Question... - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lightbulb Question...

Besides all the armor, weapons, and wheels...what are the differences between the Military and Civilian D90s???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 04:29 AM
Goofing off in the great white north.

The most notable difference between a current military defender and a civilian one is that the chassis' are reenforced to a great extent and the suspensions are heavier. I have some magazines that have some good articles about them at home. I'll try to find them next time I go to CT. I think there are some books out there that cover military rovers in great detail.

"A deep respect for tradition allows vision for liberation from stagnation."

1969 Series IIA 88" Pickup
1972 Series III 88" SW
1983 Series III 109" V8 SW
1997 Discovery XD
1998 BMW F650 Funduro
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 01:25 AM

The chassis are normally stronger, axles have extra braces on them designating them heavy duty, springs are normally uprated, rear crossmembers are of a different shape to civilian and little extra things like a removable gearbox crossmember for easier access to the gearbox.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 02:58 AM
The Best 4X4XFar

I think it depends on the military vehicle in question and the age.

Also aren't all the current military 90's still using the 399Tdi and not the Td5?

I know early military examples where often more spares in terms of spec, like lacking powersteering. And having slide windows.

Land Rover Discovery (3 Door) 200Tdi 5-speed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods:Allisport LARGE FMIC | Allisport Tuned | Simex Jungle Trekker II 33.11.50R15 Tyres | 15x8 8 Spokes | Heavy Duty Uprated Suspension (shocks & springs) | Wheel arch Flares | 1" Wheel Spacers | Custom Straight Thru Exhaust | Custom Trimmed Front bumper with twin NATO Hooks | Custom Rear Bumper with single Large NATO Hook 360˚ Swival | Front Light Guards | Custom Aluminium Rear Floor | Bonnet Straps | 100w Spot Lights | Upgraded Headlights

The Best 4X4XFar
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Spartan, I think would be the main difference on the int. 24v system. Jerry can holders in the body ( or was that just the 110 ? ) Early defenders still had the Perkins deisels. Different lighting for convoy use etc. etc. etc. But to be honest, with Military Rovers all you can really do is try to trace the way it was built when the Army took delivery of it. If the unit unit only saw service as a run around for a Army pay clerk or chef then it may still be orignial (somewhat). But if the unit saw any deployment or front line action it will be modified by the Army or the troops as needed. Given the long service of most military units it is hard to find two the exact same. If the the Rovers got mothballed at some point they will have had most of the non-Army approved squaddie aftermarket items removed. But some still do remain as civilian shops under Army contracts undertake this work. I myself operated a defender 110 and 90 with uprated springs, heavy duty skid plates, custom roll cage,engine performance mods, re-enforced suspension mounts and polly bushings !!! I know that some ex military Rovers (if not in GBR) are sold via civilian public auction at the end of the set service life of the unit or in the event of a roll over etc directly in the country they ended up in. Other than having the radios etc removed they are sold "as is" with all the mods still on. As for armourments as far is I know Britsh Army Rovers are not armoured at all (except the ones used in Northern Ireland and perhaps in Iraq now) and unlike the US Army and their Hummers the British Army Land Rovers are not bristling with machine guns, smoke grenade launchers and other optional extras (except specialy prepped SAS or assault versions on the 110 platform). The run of the mill Army defender was lucky to have a working service radio made in 1968 and a rife rack (for one rifle, the drivers) I suppose the Army thinks it has already spent enough money issuing each Soldier his/her very own rifle without going overboard and getting carried away with machine guns! afterall thats what Tanks are for!!! But to get back to the point of the thread Military Land Rovers are as different as the units they saw service with. As for roll down windows and power steering! WOW they have that now? When I was in the Army you called yourself lucky if it still had the seat cushions in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Lightweight / Forward Control

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in