Been busy with my other toy.... - Page 3 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 06:50 PM
disco biscuit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah man. After looking at the link and think in about it a min. I wouldn't do a front wheel to rear wheel conversion plus engine swap if that's what's required. I was unsure of front or rear wheel drive when I spoke highly of the SHO. I guess I just wasnt thinkin of it. I don't think that would be a ideal swap.

For some reason those cars remind me of a Datsun 240-60. A buddy of mine has done an ls1 swap on one of those with built up axles and such, but those were IRS...not sure about yours. The ls1 240 got beefed up axles and custom stuff built. He's working on one now for a 6.0 Chevy gas conversion. He got the IRS out of a lexus luxury v8 sedan for this monster.

The one that's finished is a 350 aluminum block. With the IRS that little car won't hardly break the tires loose. Seems real similar to your potential there. That cars a hell of a ride. I don't know if I'd wish it on ya but the rover v8 might be a good mix of parts with your series. After reading some of the performance web sites across the pond, it seems like a smooth powered clean v8 and light like the LS1. I think that's what I would dream up any how....prolly along ways down the road. IMA try and post pics of my buddies 240 projects. Just intresting stuff anyhow.

You don't hardly notice the bumper. You,d be surprised what you can do with a chain come along and a jack. I think it'll pull easy. Maybe a porta-power
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
My dad keeps saying the same thing about a come along lol. For now I'm happy with it and have enough other stuff to work on. Plus I need to swap the 3.9 into the 110 so I can get it back on the road.

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol
2007 Chawton White LR3 Proud Rhino lift rods
1983 Trident Green 110, TerraFirma suspension, and bumpers
1991 Range Rover Classic Hunter Eastnor Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Well I've been getting a slight vibration and it's getting worse. I put it up on a jack and have play when the wheel is grabbed top and bottom. So I have some searching to do to figure out exactly what is dead.

It never ends with these Brit's but I'll be damned if I don't love driving it.

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Well I talked SWMBO into the garage to give a bit of assistance. She pushed and pulled on the wheel while I laid under the MG watching the suspension bits and it looks like it is the wheel bearings that I thought were fine last fall when I did the brakes. Well that came back to bite me in the ass lol

1972 MGB

post #35 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

I got it tore apart tonight and the bearing is definitely worn out. So put the new bearings/races and oil seal in tonight. Hopefully that will get me squared up.

1972 MGB

post #36 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Finished up the bearing replacement and tie rod end as well. Found the shock was still low on fluid so I topped it off again and now it is riding pretty smoothly. I decided I should do the driver side as well so I had to order another wheel seal since they only stock the bearings it seems at the local parts store. So I'll get that done tomorrow along with the other tie rod and then take it for an alignment.

It was great though today, my 7 year old daughter and I spent about 45 minutes just cruising the country side with the top down talking. It reminded me so much of when I was kid driving with my dad in the MGB.

1972 MGB

post #37 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Haven't been doing much with the MGB as far as work goes until today. Just been driving it and enjoying it.

Noticed a few days ago that that the clutch slave cylinder was leaking, had to do a roadside fill and bleed it a bit to make it home.

So this morning I went to pull it in the garage and see about fixing her up. She was running like crap missing hard idle was all over the place etc. Chalked it up to being cold and went on to replacing the slave cylinder. Got that done and thought with the SWMBO's help I had it bleed. Fired up the old girl and she was running even worse, and the clutch was not functional at all. So decided to take a break on the clutch for a minute and look into the problem with the engine. Found a vacuum cap had fell off leaving a huge vac leak on the intake manifold. Got that squared up and she is running like a top again. Tomorrow back to the clutch....

1972 MGB

post #38 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Well it took forever today but I now have a clutch again!

After that I tackled the windshield wipers getting them working. Cleaned out the rest of the wiring from my Dad's old stereo/amp install. Made a radio blanking plate out of some plastic from the old center console, and a little chrome edge trim to finish the look. After that I got my old cell phone mounted up as the head unit for the stereo. Even without service it can still do navigation, play music, and pandora using the wifi off my current phone.

1972 MGB

post #39 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Like's ROVER ride's ,agitating,pimping poodle's ,tv

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Army how the heck are are you , my 94 is down will only start and run 30 degrees advanced . Hope all is well !

His reaction is way to fast
94 discovery THE MULE
00 discovery GRAY leather
96 discovery Three types of suffering !!
03 discovery The snorkel
post #40 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Doing well, just been keeping busy with the MGB, the 110 and work.

1972 MGB

post #41 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Well I've put over 1500 miles on it since the odometer picture about a month ago.

Yesterday I took the valve cover off and adjusted the valve lash. I can't believe how changing a few thousandths of inch can make such a difference. When I did the adjustment last time the car hadn't been driven in quite a few years or ran for that matter. So it was done cold to .015. This time I did it with the motor warmed to operating temp and set them at .013. Huge improvement in the smoothness of the engine and a bit of power to boot. I replaced the valve cover gasket while I was there and decided to move on to the weber carb....

After watching a youtube video of a Chimp tuning a weber carb successfully I decided I had 50/50 odds of being successful. So I followed the directions tuning by ear, and it made a huge improvement as well. I'll recheck the plugs in a few hundred miles along with keeping an eye on the tailpipe to see how she is running. Fingers crossed I think I did it right!

1972 MGB

post #42 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Here is the reason for all the work, that one thing that makes it all worth while...

Taking my 7 year old daughter to her first classic car cruise-in at Culver's in McHenry!

1972 MGB

post #43 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Well got a fan shroud for father's day to help the cooling system be all that it can be. I'm planning on putting that in this weekend. I also picked up new cooling hoses, T-stat, gasket, and some three point inertia reel seat belts to make it a bit safer.

On the safety front the Brake master cylinder died today on my way to work. Still had some brakes but definitely not where they needed to be. Apparently no one in Chicago stocks this damn thing so it's being over-nighted to the house so hopefully my wife can bring it to the unit tomorrow before she heads out of town for the weekend.

1972 MGB

post #44 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Updates:

1. Got the master cylinder got it in and hand a hell of time getting the brakes to bleed. It was insane how difficult it was to get those damn things right.

2. Had a front rim failing, strangest thing I have ever seen. The rim was bent but on top of it the lugs started pulling through the rostyles on that rim.

3. Found a set of old Datsun 280z rims on craigslist and got him down to $80.00 for set of 4. Got new shoes put on them 195/60/14 Falkens. Really improved the ride quality and handling. Downside is they rubbed in the back wells and they lowered the car about 3/4's of a inch. I did not need it sitting any lower but oh well. So I rolled the fender lips and that helped a bit but it didn't make sense why they were rubbing since others run this combo with no issues. Did some measuring and found the rear suspension is sagging about 4 inches. So that explains that and new springs are going to be ordered soon.

4. Today I cleaned up the rims and got them painted up, I'm damn happy with the results.

1972 MGB

post #45 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Just A Kid Posing As A Middle Aged Man...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking good ! Definitely looks a little low rider in back !

Mike
2004 Discovery II "The Grey Goose"--Sold...with regret
3" OME and Toddco Spacer lift, 32" Nittos, TW Shaft, Terrafirma stabilizer, custom winch bumper and sliders, rear camera, CB, 30 GB Zune and Infinity sub.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > General Land Rover Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in