Some reviews of the new Disco - Page 2 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 04:05 AM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLADiscoII99 View Post
Wipe the floor? You are nuts!

The D5 stock is a 6 Cylinder engine! It's not going anywhere in serious offroad conditions. The D1, and D2 are proven offroad champions.

You would need a vs video (i.e Land Rover vs. Jeep) but based on what I felt driving this thing - no way. 6 cylinder. Better emissions. Ha ha Ha. Who cares.

Yet with a 4 cyl 60 hp engine Land Rover managed to conquer the corners of the earth....

No idea how the D5 with a 345 horsepower v6 will ever get anywhere. What's the power output like on that Buick V8 under your hood again? 188 hp?

Once again I have been out on the trails with them not the dealer parking lot, so I would suggest you go get your truck dirty at an event and see what the new rovers can do.

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol
2007 Chawton White LR3 Proud Rhino lift rods
1983 Trident Green 110, TerraFirma suspension, and bumpers
1991 Range Rover Classic Hunter Eastnor Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
VW Dieselgate beneficiary

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLADiscoII99 View Post
Yes because when the government mandates something it must be good. Especially when they decide what should be legal or not. For better or for worse. Ah yes, those stocky rugged boxy "farm implements".. good riddance.. we all know nobody would by them after all .. it's not like old Defenders routinely go for over $100,000.00 or anything.
Defenders go for over $100K in the US because Land Rover stopped selling them here in the US in 1997 because they couldn't re-design them to accept airbags and they only sold a few hundred per year anyway. The juice wasn't worth the squeeze for little Land Rover at the time. Today, there are literally only a handful of running examples on the US market at any given time.

Consumers do actually buy things because of government regulations whether they want to or not - because the government regulations are specifically designed to influence consumer choice by restricting the availability of new vehicles that don't comply with them. If they're not compliant, then you'll be waiting 25 years to import someone else's.
SafariDave likes this.

Yes, I do take it off-road.
----------------------------
2017 Discovery HSE Td6
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
The D5 will leave the D1/2 in the dust off road.
Dave

The City is a Jungle.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present Land Rovers
1999 LR Disco II SD7 White 150K miles 'The Beach Boy' (PR truck)
2005 LR3/ D3 SE 4.4 Bonatti 'Fancy Professor' (my girl's LA LR3)
2005 LR3/ D3 SE 4.4 Bonatti 'The Rhino'
(my NYC LR3)
De-tangoed Headlights, LR4 Style Grille, Dueler Alenza HL 255/55/19

Past Land Rovers
1999 LR Disco II SD Niagara Grey 'Old Rhino' 200K+ miles (Sold)
1991 Range Rover Classic Green 'The Turtle' 200K+ miles (Sold)
1988 Range Rover Classic White 'The Rust Bucket' (Sold)

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 01:08 PM
Drives like an old man

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
And on road. I'm not a fan of the look, either, but I recognize improvements offered by evolution. I'd gladly take the Ford 3.5 Ecoboost V6 over that clunky, wheezy 4.6 Buick.
SafariDave likes this.

2004 Disco II, bone stock, now weekends only
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 06:22 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

toss a supercharger on my LR3 and I would be 100% in love with it
discomania04 likes this.

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol

post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselRanger View Post
Defenders go for over $100K in the US because Land Rover stopped selling them here in the US in 1997 because they couldn't re-design them to accept airbags and they only sold a few hundred per year anyway. The juice wasn't worth the squeeze for little Land Rover at the time. Today, there are literally only a handful of running examples on the US market at any given time.
Yes. Land Rover didn't want to spend the money federalizing Defenders anymore as it wasn't worth the investment. Particularly when the market was migrating to a more upscale and comfort oriented mindset.

Today, the only stock(ish) Defenders that go for over $100k are the NAS110's. And honestly, I can't really understand why. They seem to keep trading hands among the rich who shop at ECR and Copley Motors, but they're still the same slow rust buckets as any ROW 110. NAS90's tend to trade from the mid $40's to $60's depending on condition and mileage.

Now that some more "modern" variants meet the 25yr criteria there are certainly more than just a handful over here. Particularly with shops making money resto-modding them.
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
toss a supercharger on my LR3 and I would be 100% in love with it
maybe its possible to put the 4.2 (07-09) Supercharge RRS engine on the LR3.
Dave

The City is a Jungle.

