Some reviews of the new Disco - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
VW Dieselgate beneficiary

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Top Gear's newest host has glowing praise:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big...-ultimate-test
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
ALL BOUGHT AND PAID FOR by TATA Motors and shareholders.

I was considering purchasing one of these and did a test drive. These New "Discovery's" are an a absolute joke. They might look cool to some people. Not to me. They are Land Rover now in name only. Land Rover is now owned by TATA MOTORS INDIA. This was the same Tata motors that produced the worlds cheapest car. They took a smart car and cut corners until a homeless person could afford it. $1,000 USD for a brand new car. That is the foundation/roots of the Indian company that now owns Land Rover. Cutting corners. They are profiting from the brand name only. These cars are NOT Land Rovers.

If you have anything from the LR3 and before - You have a real Land Rover and I strongly suggest holding onto it. I don't buy one of these reviews - not a single one. They are all paid for propaganda. Not worth it even for the name - Unless we are talking about the super high end Range Rovers - and honestly - I think there are better choices for that kind of money.
If Land Rover was still owned by Land Rover UK or even Ford - and remaining true to its roots you would see an evolution of the rugged exterior with a luxurious interior equaling or rivaling a Lexus or H2. Ruggedness outside - ultimate superior offroad performance - total lux inside.

For upwards of $70,000.00 MSRP the new Land Rover Discoveries don't even come close. This rounded windswept design and rounded front - has nothing to do with ruggedness. The marketing salesmen proclaim this is an offroad vehicle? Please. This new Discovery would get stuck in a sand box. Any Defender, Discovery 1 or 2 - a real Land Rover 100% made in UK - or any LR3 - would easily beat these newer Land Rovers. They are a joke to look at. They are NOT Land Rovers. The controls and options are the same as almost any other low or mid priced car or SUV (for example, even a KIA) loaded with options - nothing special.

I own a Discovery II. And in terms of a real Land Rover appeal and performance I actually consider my DII totally superior to all these new Land Rovers. Adding in the traditional high repair costs associated with Land Rover's there is no way I would be interested in purchasing these new Discoveries - Not even for 1/2 price.

Read the comments on those articles and see what others are saying. One comment say's it's a glorified Kia. Could not agree more. I will continue to hold onto my Land Rover Discovery 2 - until Land Rover starts to actually design and produce Land Rovers again.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLADiscoII99 View Post
ALL BOUGHT AND PAID FOR by TATA Motors and shareholders.

I was considering purchasing one of these and did a test drive. These New "Discovery's" are an a absolute joke. They might look cool to some people. Not to me. They are Land Rover now in name only. Land Rover is now owned by TATA MOTORS INDIA. This was the same Tata motors that pro...- until Land Rover starts to actually design and produce Land Rovers again.
Well, I bought one and I love it. It goes places with ease that my buddy's D2 can't, and it does it more comfortably.

They're running them in Moab on Hell's Revenge on stock Goodyears (which, actually, racing slicks would be even better on that slickrock, but still...).

As for "Land Rovers in name only" - Not sure where you get your evidence, but Tata has pumped over $1B into JLR and hired senior management from Ford and BMW to implement the strategy that Ford developed and Tata has left in place. JLR is a separate P&L under Tata, whereas it was part of a larger portfolio under Ford and thus had to compete (poorly) for funding. JLR finally has the resources to remain relevant.

Your biggest complaint seems to be the looks? Thank Ford. They not only approved it, but they stole it and implemented it on the Exploder, which is a joke of an SUV. Rugged looks mean nothing, especially when faced with ever-tightening fuel economy and emissions requirements. I guarantee you're going to hate - HATE - the new Defender when it debuts. So will many others, but time marches on - I'd rather see companies with heritage like Jaguar and Land Rover innovate to stay relevant rather than be relegated to a footnote in history, fondly remembered but nonexistant.
SafariDave likes this.

Yes, I do take it off-road.
----------------------------
2017 Discovery HSE Td6

Last edited by DieselRanger; 06-07-2018 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Refuted statement that "this Discovery would get stuck in a sand box" with evidence.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 03:46 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
He has no evidence and probably no real experience either. Otherwise he would know the LR4 is even more capable than the LR3. Let's not forget the RRS etc
SafariDave likes this.

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol
2007 Chawton White LR3 Proud Rhino lift rods
1983 Trident Green 110, TerraFirma suspension, and bumpers
1991 Range Rover Classic Hunter Eastnor Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
The D2 was redesigned by BMW when they purchased LR in late 90's or so.
The new Land Rovers are so much more reliable and better than ever not my cup of tea in design, but to each its own. From talking to many LR mechanics the V8 4.4 jag engine on the LR3 is still one of their most reliable, even more than the 5.0 on the LR4 althoe the 5.0 has more power to push the heavy beast, but has issues with internal oil leaks and many replaced water pumps) Now the Diesel engine on LR3/D3 is not a reliable engine.
Dave

