Been busy with my other toy.... - Page 2 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 12:10 PM
disco biscuit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That motor is a beast. I had a buddy tried to get parts and/or a replacement for his taurus but was having problems locating one. Might verify the parts availability. Thats one of the better motors ever made they say so might be worth the effort. Might just pull a front tire in that little thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Actually, I've been wasting the day doing just that. I found pretty much everything a man could want including upgraded cams, ecu tunes etc.

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol
2007 Chawton White LR3 Proud Rhino lift rods
1983 Trident Green 110, TerraFirma suspension, and bumpers
1991 Range Rover Classic Hunter Eastnor Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

It dawned on me that I'm retarded, I know big surprise huh....

This has manual valve adjustment. I found half the valves were way to tight and one was so loose you could slide the rocker off the valve and pushrod. Adjusted everything back to spec at 15 thousandths and went to bump it over to do a quick recheck of my work. On my way to the key I noticed I had disconnected the coil and not thinking plugged it back in. When I hit the key she fired right up....

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!! and running quite smartly I might add.

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 04:11 PM
disco biscuit

So you aint gonna swap in the yamahammer?

I thought i was gonna adjust valve lash on my dII while changing v.c. gaskets...thats a no go. Slapped em back on till the cam craters, hell with it. I can tell the cams gettin a lil sloppy as of late so I may tackle it before the Tennessee trip
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Oh I'm still going to swap in the SHO engine, doing the research it's a very doable swap. There is no way, I could go with a old POS pushrod 3.4 gm engine knowing I could have had 7500 rpm of Yamaha/Cosworth/Ford goodness under the hood.

I can just go with the original plan again, which is driveable, interior done, exterior done and finally engine swap.

1972 MGB

post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Well the brakes are 100% now. I was hoping I could salvage the clutch hydraulics and I thought I had. But no it blew seals out and started leaking all over the place. That's the last step left for it to be driving though. Well and a new U joint as the rear one looks like it got mauled by a bear. Sad part is that one has been replaced twice in the cars life and the front one is original...

Parts buying will be slowing down though, as I bought the MGB a new big brother.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).JPG
Views:	149
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	32442   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4).JPG
Views:	134
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	32443  

1972 MGB

post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Been awhile since a update so...

Made a junk yard run for some seats for the 110 and found a wrecked Miata in the yard with a pair of very nice condition black cloth seats. Picked those up for $70 and have made the adapter for the driver's side seat need to make two more for the passenger side seat next. Of course this project made me by a new tool a 8" drill press The seats look like they were made for the MG and are very comfortable compared to the original crap. Took a bit of fidling to get it all lined up right but well worth the effort.

With the parts MGB-GT I got my hands on a oak steering wheel for the MG and it's now all re-finished and looks fantastic. I can't wait to install it.

Also got a good driveshaft off of the GT, to replace the one in the MGB the yolk was damaged in the rear of the shaft. Probably why it kept eating u-joints. So I rebuilt that so it's ready to go in.

Today, I installed the new clutch master cylinder so now the clutch is functional. Once I get the new drive shaft installed she should be drive-able again!

1972 MGB

post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

So finally got the driveshaft installed today. Did a few little jobs here and there and finally after 8 years I drove the MGB today. I forgot how much fun that little go cart is lol. I had the top down, and my wife thought I was crazy. It was 45 degrees and sunny I didn't see the problem.

It was funny seeing it next to the 110 in the driveway...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20130420_164429.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	36986  

1972 MGB

post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Just A Kid Posing As A Middle Aged Man...

45 degrees....that's balmy. When I bought my 1980 Fiat Spider in Seattle I had to drive it over the mountains to Eastern Washington....in Winter. It was sunny and in the 40's with snow all around as I cruised top down...awesome.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy of sep29_19.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	37138  

Mike
2004 Discovery II "The Grey Goose"--Sold...with regret
3" OME and Toddco Spacer lift, 32" Nittos, TW Shaft, Terrafirma stabilizer, custom winch bumper and sliders, rear camera, CB, 30 GB Zune and Infinity sub.

post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Looks like the Fiat pee'd on your driveway

1972 MGB

post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Just A Kid Posing As A Middle Aged Man...

back there is the ONLY place the Fiat didn't leak....

Mike
2004 Discovery II "The Grey Goose"--Sold...with regret
3" OME and Toddco Spacer lift, 32" Nittos, TW Shaft, Terrafirma stabilizer, custom winch bumper and sliders, rear camera, CB, 30 GB Zune and Infinity sub.

post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

So far I have put about 700 miles on the MGB. She is running good but is having some temp issues idling in traffic. Checked all the usual suspects but everything seems good with the cooling system. She has never liked traffic, but the way she is now just doesn't work for my commute to work. So I'm off today to poke around the junkyard for a small electric cooling fan. I feel it just needs moving air through the radiator to be fine.

After that it's time to work on the front suspension and steering components. The tie rod ends look pretty shot and the bushings are completely gone. So that will be the next weekend project.

In the last few days I have topped off the shock oil, fixed the horn and installed a audio system. I also started a custom front bumper due to some towing damage my dad did to it about 8 years back. Hopefully I'll have that sorted out today and will post some pics even though, only 4 of us are reading this thread lol.

1972 MGB

post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

So, today I installed a electric pusher fan to help out with stop and go traffic. That was actually a pretty easy and straight forward task.

I also got the "custom" (read booty fab) front bumper done out of two old scrap bumpers. The front frame horns were damaged during a tow bar incident with my dad a long time ago. Making it impossible to install the stock bumper. It is nice to be legal though so I came up with this.

As you can tell the bumper bracket angles are a bit off....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20130511_165354.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	37617   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130511_165405.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	37625  

1972 MGB

post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 09:48 PM
disco biscuit

Are you talk in about the left side of the bumper, lined up against the grill? I say it looks good enough to swap in the yamahammer.
post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

lol yeah the bumper mounts are tweaked and the valance panel is bent in a few different directions and it needs to be replaced.

Drove it about 50 miles today, and did an oil change on it.

I've got a bit of work to do before I do the engine swap. I have to find a better solution than the other guy that did yamaha motor came up with. I want my stick in the same position or nearly where it is now not coming out of the dash and 8 feet long.

I could always keep it British to, I have a spare 3.5 RV8 laying around....

LeRoy Barton's Ford/Yamaha SHO DOHC 24V V6 powered MGB

1972 MGB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > General Land Rover Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in