Problem off road sand - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Problem off road sand

I have been driving off road sand for decades on the fine sand of the east end of Long Island. Yesterday I stopped to help someone that stuck in the sand
without using my DS to help.
I then proceeded to leave after this vehicle was able to get going. Knowing that the sand was so difficult due to the extreme heat I lowered my tires to 15 lbs.
For some crazy reason my transmission left the sand mode and was not able to go into sand mode and I found myself in a hell of a mess.

Does anyone have an explanation for why this happened? It cost me money and I also had the worst case of heat exhaustion I have ever experienced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZONE777 View Post
I have been driving off road sand for decades on the fine sand of the east end of Long Island. Yesterday I stopped to help someone that stuck in the sand
I then proceeded to leave after this vehicle was able to get going. Knowing that the sand was so difficult due to the extreme heat I lowered my tires to 15 lbs.
For some crazy reason my transmission left the sand mode and was not able to go into sand mode and I found myself in a hell of a mess.

Does anyone have an explanation for why this happened? It cost me money and I also had the worst case of heat exhaustion I have ever experienced.

What's the sand mode? You mean sport mode ?

1999 LR DII Performance Package with various Mods
Valentine One
Passport 9500ix
6 x Anti-Theft Camera System
2 x Anti-Theft Tracking devices
Veil Laser Paint
Anti-Laser Police Laser Jammer (5 heads + Dragon Eye protection) + Parking Sensors
Police Scanner + Waze
Powerful Pro-tuned CB-Radio with Fire-Stik
Remote+Hardwired License Plate Concealer
Armormax Bullet Proof Glass
Armormax Caltrop Deployment System
Steel Undercarriage Guards (Steering, Diff axles, Gas tank)
Voyager Roof Rack+six Jerrycans and five stacked Rotopax
Maxxis Razr Offroad Tires+Lift+LED bar
Allisport UK Aluminum Radiator
Allisport UK aluminum coolant tank with sight glass and coolant level sensor
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Quote:

My sister and brother in law are locals of Amagansett/East Hamton town ship, The Discovery Sport has large rims and small wall tires maybe that has something to do with the issue, maybe you deflated them to the point were the computer thought it had flats and it could not be driven properly, When sand is extremely hot you must air down, you are right about that. My cousin who has a LR2 2012 got also stuck at the beach there, due to small wall tires. I have driven my LR3 in the California dessert for hrs. I had 18" wheels with 255 60 18's Nitto Terra Grapplers AT's and it was 112F and had no issues without airing down much. Have LR South Hampton check it out.
Dave

The City is a Jungle.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present Land Rovers
1999 LR Disco II SD7 White 150K miles 'The Beach Boy' (PR truck)
2005 LR3/ D3 SE 4.4 Bonatti 'Fancy Professor' (my wife's LA LR3)
2005 LR3/ D3 SE 4.4 Bonatti 'The Rhino'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(my NYC LR3)
De-tangoed Headlights, LR4 Style Grille, Dueler Alenza HL 255/55/19

Past Land Rovers
1999 LR Disco II SD Niagara Grey 'Old Rhino' 200K+ miles (Sold)
1991 Range Rover Classic Green 'The Turtle' 200K+ miles (Sold)
1988 Range Rover Classic White 'The Rust Bucket' (Sold)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLADiscoII99 View Post
What's the sand mode? You mean sport mode ?

I think we all know that the S on the dial means sport and not sand, wouldn't that be convenient for me using the sand as much as I do.

Terrain mode is in a different place, covers mud, gravel, sand etc.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
I think we all know that the S on the dial means sport and not sand, wouldn't that be convenient for me using the sand as much as I do.

Terrain mode is in a different place, covers mud, gravel, sand etc.
I used Sand mode when on sand no issues on my 2005 LR3 and it still works very well for a 14 year old truck.
Dave

The City is a Jungle.

Present Land Rovers
(my NYC LR3)

Past Land Rovers
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariDave View Post
My sister and brother in law are locals of Amagansett/East Hamton town ship, The Discovery Sport has large rims and small wall tires maybe that has something to do with the issue, maybe you deflated them to the point were the computer thought it had flats and it could not be driven properly, When sand is extremely hot you must air down, you are right about that. My cousin who has a LR2 2012 got also stuck at the beach there, due to small wall tires. I have driven my LR3 in the California dessert for hrs. I had 18" wheels with 255 60 18's Nitto Terra Grapplers AT's and it was 112F and had no issues without airing down much. Have LR South Hampton check it out.
Dave
Thank you Dave for a very good reply. then the question to be answered is that by me airing down to 15 lbs for a extra precaution would be a factor for my vehicle leaving sand mode and not allowing me back into it. I believe this would be a difficult question to be answered.
In my time off roading I have helped many out of situations and always have the best tools for this purpose. I would never assist anyone with my DS but have in the past with all of my 4Runners which were all sport with 4wheel, truck chassis and 4 wheel Low.
See you on the sand and thank you for an excellent answer.

Joe
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Thank you Dave for a very good reply. then the question to be answered is that by me airing down to 15 lbs for a extra precaution would be a factor for my vehicle leaving sand mode and not allowing me back into it. I believe this would be a difficult question to be answered.
In my time off roading I have helped many out of situations and always have the best tools for this purpose. I would never assist anyone with my DS but have in the past with all of my 4Runners which were all sport with 4wheel, truck chassis and 4 wheel Low.
See you on the sand and thank you for an excellent answer.

Joe
You can compare a newer 4Runner to an LR3 and Jeep Commander, but not to the DS. An LR3 V8 as is, is off road ready. Maybe you can find some rims that are smaller and put taller tires on the DS that won't rub for driving on hot sand. On the LR3 you can fit 265 65 18's without needing a lift, some fit 275 65 18's by adding a lift. Don't know what would be the tallest tire you could put on a DS with the rims you have so you can then deflate for sand driving. As you know the DS in an entry level LR. It's a well made concept, it's also the re-named LR2/Freelander. The LR3 is a Discovery 3 in Europe.
Dave

The City is a Jungle.

Present Land Rovers
(my NYC LR3)

Past Land Rovers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in