The City is a Jungle.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present Land Rovers
1999 LR Disco II SD7 White 150K miles 'The Beach Boy' (PR truck)
2005 LR3/ D3 SE 4.4 Bonatti 'Fancy Professor' (my girl's LA LR3)
2005 LR3/ D3 SE 4.4 Bonatti 'The Rhino'
(my NYC LR3)
De-tangoed Headlights, LR4 Style Grille, Dueler Alenza HL 255/55/19

Past Land Rovers
1999 LR Disco II SD Niagara Grey 'Old Rhino' 200K+ miles (Sold)
1991 Range Rover Classic Green 'The Turtle' 200K+ miles (Sold)
1988 Range Rover Classic White 'The Rust Bucket' (Sold)
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
He has no evidence and probably no real experience either. Otherwise he would know the LR4 is even more capable than the LR3. Let's not forget the RRS etc

Land Rover was purchased by Tata. Tata is known for cutting corners. Tata's claim to fame is producing the worlds cheapest car and turning a profit.
$1,000 brand new.

I test drove it through a small obstacle course on the dealers lot. It's a glorified Kia and I don't like the way it looks. Comfortable? Yes. So is a Kia.

I have a hard time believing it would outperform the D1 or D2 offroad. Would love to see a "vs" video. Hopefully they will have one soon.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselRanger View Post
Well, I bought one and I love it. It goes places with ease that my buddy's D2 can't, and it does it more comfortably.

They're running them in Moab on Hell's Revenge on stock Goodyears (which, actually, racing slicks would be even better on that slickrock, but still...).

As for "Land Rovers in name only" - Not sure where you get your evidence, but Tata has pumped over $1B into JLR and hired senior management from Ford and BMW to implement the strategy that Ford developed and Tata has left in place. JLR is a separate P&L under Tata, whereas it was part of a larger portfolio under Ford and thus had to compete (poorly) for funding. JLR finally has the resources to remain relevant.

Your biggest complaint seems to be the looks? Thank Ford. They not only approved it, but they stole it and implemented it on the Exploder, which is a joke of an SUV. Rugged looks mean nothing, especially when faced with ever-tightening fuel economy and emissions requirements. I guarantee you're going to hate - HATE - the new Defender when it debuts. So will many others, but time marches on - I'd rather see companies with heritage like Jaguar and Land Rover innovate to stay relevant rather than be relegated to a footnote in history, fondly remembered but nonexistant.
I have no hard evidence yet. Only a test drive at the dealership, specualtion and opinion. Tata Motors is based in India. They are known for cutting corners in an "innovative" (and oxymoron if you ask me) way. Land Rover doesn't need corners cut. It need to be made stronger and more reliable.

I don't like the way it looks because its not in line with tradition. Land Rover is an offroad safari vehicle. It's about exploration and forging ahead. These cars are highway cars. Pop outs. Aerodynamic gas savers. This isn't what Land Rovers roots are about. Imagine Hummer doing this. A lancy aerodynamic gas saver. It would not be a Hummer anymore. Hummer has a distinct look. So does Jeep. So does Land Rover. These new cars are glorified Kia's with Land Rover logos. Follow those links and read some of the comments.

I'm glad you like your car and I don't mean to be rude. But these newer cars - I dislike them very much. They are not British. I don't even consider them Land Rovers anymore.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
I read the article above "...first drive review." I think that guy must work for LR.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I have no hard evidence yet.
Noted.

Quote:
Tata Motors is based in India. They are known for cutting corners in an "innovative" (and oxymoron if you ask me) way. Land Rover doesn't need corners cut. It need to be made stronger and more reliable.
If you've paid attention to anything about the brand over the last four to six years, and specifically to the design and development of the D5, then you would realize making it stronger and more reliable is exactly what they've done. It's stiffer, stronger, has better off-road geometry, and is built on the RRS platform with the same engines and running gear, which beat Acura and Audi in JD Power's 3-year durability ratings.

Quote:
They are not British. I don't even consider them Land Rovers anymore.
What makes a British car? Does it need to catch on fire when you drive it through puddles? Fill the fuel tank with water when wading? Should you require a mechanic and several support vehicles on your safari? Should the switch wiring degrade to the point where a switch activates a random feature, or fails to activate anything at all? Should it leak oil while hanging on in quiet desperation in your driveway?

Sorry, but the old Land Rover was a dinosaur headed for extinction. It was within months of being put out of its misery. It's more British now than it was under Ford...Ford just didn't want to (and couldn't) invest the money required to keep it alive, so they sold it for a loss after assessing the business plan they created for it. Tata bought them, pumped real money into it, and promptly made them independently operated - JLR is now the largest automaker in England, and employs more UK employees than it ever has. Not sure how you can say a $1.2B investment is "cutting corners" when Ford refused to do the same.

If you don't like it, fine, go get yourself a G-Wagen. They're still ugly and over-hyped...should be a good fit for you.

