Beat them diffs!Beat them gooooooood.... - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Doesnt like the limb on paint sound....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beat them diffs!Beat them gooooooood....

So i hit my front diff pretty hard a few weeks ago on the disco 2.It was on the bottom side but it still hurt my ass thinking of the damage i couldve done and the bill i wouldve been raped with for a new diff housing.
I know with a solid hit on the front of the diff itself can cause the case to jam up into the guts of the diff.I have my rovertym diff guards going on tomorrow and a lift and some 265s on it now.So it wont be so bad next time.
Has anyone had this happen?
I am just curious what kind of impact is needed to do this kind of damage.
Land rover doesnt usually miss out in the beefy shit department so i wondered how something like this couldve been overlooked.Low landys will scrub diffs,its just inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 Disco II
"yes,there is a place to 4 wheel in Atlanta"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 07:09 PM

It doesn't take much of a hit at all to punch a hole a in one, seen it happen. My original front axle housing had the pan pushed back into contact with the ring gear before the PO mounted a diff guard.

"The Goat",1973 Series III coil conversion, Daihatsu 2.8 Td, power steering, dual ARBs Etc.
'91 RRC, bone stock
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Mine has a crack on the front cover to housing weld from a impact and a nice dent in the cover. That will teach me to be lazy about installing the diff guard. It really doesn't take that much to mess one up.

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol
2007 Chawton White LR3 Proud Rhino lift rods
1983 Trident Green 110, TerraFirma suspension, and bumpers
1991 Range Rover Classic Hunter Eastnor Green

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

I dont remember the camel trophy trucks having diff guards on them.Did they?I know those guys are trained well but im pretty good at seeing a line on a trail section and i still hit mine.It just seems to common an occurrence to not have adequate factory protection.Not really a reason to start a thread,but i was just curious.

2003 Disco II
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
I''m pretty sure the CT trucks had them. As for having diff guards from the factory it's also common to hit your sills but they don't give you rock sliders from the factory either. There is a certain point where they have to draw the line on add on stuff.

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol
2007 Chawton White LR3 Proud Rhino lift rods
1983 Trident Green 110, TerraFirma suspension, and bumpers
1991 Range Rover Classic Hunter Eastnor Green

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

I guess your right.factory offered body armor would probably cost a fortune.With the aftermarket support we have for our landys the armor choices are pretty good.Land Rover is based on community and we are an extreme type of enthusiasts.We will always have a good aftermarket to pick up where the Factory left off.

2003 Disco II
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicBluey View Post
I dont remember the camel trophy trucks having diff guards on them.Did they?I know those guys are trained well but im pretty good at seeing a line on a trail section and i still hit mine.It just seems to common an occurrence to not have adequate factory protection.Not really a reason to start a thread,but i was just curious.
You have to bash them a fair way in before they will contact anything in side. Mine took many hits, two pretty serious. I ended up fitting a guard only because I did not think it could take another hit and live. Even though I had a spare housing, I was too slack to change it over and fitting the guard was easier.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 04:43 PM

Dammit, hank, now Ian's going to tell everyone what a dumb ass you are.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Ouch.That is some nasty stuff.My guards are the shit.Im on my way to do a little wheeling tomorrow.Hope i hit my diffs a bit.
I am trying to get a little trip together to coal creek with a few folks who wont back out the day before we leave.That will be a good test.But gotta stay clear of the 4s and 5s.

2003 Disco II
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 01:19 PM

I had one of my friends driving the DII as I was guiding him over a rise back in the day. He dropped the center of the diff down on a hard rock outcropping, and Bang! That was it. Both carriers snapped and the diff shredded itself to pieces. I lost count of how many little bits of metal I pulled out of that axle tube. Weird part was I had no external damage like Dan had on his. Just a bit of scratched off paint. But the impact had a hard enough shock through it that it snapped parts. Diff guards, and underbody protection in general is a wise investment.

"In certain places, at certain hours, gazing at the sea is dangerous. It is what looking at a woman sometimes is." - Victor Hugo

Originally Posted by Elemental
Some guys play hard to get, I play hard to want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > Off Road

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in