spair tire, tire pressure monitor - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
spair tire, tire pressure monitor

hey guys, I recently had to replace one of my tire pressure monitors because I cracked a valve stem. The shop I go to is a good place, they ordered the part directly from my local dealer. They replaced for it for me and worked great. Now my tire pressure monitor is going off for the spair tire. It says to check the pressure on that. Keep in mind I never used this tire before, never even removed it from the trunk. It was down to about 20pounds, so I put 44 in because thats what the tire says. The warning is still on. Any suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 04:03 PM

Is the light on solid or flashing?

2002 Disco
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

The yellow light is on for only 10 seconds or so then it turns off, the little "i" is on the screen and if you click through it, it says check spare tire pressure. The light doesnt stay on like it would when any other tire is low and it is not saying there is a system fault with the TPM

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 07:34 PM

What's the year and model? That doesn't sound like normal TPMS behavior. But I haven't had to trouble shoot problems like that. If you're a Costco member I'd be willing to take a look with my computer. What area are you in?

2002 Disco
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

its a 2008 LR2 HSE. i am in the scranton, pa area, looks like pretty far away from you. I am also a good hour and 45 minutes away from the closest dealer, not that I have the $$ to pay for whatever they will tell me! Am I correct with putting 44lbs in that tire?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Also do these monitors need to be relearned into the system or anything like that, or are they just plug and play
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 10:40 PM

I'll look up your proper tire pressure when I work next. Most systems need some sort of relearn procedure. I'm guessing you're reading the you're pressure from the tire. Unless you plan on maxing out the tires weight limit you can disregard that number. Instead open your driver door and look for a sticker or plaque that sites front rear and spare tire pressure along the door edge or frame.

2002 Disco
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate your time in responding to me, is the relearn procedure a basic thing or do I need special equipment. I looked on the side of my door, doesnt mention the extra tire, which is not full sized on my vehicle.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 09:29 PM

For non full sized spare tires they usually have a sticker on the wheel or markings on the rubber that tell you what it should be filled to. Can you take a picture of your spare, most importantly the valve stem on the spare? I'm doubtful you have a sensor there, but I've never had a LR2 at my tire shop. If there is no spare tire sensor them it should be something you can clear from that screen I think.

Most vehicles need a special computer that teaches it the new sensor data. Some can do so automatically, but that's not very common.

2002 Disco
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:15 PM

18 in wheels take 32psi and 19a take 35. My book shows auto relearn, so if the spare has a sensor it may not relearn correctly while being over inflated.

2002 Disco
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Land Rover Master Mechanic

Did your car have a full size spare? Most LR2 had temp spares.
As far as your Tpms sensor goes. You should replace the other remaining sensors. They have been known to get brittle and break.The other ones may do the same thing if you check pressures or add air. Rover has come out with a "new formula" for the sensors and have black threads. the older ones were aluminum and are known to get brittle with age
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

I called my closest dealer, which is almost 2 hrs away, in Allentown, PA...They told me that my spare tire doesnt have a sensor because it isn't a full size tire. It is a 17" even though my others are 19". Makes me wonder why the computer would say check spare tire pressure when it isnt linked up to the system? Why would that even be an option? I just dont have the time to go to the dealer to have them look at it.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 10:19 AM

Good to know this info to avoid the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatim29 View Post
I called my closest dealer, which is almost 2 hrs away, in Allentown, PA...They told me that my spare tire doesnt have a sensor because it isn't a full size tires. It is a 17" even though my others are 19". Makes me wonder why the computer would say check spare tire pressure when it isnt linked up to the system? Why would that even be an option? I just dont have the time to go to the dealer to have them look at it.I just dont have the time to go to the dealer to have them look at it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
video collection
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 11:48 AM

Bumping a very old thread, but I just experienced this exact same problem. Replaced all 4 rolling tpms sensors with oe units. After getting programmed by my local tire shop, I cam getting a "check spare tire pressure" fault even though pressure is fine. I imagine this is a programming issue, any ideas on resolution? It is a 17" spare (car came with 18" wheels).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Freelander / LR2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in