2017 Discovery HSE Td6
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
I test drove the D5 V6 when it first came out. It's like driving a RRS V6, its smooth, comfy and nice, more like an over-sized luxury crossover, but its not a truck. The LR4 was the end of the LR truck era. Does the D5 have power? Yes, can it off road? Yes. Is it a classic LR design? No, but all LR products have evolved.
Its still a darn good LR. Just not a truck, but what the market calls for now. Not my cup of tea. Would I take one if it was given to me? Hell yeah! Would I buy one? prob not. I will wait for the Defender. If I don't like the new Defender. I might just do the RRS then or a LR4.
Dave

The City is a Jungle.

Present Land Rovers
1999 LR Disco II SD7 White 150K miles 'The Beach Boy' (PR truck)
2005 LR3/ D3 SE 4.4 Bonatti 'Fancy Professor' (my girl's LA LR3)
2005 LR3/ D3 SE 4.4 Bonatti 'The Rhino'
(my NYC LR3)
De-tangoed Headlights, LR4 Style Grille, Dueler Alenza HL 255/55/19

Past Land Rovers
1999 LR Disco II SD Niagara Grey 'Old Rhino' 200K+ miles (Sold)
1991 Range Rover Classic Green 'The Turtle' 200K+ miles (Sold)
1988 Range Rover Classic White 'The Rust Bucket' (Sold)
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 07:56 AM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Quote:
Land Rover was purchased by Tata. Tata is known for cutting corners. Tata's claim to fame is producing the worlds cheapest car and turning a profit.
$1,000 brand new.

I test drove it through a small obstacle course on the dealers lot. It's a glorified Kia and I don't like the way it looks. Comfortable? Yes. So is a Kia.

I have a hard time believing it would outperform the D1 or D2 offroad. Would love to see a "vs" video. Hopefully they will have one soon.

Most articles I have read said the nano was sold at a loss and also it was closer to $1500.

That aside I have seen the D5 on the trails at RAW Wheeling with all the rest of the family line and doing great.

Stock vs stock the D5 would wipe the floor with a D1/2 doesn't matter if you would have a hard time with it or not the reality of it won't change.

I remember when people proclaimed Land Rover was dead when the LR3 started rolling off the assembly line. Looking around they couldn't be more wrong..
SafariDave and redtruck12 like this.

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol
2007 Chawton White LR3 Proud Rhino lift rods
1983 Trident Green 110, TerraFirma suspension, and bumpers
1991 Range Rover Classic Hunter Eastnor Green

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariDave View Post
Its still a darn good LR. Just not a truck, but what the market calls for now.
For better or worse, it's also what governments are mandating now, as well, in order to drive consumer choice in terms of fuel economy, crash safety, and emissions. LR could certainly have made "farm implements" that weren't road-legal and that look and perform like the original Defender and D1/2, but nobody would buy them.
SafariDave likes this.

2017 Discovery HSE Td6
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by /ArmyRover View Post
Most articles I have read said the nano was sold at a loss and also it was closer to $1500.

That aside I have seen the D5 on the trails at RAW Wheeling with all the rest of the family line and doing great.

Stock vs stock the D5 would wipe the floor with a D1/2 doesn't matter if you would have a hard time with it or not the reality of it won't change.

I remember when people proclaimed Land Rover was dead when the LR3 started rolling off the assembly line. Looking around they couldn't be more wrong..
Wipe the floor? You are nuts!

The D5 stock is a 6 Cylinder engine! It's not going anywhere in serious offroad conditions. The D1, and D2 are proven offroad champions.

You would need a vs video (i.e Land Rover vs. Jeep) but based on what I felt driving this thing - no way. 6 cylinder. Better emissions. Ha ha Ha. Who cares.

Land Rovers core fan base doesn't own/maintain these cars for their "safety" ratings, "fuel economy" or emissions ratings. I own this car for it's unique presence, novelty, prowess, rugged looks, fun feel, and equally as important - the tradition and history behind the brand name. That history is a British history. Not Ford USA American. Not Tata Motors India. Imagine... Jeep selling out to China. A new generation of Chinese Jeeps. The core Jeep fan base would most likely not be very impressed with this move.

I'm glad the purchase worked out vs. Land Rover going under. I don't know if this is true or not but I'll take this guy at his word. It's good Tata invested kept the brand afloat and is making money. If Tata can find new generations of young suckers willing to pay 70k for a glorified Kia with a lux brand name fitted with Indian and Chinese parts - congratulations for them. Maybe some day in the future Land Rover can be purchased by a UK group and go back to it's British African Safari roots. A 6 cylinder luxury Kia with a Land Rover logo is not a Land Rover.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselRanger View Post
For better or worse, it's also what governments are mandating now, as well, in order to drive consumer choice in terms of fuel economy, crash safety, and emissions. LR could certainly have made "farm implements" that weren't road-legal and that look and perform like the original Defender and D1/2, but nobody would buy them.
Yes because when the government mandates something it must be good. Especially when they decide what should be legal or not. For better or for worse. Ah yes, those stocky rugged boxy "farm implements".. good riddance.. we all know nobody would by them after all .. it's not like old Defenders routinely go for over $100,000.00 or anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Land Rover Discovery 5 forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in