Largest tires that will fit after installation of Johnson Rods - Page 2 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just purchased a Land Rover Discovery HSE Lux, and it comes with 21” rims. A quick search suggest there aren’t really any “off road” tires at that size. Perhaps I’m wrong?

Should I switch them to 20”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPenquinn View Post
I just purchased a Land Rover Discovery HSE Lux, and it comes with 21” rims. A quick search suggest there aren’t really any “off road” tires at that size. Perhaps I’m wrong?

Should I switch them to 20”
20" wheels are standard. When you say "...it comes with 21" rims" do you mean that you've already taken possession of one so equipped? If so, talk to the dealer while you're still a new customer and maybe he'll work a deal for you to trade your 21s for a set of 20s. Otherwise, you may have to bust out for a set of 20" wheels to go with the tires you'll need for serious off-roading.
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 04:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Personally I would not be lifting or fitting larger tyres to a modern 4WD. Too many computers monitoring too much and designed to interfere with the car if they detect anything they do not like.

post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by p76rangie View Post
Personally I would not be lifting or fitting larger tyres to a modern 4WD. Too many computers monitoring too much and designed to interfere with the car if they detect anything they do not like.
Has Jaguar Land Rover Limited published any warnings to support this? I would need to see concrete, reliable data before regarding this as a serious problem.

2017 Discovery HSE Td6, 5-Seat, Capability Package
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel 4x4
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 12:03 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
not that I have seen and they are even selling them with oversized tires from the dealer and as a factory option.

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol
2007 Chawton White LR3 Proud Rhino lift rods
1983 Trident Green 110, TerraFirma suspension, and bumpers
1991 Range Rover Classic Hunter Eastnor Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar077 View Post
Has Jaguar Land Rover Limited published any warnings to support this? I would need to see concrete, reliable data before regarding this as a serious problem.
I am not saying that it is or is not an issue. I would be cautious about doing it as there is a lack of definitive answers out there and it would differ from vehicle to vehicle, mod to mod.

Maybe you should read this and see if you think that your vehicle will still meet the safety standards. http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/MIC...10-01-2342.pdf
It appears that some manufacturers take it seriously and Procomp actually put their mods through the proper test procedure to make sure the vehicle was still compliant. Maybe Johnson Rods can show their data when they put their mods through the required tests.

Maybe this article from "pickup trucks" in the US will add some light.
As America’s most customized vehicles, pickup trucks are often fitted with specialized aftermarket equipment. However, when an owner alters a vehicle’s wheels, tires, suspension, steering or anything that affects the center of gravity, the stability system could be compromised. This could theoretically include putting a roof rack with a spare tire on top, adding larger tires or an off-road suspension, or even changing to a different-size steering wheel.
Adding complexity: pickup truck stability control systems require special calibration settings that can exceed that of cars and crossovers because most trucks are rear-wheel drive and ESC response has to account for when a truck is hauling a load over those wheels in the cargo box and when it’s empty.
So far, nobody really knows exactly which alterations can be tolerated without compromising a stability system, but it’s clear the arrival of these systems will be a game-changing event for both owners and the aftermarket.
To get a sense of what would happen if modifications were indiscriminately made to a new pickup with stability control, we asked GM’s full-size truck vehicle line director Mike Tulumello.
“Systems integrated to compliance [with mandatory stability control] could be harder to monkey with,“ Tulumello said.
He explained that the electronic systems are so interwoven, it’s hard not to affect some aspect of stability control when you change the handling charateristics of the truck by adding or replacing driveline or suspension hardware.
“Everything has to talk,” Tulumello said. “It’s all integrated. They’re not independent systems.”
Customizing a pickup truck could be risky, he said, “depending on how you do it. More and more, as you alter center of gravity, you’ll get yaw sensors that predict rollover and you’ll get false airbag deployments, things like that.”
Nick Cappa, spokesman for Chrysler, agreed that modifications could be problematic.
“Engineers design, test and optimize performance on factory tires and suspension,” he said. “Modifications, tampering with safety devices and the installation of some aftermarket parts can create unforeseen issues with stability and safety systems.”
The widespread use of stability control technology has prompted manufacturers of suspensions, wheels and tires to begin to study stability systems and what can be done to allow owners to continue to confidently install specialty equipment.
Legally, should an accident occur, the aftermarket parts manufacturer and installer could be targeted, whether the accident was caused by the alterations or not. Once the safety equipment becomes government-mandated, altering a vehicle’s dynamics might even be considered tampering -- a federal offense. The worst-case concern is that aftermarket modifications for pickup trucks could be legislated out of existence.
post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 04:52 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Garage
Here ya go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	83217  

