TD6 wants DEF Refill at 3,500 miles! - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
TD6 wants DEF Refill at 3,500 miles!

I just hit 3,500 miles with my Td6 and today the 1,500 mile warning came on. So at 5K it needs a refill already? The manual says expect an average of 10K? 5K is no where near 10K. Called service and my SA says that here in AZ his TD6 customers only get about 5K between re-fills, really?? I have owned both a BMW X5d and MBZ GL 350 and they always went at least 10-12K before refill of DEF...so I call BS! I am very dissatisfied with the fuel range of the TD6, it needs a larger tank so you can get 550-650 per tank and sounds like a larger DEF tank too! Anyone know how to reset the computer after refill of DEF, I hate paying the dealer $100 bucks to refill and reset.

2017 Discovery HSE Td6
Namib Orange, Packages: Drive, vision assist, capability plus, dynamic design, tow hitch, front console cooler, autonomous braking. 22" 5025 wheels, black contrast roof, adaptive LED headlights with auto HB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 05:56 AM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
If you have the service plan they refill it for free I believe.

From what I have read on other forums you can top it off yourself it just takes a few drive cycles for the light to reset. YMMV don't have a D5 to try it on so no idea if it is true.

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol
2007 Chawton White LR3 Proud Rhino lift rods
1983 Trident Green 110, TerraFirma suspension, and bumpers
1991 Range Rover Classic Hunter Eastnor Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

I added 2.5 Gallons today, upon start up the 1500 mile warning did not appear any more. However when I look in the Service menu it still shows service needed in approx 1500 miles.

I hope this goes away or resets after some on/off cycles as others have stated. What a joke JLR!

#should have gotten the gas version

2017 Discovery HSE Td6
Namib Orange, Packages: Drive, vision assist, capability plus, dynamic design, tow hitch, front console cooler, autonomous braking. 22" 5025 wheels, black contrast roof, adaptive LED headlights with auto HB.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Found the Reset, Thank you YouTube! It was for a 2017 LR RR Sport but it worked the same, totally easy! It reset my oil change interval as well but who cares cuz I probably do that myself too

Dealership wanted $100 + tax, did it myself for $11.99 for 2.5Gal of DEF (ISO022241 spec)

Set the ignition to the ON position.
Open the hood.
Open the drivers door.
NOTE: A service resetting message will appear on the instrument cluster.
Fully depress both the accelerator and brake pedals and hold for 20-30 seconds.
Set the ignition to the OFF position.
Set the ignition to the ON position and check the message has been cleared.
If the message remains, repeat the process.

2017 Discovery HSE Td6
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 04:22 PM
VW Dieselgate beneficiary

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
So from other forums, there appears to have been some changes made to the Td6 engine for 2017 that increases the amount of post-combustion diesel injection as an active regeneration measure to clean the DPF, as well as increased DEF consumption to meet emissions targets outside the test regime. This may be due to our friends at Volkswagen who decided to program their cars to turn off emissions controls if the car senses it's on the road and not in a lab test on a dyno.

Increased post injection increases the rate at which the engine oil absorbs diesel fuel, and the engine contains sensors that measure diesel fuel contamination. If you're getting early service indicators, either their calibration is messed up, or the increased amount of post injection is contaminating the engine oil faster. The limit is reportedly 6%. I have a little under 5,000 miles on mine, and my "service due in 1500mi" light just came on. I have already had my DEF refilled (for free), but that may have been because they didn't refill it all the way after the leak test when the "incorrect DEF Quality" error occurred.

Keep posting. If you ignore the warning, you could be doing some damage...I plan to call my service dept on Monday.

Update - service manager reset my service interval for free. No mention of active regeneration or diesel dilution...I casually mentioned these and he said "they have sensors for all that." I didn't press him, figured I'll wait to see what the service interval does over the next few weeks. Sources indicate a service campaign is coming in January to reduce active regeneration cycling, which may be overly aggressive.

Yes, I do take it off-road.
----------------------------
2017 Discovery HSE Td6

Last edited by DieselRanger; 12-01-2017 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Land Rover Discovery 5 forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in