Towing "Options" - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Towing "Options"

Dear all,

I am about to order one of the new Discovery HSEs and retire my 2005 LR3 (167k) and have a Q4U...
I have configured my build with the OPTIONAL Tow Hitch with Electrical Connector $650

...but have come across two alternatives listed under EXTERIOR OPTIONS that are cause-for-pause.
1) Stainless Steel Undershield - Rear, Detachable Tow Bar, Electrically Deployable Tow Bar (Part number: VPLRP0257) $745
2) Stainless Steel Undershield - Rear, Multi-Height Tow Bar (Part number: VPLRP0256) $745

Both appear to be intriguing alternatives and only cost $95 more...
Can anyone weigh in on the differences - Hitch/Bar/Deployable/Multi-Height - and/or the best way to go?
I do not pull other vehicles / I pull trailers and there can be a pretty heavy load on the ball. The heaviest thing I pull an enclosed car trailer with electrical brakes.

(the HSE is a pre-order and so new the sales rep at the dealer has no clue)

Thanks!

~ Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Sounds like a question the dealer should know or be able to find out for you. If they can't, I'd be questioning doing business with them.

The thought of pulling an enclosed car trailer with a mid-sized SUV with a 2 liter 4 cylinder is downright comical. Being able to make something move and being able to safely control it on an interstate with other drivers around you- especially on a breezy day... No thanks.

I have a diesel Excursion with load bars and auxiliary air bags and I don't pull my enclosed car trailer with it- I either take the shop dually or have my friend pull it with his 4500.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 08:59 AM
VW Dieselgate beneficiary

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I'll be pulling the trigger on an order for an HSE Td6 within the next two weeks - please do post what answers are provided. I saw those too and will be considering them.

However, I don't think they include the tow hitch - it's the undershield in addition to the tow hitch option, so F/R shields will be $1547 in addition to the $650 tow package. The difference is in which kind of tow package you get. Don't see an "electrically deployable tow bar" option in the configurator.

Anyway, should be a quick phone call to JLR from your sales rep.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Hi,

Three weeks ago, I've placed an order for the HSE in Nambic orange, full dynamic pack, .... Delivery is expected mid-January and although I will need a tow bar in the future, I've ordered without, as I HATE the size of the factory hitch and the HUGE bumper cut-out. European models are factory delivered with a detachable hitch that keeps the looks intact (e.g. catalog # VPLRT0171) => I've been in contact with "Stealth hitches" regarding after-market alternatives and here's their response:

"...The Discovery is on our list to develop. We do not yet have the relationship with the local dealer. Our plan is to develop it in January unless a local customer brings their vehicle into our shop in Sugar Hill (Atlanta) GA before then for a hitch. I would be happy to keep you posted on our progress.
If you post on forums and need the hitch earlier, please suggest that someone in our area to call us and we will offer a very good deal to allow us to use their vehicle for final measurements and fitment confirmation.
Thank you for the interest!...."
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselRanger View Post
I'll be pulling the trigger on an order for an HSE Td6 within the next two weeks - please do post what answers are provided. I saw those too and will be considering them.
DR, you may want to rethink the diesel option. The range is poor, and it's DEF hungry see my other post. I now wish I went with the gas version

2017 Discovery HSE Td6
Namib Orange, Packages: Drive, vision assist, capability plus, dynamic design, tow hitch, front console cooler, autonomous braking. 22" 5025 wheels, black contrast roof, adaptive LED headlights with auto HB.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelGSX-R View Post
Hi,

Three weeks ago, I've placed an order for the HSE in Nambic orange, full dynamic pack, .... "[/I]
Beware on the Dynamic Pack, I have it and with the 850W Meridian Sound System you get a lot of vibration and very poor sound quality, been to the dealership 4 times and now JLR North America is throwing in the towel on me...so glad I leased this thing. At least I won't be stuck with it! I may actually push JLR to let me order an '18 if they fix this issue, because at any volume it sucks!

2017 Discovery HSE Td6
Namib Orange, Packages: Drive, vision assist, capability plus, dynamic design, tow hitch, front console cooler, autonomous braking. 22" 5025 wheels, black contrast roof, adaptive LED headlights with auto HB.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 04:24 PM
VW Dieselgate beneficiary

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDisco5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselRanger View Post
DR, you may want to rethink the diesel option. The range is poor, and it's DEF hungry see my other post. I now wish I went with the gas version [IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/images/LandRoversOnly2/smilies/tango_face_sad.png[/IMG]
I don't care about DEF range. It's way easier to fill than my Touareg, and DEF is cheap.

Price to pay for compliance on-road vs in a lab.

Yes, I do take it off-road.
----------------------------
2017 Discovery HSE Td6
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I purchased my TD6 D5 at the end of June and have probably about 5K miles in it pulling my 7K lbs travel trailer. It has done very well. It has the factory receiver and I picked up a Hensley Cub after originally using an Anderson hitch for sway control and weight distribution.

Céad Mile Fáilte,

James Cina

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I came from a 2008 LR3.

Céad Mile Fáilte,

James Cina

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I'm still looking for an aftermarket trailer hitch and Steve from "stealth hitches" replied:

Still waiting on a local customer to bring one (a Land Rover Discovery 2017/18) in. If you are on the forums, please tell everyone that the first one in will get a free hitch.

Best regards.

Steve Nance
CEO

4580 Commerce Parkway
Sugar Hill, GA 30518
Phone: 678-714-3592
Cell: 770-815-6300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Land Rover Discovery 5 forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in