Superbly outfitted 1990 Range Rover Classic--ready for serious 4x4 action - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Superbly outfitted 1990 Range Rover Classic--ready for serious 4x4 action

Quite possibly the most professionally and well thought-out Range Rover in California. This is a 1990 Range Rover Classic, the County model. It does not have the airbag suspension (never did), and it has ABS brakes. It has been built up for as a magazine project, for Land Rover Owner International, hence the LROINTL license plate as seen in the pics, as well as the myriad of stickers. (Yes, they all remove easily.) As such, it was built up, then used on one trip to Moab, Utah (see pics) for the photo shoot. ALL THE INSTALLED ITEMS ARE LESS THAN SIX MONTHS OLD WITH _ONE_ TRIP WORTH OF USE. This Range Rover was built to take the worst trails in the world and muscle through. It needs two things: A/C fixed, and to put the sunroof back on its tracks. Yep, it has a sunroof! Here it what it has, all new:

New: radiator, fuel pump, water pump, belts (with full set of spares), ignition coil, plugs, ignition wires, distributor, ignition amplifier module, coolant expansion tank and sending unit cap, coolant hoses, Bosch relays, alternator. Uninstalled spares of: heater core (brand new but current core does NOT need replacing), and coil.

Plus,

--Pro Comp Series 87 steel wheels
--Pro Comp Mud Terrain LT265R75-16 tires plus a full size spare/wheel
--Great Basin Rovers heavy duty hardened 24-spline rear axles--the best
--Discovery 24-spline axles in front
--ARB Air Locker RD56 locking differentials front AND rear with heavy duty air line kit. Switches mounted on custom stainless steel dash
--Great Basin Rovers hardened ring and pinion 3.90 gearing
--Rovers North steering rod relocation kit and beefier steering rods/track rod/panhard rod
--Old Man Emu steering stabilizer
--Full Old Man Emu shocks and springs gives 2-inch lift. (2) OME 767 HD front springs, (2) OME 762 HD rear springs, (2) OME N115 HD front shocks, (2) OME N44 HD rear shocks
--Dual Optima Yellow Top batteries with Hellroaring isolator/combiner system
--Superwinch EP9.0 9000 pound winch
--Amsteel Blue synthetic winch rope, 100'
--OK Offroad winch hook
--OK Offroad alloy winch hawse replaced heavy and ugly roller fairlead
--Air Force One air intake
--IPF XS900 driving lights. Superb, bright, and waterproof
--Custom stainless steel dashboard and glove box. ARB switches have been mounted here plus venturi air outlets.
--MJ Lee differential guards front and rear
--Pioneer stereo
--(2) IPF 920HMSR headlight bulb replacements
--ARB Deluxe front bumper--burly!
--East Coast Rovers steel rear bumper
--West Coast Rovers rock sliders
--Hannibal (South Africa) roof rack
--Hannibal tent. Unreal how great it is! Check out how compact it is, then the cover comes off and it springs into place. It has a 4" thick foam mattress in there--you sleep in total comfort. No more sleeping on the ground, in the wet, with that annoying stone digging into your back as you try to sleep. These were designed in Africa to keep people up off the ground and away from things that go "Roar!" in the night!
--Hannibal awning and side walls. Creates your own little room to the side of rig, or just an awning for shade. Quite the "cool" invention.

Phew! There it is! There is simply nothing better. This coil-sprung Rangie will literally take you anywhere in style and confort. The combination of ARB locking diffs, Superwinch, Old Man Emu suspension, Pro Comp Mud Terrain tires, etc mean this Range River can go--and get out of--almost anywhere. On the road, the torquey 3.9L V8 engine purrs even with 180K miles. Why? All work and tuneups done professionally by West Coast Rovers and British Car Service in Los Angeles. The leather seats are a bit worn but still very good. Interior is clean if a bit worn. Remember, this was a magazine project vehicle. We saved it from those who thought it should be a stereo-laden low rider and put it back on the right path--and look at it now! Price is $11500 without the Hannibal tent or $13000 with it. Hannibal rack and awning stay with Rangie regardless. Clear title. Thank you!

Last edited by LRO-INTL; 01-07-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 11:23 AM
Banned

ummmm, 11k?
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Well worth done right the first time, and ready to wheel!

I suppose it's all relative, but $11K is a smoking deal for gear that was installed, photographed, and put away. Everything is BRAND NEW, installed correctly, and ready to wheel. You buy it, you wheel, and it holds up to the abuse.