Happy Happy Happy

2002 D2 se7 6 seater . complete engine rebuild with flanged liners , 2 inch lift, terrafirma shocks, LT 275/65r18 Cooper stt tires, d1 modified front bumper, safety devices rack, 30" l.e.d. Light bar
2004 D2 se5 (sold)
2001 D2 se5 (parts truck)
2000 D2 se7 (retired)
1997 D1 (sold)
1957 Series 1 88" future projet
2006 Suburu legacy outback (gets me around when the disco is not)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by p76rangie View Post
I am not saying that it is or is not an issue. I would be cautious about doing it as there is a lack of definitive answers out there and it would differ from vehicle to vehicle, mod to mod.[/I][/B]
It's all about personal liberty and freedom. While I may not choose to modify my truck to the degree shown in the document at your link, I will proactively and vigorously defend the rights of other owners to do so. And just as companies like EFILive now market computer applications that enable owners to modify their vehicles' engine control modules and transmission control modules, I've no doubt that similar applications will be developed to enable owners to modify their vehicles' ESC settings to compensate for specifically defined suspension modifications and vehicle load configurations.

post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 07:02 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

I'm going to die, my LR3 is lifted, has bigger tires, roof rack, spare on the rack, roof top tent, and coil sprung. It's amazing I'm still alive to type this.
SafariDave likes this.

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol

post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
I'm going to die, my LR3 is lifted, has bigger tires, roof rack, spare on the rack, roof top tent, and coil sprung. It's amazing I'm still alive to type this.
It is.
Why would you do that to a vehicle. Putting all that weight on the roof and a lift. It would handle poorly.
But a LR3 has minor computer control compared to an LR5, which is what this part of the forum is about.
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 04:45 AM

I think it is interesting that Land Rover Engineers limit the speed you can drive the vehicle at various heights. This is obviously due to the height affecting computer controlled functions on the vehicle. That is the faster you go, the more likely you will trigger these safety systems.
But then you guys state that it is your right to modify your vehicles to outside these safety constraints.
You are right, it is your vehicle. But you should warn people travelling in your vehicle that you have decided to reduce their safety to make your vehicle look better.

It is amazing that a developed country would put the rights of the individual higher than the community as a whole. This clearly shows in the lack of vehicle standards in the USA. The US has the third highest death rate from motor vehicles of all the OECD countries. You are only slightly outdone by Chile and Argentina. At around 10 deaths per 100,000 people, you are nearly double the average for OECD countries. Australia is right around the average as we have national rules about what you can do to a vehicle. But I suppose that it is the same argument you have about guns.

"Land Rover’s four-corner air suspension has a two-stage off-road mode with ride heights of +40mm and +75mm. At speeds below 50km/h the +75mm setting is available and for faster speeds on rutted dirt roads, between 50-80km/h, the vehicle will operate at +40mm. In addition, the new Speed Lowering function cuts drag and enhances fuel economy by automatically reducing the ride height by 13mm at cruising speeds above 105km/h."
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 04:45 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

I disagree it handles no worse in normal driving than my stock one. Doesn't ride as smoothly though as the EAS equipped truck.

Guessing you have returned all your vehicles to stock than Ian?

If you think that modified vehicles are the cause of traffic deaths over here you are poorly informed and have obviously not spent much time on the roads over here.

1972 MGB

post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 06:41 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Garage
This is getting quite off topic....
Good topic for the lounge?

Happy Happy Happy

2002 D2 se7 6 seater . complete engine rebuild with flanged liners , 2 inch lift, terrafirma shocks, LT 275/65r18 Cooper stt tires, d1 modified front bumper, safety devices rack, 30" l.e.d. Light bar
2004 D2 se5 (sold)
2001 D2 se5 (parts truck)
2000 D2 se7 (retired)
1997 D1 (sold)
1957 Series 1 88" future projet
2006 Suburu legacy outback (gets me around when the disco is not)
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the course correction!

post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Guessing you have returned all your vehicles to stock than Ian?
My 1976 Rangie Pickup has no electronics and only a 2inch body lift.
My am very cautious in regard what I do with my wife's car that has recently been changed from a Discovery 1 to a Volvo XC 90. The amount of electronics in the Volvo is unreal and how simple things like wiring the trailer plug wrong can affect the handling and performance of the car.

Quote:
If you think that modified vehicles are the cause of traffic deaths over here you are poorly informed and have obviously not spent much time on the roads over here.
I am not saying that such modification cause accidents, but they increase the risk of death and injury to the occupants if an accident occurs. They can certainly prevent an accident in the first place.
sierrafery likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Land Rover Discovery 5 forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in