Present Land Rovers
1999 LR Disco II SD7 White 150K miles 'The Beach Boy' (PR truck)
2005 LR3/ D3 SE 4.4 Bonatti 'Fancy Professor' (my girl's LA LR3)
2005 LR3/ D3 SE 4.4 Bonatti 'The Rhino'
(my NYC LR3)
De-tangoed Headlights, LR4 Style Grille, Dueler Alenza HL 255/55/19

Past Land Rovers
1999 LR Disco II SD Niagara Grey 'Old Rhino' 200K+ miles (Sold)
1991 Range Rover Classic Green 'The Turtle' 200K+ miles (Sold)
1988 Range Rover Classic White 'The Rust Bucket' (Sold)
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979Rover View Post
Yes. Land Rover didn't want to spend the money federalizing Defenders anymore as it wasn't worth the investment. Particularly when the market was migrating to a more upscale and comfort oriented mindset.

Today, the only stock(ish) Defenders that go for over $100k are the NAS110's. And honestly, I can't really understand why. They seem to keep trading hands among the rich who shop at ECR and Copley Motors, but they're still the same slow rust buckets as any ROW 110. NAS90's tend to trade from the mid $40's to $60's depending on condition and mileage.

Now that some more "modern" variants meet the 25yr criteria there are certainly more than just a handful over here. Particularly with shops making money resto-modding them.
Meant to say there are only a handful of originals for sale at any given time, and the 25-year import / restomod market is still for the 1%ers.

2017 Discovery HSE Td6

Last edited by DieselRanger; 06-12-2018 at 10:58 AM. Reason: fiksed speling
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselRanger View Post
Meant to say there are only a handful of originals for sale at any given time, and the 25-year import / restomod market is still for the 1%ers.
Yep. Those restos are stupid expensive.

That said, I've seen imports of Series 3's and Santanas from the 70's and 80's that are in the low to mid 20's, which isn't too crazy. MOD trucks are also pretty attainable. Best bet is to be the second person to buy after the import once the original buyer finds out how slow and leaky Rovers are, lol.

Fortunately, the prices overall aren't doing what FJ's are doing.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 07:39 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariDave View Post
maybe its possible to put the 4.2 (07-09) Supercharge RRS engine on the LR3.
Dave
I keep thinking swap out the upper intake/supercharger, injectors and MAF, lets see how smart the ecu is

I disagree by the way that the 25 year old import scene is for the 1% as I certainly don't meet that category at all and have a import 110. It was a lot less than most would believe.

1972 MGB

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
I keep thinking swap out the upper intake/supercharger, injectors and MAF, lets see how smart the ecu is

I disagree by the way that the 25 year old import scene is for the 1% as I certainly don't meet that category at all and have a import 110. It was a lot less than most would believe.
Most of the 110's that slip through Customs are a lot less than most would believe .. just gander at the prices overseas online..
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 08:31 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

They don't slip through customs you bring them in legally. Bone stock truck that is currently 35 years old.

Do try to keep up on what the rules are for import and stop accusing folks of being criminals

1972 MGB

post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

the ones that "slip" through customs usually "slide" right into the crusher after a few weeks or months.

2017 Discovery HSE Td6
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Pretty positive the above ^^^^ is updated as in getting those rovers here is not that big of an issue anymore.

With regard to the Disco 5, after being in one and having the walkthrough with the rep for the promo I am very unimpressed.

Should have known out the gate when I was asked "if I had a LR and if it was older?" By the gent. His response to my answer was "there are 2 types of people, those are have older LR's that really hate it and those that have newer ones that can consider it"

I'm the first, I was not impressed. Now, with regard to safety and horsepower and capability...sure, I'll bite and I'm glad there's an improvement from the company with regard to the brandline.

Personally, I hate the styling. The outside rear does not make sense (not just the license plate area offset). The rear sears being automated and having the promo gent tell me to my face that the LR3-LR4 being able to be manually lowered was "illegal" was also interesting...#knowthebrandyousellplease . I didn't mind the auto seats, just saying.

My main NO-NO was the interior, especially from the drivers perspective. Even a D2 had Kangaroo leather and some Safari styling. Nothing in that D5 screamed or hinted at "Going on Safari"....to me

For that interior fail alone, personally I don't prefer em. Now should I win one at a giveaway, I would try it out more but for that price I could resell it, get a 5.0 LR4 (at least has the Safari feel still), and prob buy Bitcoin for the next wave of bull markets to make cash.

I respect em, just don't want it for the styling. The one I did look at had all black on the interior...if there's an option I'm not seeing I'm def open to discussing

1999 Disco II
2000 Disco II (RIP Baby)
1990 Range Rover Classic (stored)

post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Nothing says Safari or off road at all. Piddly 4-6 cylinder, interior no different than a Kia. Cookie cutter exterior. I wont believe these can surpass the D 1-3's until I see it. Forget about heavy loads or mods with these weak engines. It's an Indian car. The only good they did was make it more MPG friendly. And that is not the reason people buy Land Rovers, Jeeps or Hummers.

The packaging is fancy. And it's got a Land Rover label. The only thing nice I can think to say - It's better than a Freelander.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Land Rover Discovery 5 forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in