For example, a friend just bought a bone-stock 1991 Rangie for $3700. Now assume he gets the same gear: the Hannibal rack is $1300. [$5000]Tent is $1300. [$6300] Awning with walls is $999. [$7300]. Don't forget truck shipping for each. Now front and rear ARB air lockers, Great Basin Rovers ring and pinion gearing front and rear, and GBR axles front and rear--all PRE-INSTALL costs--is easily up to $10K alone. Then add the rest of the gear, which you get literally used once. Brand new tires and wheels with spare. Superwinch EP9.0 with synthetic rope. ARB Deluxe bumper. Full Old Man Emu suspension. Factor in average install costs at $85/hour.

It's all good! This is not your typical Rangie. It's been built as a _package_, with driveline, tires, wheels, engine, suspension all beefed up. Off-road, it's unreal and damn near unstoppable! Well worth the time and effort required to recreate it!

Good wheeling,

DZ

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 05:09 PM
LRO Founder

As always, it is alwys cheaper to buy someone else project than do it yourself. This is a very failry priced rig, considering all the gear it has!

Serg

Current Vehicles:
1994 Defender 90, 35k original miles
2003 BMW 540iT M Sport
2004 Element Skateboard (Indy trucks, Bones Swiss, etc...)

Past LR's:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Banned

I'm not going to tell you why you will never get 11k+, but, good luck....
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Wheeler

Why? I'm just curious,,,a penny for your thoughts. Note: I have no dog in this fight.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 02:11 PM
LRO Founder

Yeah Hank...

Do tell.. inquiring minds want to know.. why do you think he will *NEVER* get $11k??

Serg

Current Vehicles:
1994 Defender 90, 35k original miles
2003 BMW 540iT M Sport
2004 Element Skateboard (Indy trucks, Bones Swiss, etc...)

Past LR's:

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

It's all good, man...but the Rangie is better! :-)

Hank, you lost some cred when you said you wouldn't tell me why it isn't worth $11K, but anyway...

If you can recreate this Rangie for $11K, please do so and I shall applaud you! Heck, do your homework and find out the gross cost of all the items mentioned, plus shipping, plus install (and I don't mean from a hack shop, but a top-notch place). The equipment is NEW. Do you even know how to properly install ring and pinion gearing in TWO RD56 Air Lockers? That's not something you want to screw up--and it's no job for beginners.

It's not worth $11K? The notion is absurd, sir.

Whatevah. I'm not going to give it away. The Rangie alone is worth $3000. I've had one firm offer on it for $11K when I posted on Craigslist, but the owner lives deep in Baja, Mexico and I actually recommended that they not get it due to lack of Land Rover trained mechanics down there. I could do it, but them--a couple in their 60's with no mechanical aptitude--no.

People who know, know. You get what you pay for--I did Metal Masher, Golden Spike and Pritchett at Moab in this rig because the setup is world-class. To each his own--if you want to build one like this, go for it. I'll even tell you where to get the best deals...I estimate you'll be out $20K when you're done.

One last thing--it's good enough to be used as a three-part magazine feature by the largest and most widely read Land Rover magazine. Want proof? Ask the editors and read the stories! They don't showcase chop jobs or junk.

Good wheeling!

DZ
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 05:14 AM
Banned

If you picked out piece by piece ANY vehicle, and added up what you would pay for EACH part, the total vehicle cost would be absurd. Thats basically what you have done here with your mods. You have itemized everything on the truck.

The truck is 15 years old, and it has 180k on the clock. If the truck was bone stock, super clean, and no rust what so ever, you would be lucky to get 3k out of a 1990 RRC. They are selling steady at 2k or less. Want proof?

But, lets say your 180,000 mile truck is a Gem...Super clean, no rust, runs like an Aston... You have cheap-po tires, a very un-common gear set, the most Getto air intake ever made, a hack job dash, and cheesy sliders that do not even match the body of the "show worthy Gem"...

You have lockers, axles, winch bumper, and a winch. That's the only true selling points your truck offers. For an extra 1500.00 you will throw in the Tent....

And, do I know how to install a ring and pinion??? Are you freaking kidding me? I'm afraid to hear what you paid to have this "amazingly difficult, and expensive" job done.....

By featuring it on LRO does not add value to the truck either....Sorry. Can't say I ever read much over 5 LRO's anyway...Very painful to read... Maybe LRM is hiring???

It is a nice looking RRC, I'll give you that. But, it's not going to get you 11k, unless someone outside of the Land Rover Community buys it.

Just to compare apples to apples, take a look over this truck

Or, look in this months LRM at it....

That truck has ARB's F/R, quick air 2 pump, RTE bumper, RTE rear links, RTE Springs, diff guards, SS break lines, Engel Fridge, warn 9.5 winch, rim, SS tires, HD everything......Do you think that truck would sell for 11k? And it only has 130k miles on it.....

