Been busy with my other toy.... - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Been busy with my other toy....

Well my other toy has finally come home, so the real fun can begin.

A full restoration is in it's future, and there will be plenty of British engineering involved.

It's a 1972 MGB roadster, 66k on the clock, one owner(my Dad bought it new in 1972) so one family still I guess lol. Flame red, has the optional hard top and is going to need some love.

As she sits in the picture, I had already done new plugs, wires air filter Weber two barrel carb conversion and a new top.

I'm so excited to have another money pit around

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol
2007 Chawton White LR3 Proud Rhino lift rods
1983 Trident Green 110, TerraFirma suspension, and bumpers
1991 Range Rover Classic Hunter Eastnor Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Outstanding.

01 d2

Bill H.

The Rave on pdf's.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

I was beginning to think this place really had died lol

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 07:56 AM
disco biscuit

I thought I read somewhere that overseas they mod the 4.0/4.6 and throw it in them little things. Do you intend to preserve the originality? Thats a good looking car. One family ownership on something like that makes it really special.

Hadnt seen you on here in awhile.
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

I've been around just not posting much, between the Saab Wagon in the background, the MGB and work I've been busy. I've also been kicking around selling the RRC lately since I only get to wheel about once every 3 months anymore.

She looks a lot better in the picture than it does in real life. The paint was done 26 years ago in the driveway of our house. The paint is in a bad way.

The plan as I see it.

The body work will stay the original color with the stripping etc. it will receive a full pro repaint though this time. I plan to add a led high mount stoplight up by top boot. I plan to change the factory rostyles for mini-lite rims, eventually. Thats about it for the body changes.

The interior will get new carpeting and a MG factory wood steering wheel. The seats are shot and extremely expensive to rebuild. So I have located some very nice Mercedes Benz c280 black MB-tex seats with seat heaters to swap in. I will also be upgrading the sound system, with a android tablet as the headunit/gps. This will be built in to the factory console. I have bought another one to use so I can keep the original one un-molested.

The drivetrain, will eventually get replaced. The orginal engine requires premium, and only makes about 66 bhp, such a shame in such a fun to drive car. This will be the last project after I get the rest done. It will either get a Saab 2.0 turbo with front mounted intercooler, 2.5 inch exhaust and stage 3 tune, good for about 250ish horsepower. Ford T5 manual gearbox backing it up. The second option is a 3.4 SOHC V6 out of a Camaro and a T5 manual gearbox, only good for 180ish horsepower, and has the usual GM problem of blowing intake manifold gaskets. Both choices will improve fuel economy and give it a much needed boost in horsepower. I will of course be storing the original drivetrain so I can put it back in if I need to, but I don't see this car being sold ever. This will be nice when I retire in 5 years and move back to New England, touring the white mountain range with the top down and power on tap will be a nice way to waste some of my pension check. I never thought I would be talking about being retired in 5 years at the age of 35. My goal is to have it all done by then lol.

gratuitous Saab wagon pictures lol

Saab out auto cross racing

1972 MGB

post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

So was bleeding the brakes today to see if I could find where the system is leaking. I think the fluid was done.....

Oh and I picked up this for a $100

It came with a couple huge bins of new parts, and a few used parts I can pull off of it. Then it will be a part out and off to the scrap yard, it's to far gone to be of use to anyone.

1972 MGB

post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 08:53 AM
disco biscuit

Yeah the pics look good anyways. A repaint with some prep/leg work on your end would make it cheaper on you. Maybe you can hand it down to your kids. The chevy v6 option sounds good and smart to preserve the o.e. motor.

I dont know anything about a saab whats in that wagon there, v8? Does it handle the cones and that type of performance well. Seems like a good car from what I hear.

Sux ur tryina unload ur rover. I was thinkin you were looking for a series. Dont tell us ur dropping land rover for good. Hell what you gonna do when you retire?
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

The general hope is to pass it along to my daughter, it seems that it would be a shame for the MG to leave the family.

