitch-mounted winch, and all-terrain tires. Photos and more details @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Looking to install a front-bumper hitch, lift-kit (if I can find one), rear access ladder, front sump guard and rear tank guard.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 06:20 PM

I had the problem on our 2008 LR2 as well.. it would open with the key fob but not open with the rear hatch switch.

Dealer took 2 hours to diagnose and over a month to get the replacement switch. then another two hours to replace. OMG I could have done it my self in 1/2 hour.

Switch failed @ 28k wife driven and hatch used only at shopping excursions when items purchased wound not fit in back seat area.

Fortunately it was under warranty along with the rear end failure too.....

What a POS! We love it but it scares the hell out of our retirement, vehicle repair budget..............

CB
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 08:03 AM

I got the same problem on my 2008 LR2, Could you please tell me know you got it open?

Thanks.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 01:49 PM

Hi I'm having the same problem with the LR2 HSE 2008 tailgate door and thinking latch is stuck in it. Given that it's sunday, I can't take it to a shop. Going to try kicking from inside later today, and will provide update if that works.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 01:20 PM

Hi,

This problem occured to me today as well. I am wondering how to open the tailgate from the inside, can anyone describe what the procedure would be?

Latch is not reacting from any of the button, keyfob or emergency buttons on central unit.

Of course it's annoying not to be able to shut the car with the remote...

Thanks in advance!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 06:53 PM

yes, i know this is an old forum but it still doesn't have an answer.

Is there any way to open the tailgate manually? i can hear the it make a noise trying to open when pushing the button on the tailgate or using key fob or even the lock/unlock procedure. does anyone know where the wires are to get it open? is it cause they are broken? I've prayed back the lower plastic trim on the inside but can't remove it because it going around the latch.

I've searched the forums and youtube for about an hour and can't find anything helpful relating to this.

Thanks in advnace!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 11:38 AM

hello all,

Anyone had a solution ?

I disassembled from inside the panel and the latch from the tailgate door but they are still stuck in the stricker

Thk you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3317.JPG
Views:	1064
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	70442   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	1056
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	70450  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:38 AM

Hi
I followed the same u did
If u noticed small hole another side just stuck small plastic hit with small screw driver it will unlocked
This all happens due to spring failure that happened to me
Order the part and DIY save the tons of labour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Freelander / LR2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in