Or my junk...97 Disco, 4.6, locked F/R, HD axles, 33" SS Tires, 3" lift, HD Bumpers, winch, heim jointed rear links, RTE front links, sliders, engel fridge, GPS, etc.....Do you think I could get 11k for that? You find me someone who will buy my truck that's 7 year younger, less miles all around, and more capable than yours for 11k, and I'll give you 1k for your trouble. And, it's been in a magazine too......several times, that must be worth 5k
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

keep it up--you're hilarious!

An amusing thread this has become!

Hank, before I was ok with your opinions but I'm afraid you've now totally lost all credibility and my respect. if you call Great Basin Rovers gears a "very uncommon gear set", as if that's somehow a bad thing, you obviously know NOTHING about Land Rovers or GBR, my friend. Do any Google search, scan any board such as EE's, or just go to the GBR site, and you'd know. You don't know, so don't embarrass yourself by pretending. Learn the gear. Learn about Great Basin Rovers. Learn from Bill, who owns GBR and is absolutely considered one of the top axles/gears guys in the Land Rover realm. Sheesh. By the way, those GBR gears did more than just massively strengthen the innards (which I did because everything else in the driveline was beefed up, too--it's a PACKAGE, remember?) they also lower the gearing about 10% for better slow speed, off-road ability. Unlike you, apparently, I THINK about what I'm doing.

A hack-job dash? HAHAHAHAAH. Ryyyyyyyyt. I suppose you prefer the horrible, cracked, weak, OEM dash? Stop smoking crack, Hank. BTW, those venturi vents are so much better than stock, but, you woudn't know that, would you? Another thing, the stock cubby box which ALWAYS breaks is also now of steel. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

I love it when people like you look at an image on a web site and pass judgement. You have NO IDEA how the sliders were made, and of what material, how thick, or how they mount, nothing, but they're "cheesy". Oh, and they "don't match." Um, ok. Dude, you look like an idiot when you say that. And don't pretend you know the sliders. West Coast Rovers made these custom for us, so no, you haven't seen them on your step uncle in-law's truck. I'll post pics on the referenced site of those sliders in use, just for you. Again, I urge you not to be the fool in public.

Dual Yellow Top Optimas? Junk. Ditto the Hellroaring isolator/combiner. (Tell Mike, the owner in Montana, that, friend.)
East Coast Rovers rear bumper? Must be junk. Everyone knows ECR is a hack shop! Not.
IPF lights? Pure garbage.
Amsteel Blue rope? Utter crap.
Custom-made aluminum hawse? Shite. BTW, made custom for this feature by OK Offroad, so you haven't seen it either.
Rovers North steering relocate kit with beefier rods? Who needs an intelligent mod like that? Basura.
MJ Lee diff guards? Made of old beer cans.
Hannibal tent/rack/awning? As anyone knows, it's better to mount a Coleman from Big 5 on your roof. Maybe some people don't NEED a tent (a rack, however, is another thing) but there is NO doubt of the supreme quality of Hannibal. At $1500 for one, I doubt you have ever even seen one and certainly never slept in one. Ditto for the Tanos boxes, I bet.
Pro Comp Mud Terrain tires and Series 87 wheels? Awesome in the clay mud of Moab--have you ever even wheeled in Moab, Hank?--look at the shots of it on Big Ugly. But you've never ridden in a truck with them, so they're "cheap". HA! Another intelligent remark.
And you're right, there is no rust on it, either.

Oh and one last thing. I never, ever said it was a "show-worthy gem". Never. That was you. But I did say it's a supremely capable 4x4 trail truck. Which anyone with half a brain can see at a glance. I also never said "amazingly difficult, and expensive" that you put in quotes as if I said it. Quit trying to reference words that I never said.

Oh, and feel free to post the mags your rig has been featured in as a stand-alone series of articles...just for the halibut. You can see part of one of mine on the OKoffroad.com site, look on the right side under LROI Project. I've always wondered about people like you who see a cool truck and bash it. What's terrible is, you obviously don't know the gear well enough to give a learned response. But at the end of your post, I think I see the reason. You bought a 97 Disco. Maybe it's Rangie envy? Hmmmm...

Enough of this nonsense, I'm here to wheel! Good wheeling and good day, sir!

DZ

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Banned

This is funny.....

Do I know what GBR is??? Your stupid! I never bashed the GBR re-badged gear, it was the 3.90 gears them selfs...When you break a 3.90 gear, who is going to have a spare? Bill hardly keeps bolts in stock, much less extra gear set. So, your junk is broke until Bill gets off his butt to re-order. Bill is a great guy, but he runs his business like a 12 year old. You know that if you have ever dealt with him. He NEVER has what you need when you need it.