The Saab has a 2.3 liter turbo 4 cylinder. It had 170 hp from the factory, now with a free flowing 2.5 inch exhaust with magnaflow muffler, front mount intercooler, cold air intake and a tune she is pushing about 250ish hp. The downside is it's a automatic, but had to have that so the wife could drive it to. It does surprisingly well at autocross for a automatic, heavy wagon. Plus it's funny as hell to see the looks on peoples faces when I line up for a run in it.

Not sure on the RRC, I need to use it more to justify keeping it. I'd love a series, but right now I can't take another Brit lol.

1972 MGB

post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Well this Brit in keeping with the finest traditions of British Engineering burned up it's fuel pump. It started arcing and smoking when I turned the key on.... Sigh there is another few days wait and $130 gone lol...

1972 MGB

post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 11:09 AM

Cool. IMO the site is dead. and as for the Saab (opsec going out the window), I did the same, but with a crown vic. I part time while you full time. and my 1 way is 3 1/2 - 4 hrs. I've been wanting to autocross that thing also. heck, even starting to drop $ in it. even though I said I wouldn't do a damn thing to it.

01 d2

Bill H.

The Rave on pdf's.
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 05:01 PM
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.

NIce rides army!!!

98' Disco 4.0
89' RRC 3.9
82' 109 2.5
post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Well with the up coming move to Colorado, I'm keeping the RRC unless someone has a series they want to trade me for it

Well I got the brakes rebuilt on the front and rear drivers side and refinished a couple of the wheels. While I was waiting on the fuel pump to show up.

On the fuel pump I learned something don't order parts you need off of Amazon.com They lied to me repeatedly about delivery dates, 22 Aug, 24 Aug, 25 Aug, 27 Aug and now 24 September. I finally had to cancel the order and I'm going to reorder it from a reputable vendor. If they could have been honest about delivery dates I wouldn't have had such a problem with it, but lying to a customer, by a business of that size is just not excusable for me..

Here are some pics of the progress. Some things have taken more time since I refurbishing things as I go. I need to redo the black rim eventually I tried out the color scheme out and it didn't look good on the car at all luckily that was the spare lol.

The rusty rotor was the original one that had been on the car for 40 years.

Sprucing up the disc brake shield.

Another part to order, the kingpin bushings are shot..

Freshing up the hub assembly.

Getting 40 years of grease and grime off.

Going back together.

Brake assembly.

When I go back in to replace the brake hose and kingpin busings I'm going to paint the calipers, but here it is for now.

Trying out a new color scheme on the rim, I chalked this up to lesson learned and a fail.

Working on something I haven't seen in years, drum brakes.

All done with the drum brakes and back together.

1972 MGB

post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Got the fuel pump ordered again and it is in route. In the mean time I have been working on finishing up the brakes all the way around.

Once I get it fired and see where I'm at with the motor, it will be time to trace out and repair the clutch fluid leak.

It all takes time, and 40 year old cars seem to want more of it then most lol.

1972 MGB

post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Well, got the pump got it in. Got fuel pressure to the new carb, and still no start. So I check spark and it's good. Check the timing it's good.

Do a compression test and awww shit kicks in. Looks like the valve seats designed for leaded fuel have died. It's supposed to be 160 psi I registered 117, 120, 119 and 89.. Shit! So I did the oil in the cylinders but that didn't help a bit. So I'm sure the valves are the culprit.

So the engine swap has moved up on the to do list before everything else. So if anyone in the chicago area has a v6 manual camaro or firebird that is a good runner and cheap let me know..

Of course I would rather do something like this but with a better tranny.. That engine would be a monster in the MG I know it was in my Dad's Taurus.

http://www.britishv8.org/mg/leroybarton.htm

1972 MGB

post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Borrowed a engine hoist today, so this weekend out comes the motor and trans.

I'm trying to get in contact with the guy that did the SHO conversion. The GM conversion is tried and true, but that SHO motor would be so sweet in a MG.

1972 MGB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > General Land Rover Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in