Yes, that dash looks like total crap. Look at the gaps! It's a hack job, and look like you were trying to make a NASCAR dash in your Ranigie....

Those slider look like crap. I don't care if they are made of 2" solid material, or how sturdy they are. They look like shit.

Read about the....Wiring dual Optima in any way other than parell is a bad idea, and is not recommended. But, I'm sure you knew this.....

Yes, that is a nice looking rear bumper....

IPF. Yes, your right, JUNK. Compare that light to a Hella, you will then see.

Custom Hawse fair lead? What makes it better than any other 50.00 fair lead?

Rover North HD steering rods.....HAHAHA, JUNK! They are steel...When steel bends, it's over. And yes, I have seen that same rod totaled, just last weekend as a matter of fact. It was on Charles Galpin's D-90....E-mail him to find out more...Go RTE next time! RTE may not be bullet proof, but it's better than cold rolled steel.

MJ Diff guards.....Ummmm, rock catchers! There are better designs available.

The tent is nice, I'll give you that.

Pro Comp tires....SUCK BALLS!!! Thin sidewalls, ill performance in mud, suck ass on rocks....Need I say more? I guess because they are so good, that's why most rock crawling team use them, huh???

Series 87 rims.....Yea, those lug centric rims are far more superior to a hub centric rim, huh???? Do you still have the wobble in the steering wheel?

Rangie envy? Are you kidding? D-90 envy maybe......

Pics of my truck? Take a look in this months LRM for a few more shots, or the Dec. edition. And, I think it's July of FourWheeler.

Good day, and good luck!
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Forward!

Hey, don't sweat it! He is just trying to get you to drop the price so he can buy it. I wish I had the money, sounds like a great rig. I had an 89 RRC with over 200K on the clock, it was bone stock the front axle needed a complete rebuild and it had a bad head gasket among a TON of other problems and I got 2K for it. Why couldn't he get 11k for it, sounds like a great deal to me.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

HAHAHAHAHAA. Thanks, Hank! You've ably demonstrated my observation that you love to make yourself look stupid.

All you've done is show that you're a brand-loyal guy who only goes by his personal faves. I won't start a "IPF rules, Hella sucks" kind of thing. That's for 12-year olds.

Your game-winner though is this:

"Those slider look like crap. I don't care if they are made of 2" solid material, or how sturdy they are. They look like shit."

ROTFLMAO!!! Your own words! Now we KNOW for a FACT that you're utterly un-credible and inane. You, apparently, prefer looks over utility?? In the off-road world, that's literally insane. You'd take a pretty item over a well-built one? You're done, Hank. You're crazy, and frankly, dangerous on the trail. To wheel with you, your attitude puts others at risk that they'll have to save you from yourself. In Moab or anywhere in the wild, humans are part of the food chain. A broken truck can equal death. But you, all you care about is that your parts look pretty?

'Nuff said, bro. And hey, let's watch the profanity, ok? Chill out.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

On a different note, I have to give props to OK Offroad on the custom hawse. You see, the one they first sent us didn't fit right. Metal from the ARB bumper was protruding over the hawse opening, rubbing on the rope. I told them about it, and in 48 hours they had fabricated from scratch the unique-shaped item you see in the pics and sent it out. It fit perfectly and the Amsteel Blue rope didn't rub anymore. Now that's customer service! OK Offroad rocks!

Thanks, Badger!
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRO-INTL
ROTFLMAO!!! Your own words! Now we KNOW for a FACT that you're utterly un-credible and inane. You, apparently, prefer looks over utility?? In the off-road world, that's literally insane. You'd take a pretty item over a well-built one? You're done, Hank. You're crazy, and frankly, dangerous on the trail. To wheel with you, your attitude puts others at risk that they'll have to save you from yourself. In Moab or anywhere in the wild, humans are part of the food chain. A broken truck can equal death. But you, all you care about is that your parts look pretty?
You don't know how WRONG you are. Seems to be a thing with you, I guess.

Protection, and ruggedness is above all more important to me in everything I buy, build or refer. Your sliders look like crap. It just shows the workmanship involved in the making. The is no reason, what so ever, at all, that you could not have a super strong slider, and retain the clean looks of the RRC. Instead, your fab shop cut corners. Look at the above sliders on the other RRC. It's a nice clean fit. And the sliders are super strong. The "Channels" that support the sill are CNC cut, and bent to give that slider clean lines, makes them super strong, and less work for the fabricator. In the end, they look better, will last longer, and will out preform your hack job 2x2 steel beams.

And, I put other at risk on the trail??? Thats the more retarded comment I've ever heard....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only Classifieds > Land Rover Vehicles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in