I swear Honey the Defender 110 followed me home :D - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
I swear Honey the Defender 110 followed me home :D

So it's official, I'm leaving the Range Rover Classic Club and joined the 110 club

I flew out to Maryland and picked up a 83 110 5 door station wagon off of Rugbier. She has a 3.5 carbed V8 4 speed manual wrapped in Trident Green goodness. She will get a tasteful resto mod, I'll upgrade things for creature comforts etc but nothing to drastic.

After we got the headlight switch mystery solved I got on the road to head home to Chicago with one small detour to Rovers on the Rocks 4. I had a great time meeting folks, I've chatted with here on the forums for years. Sunday morning with my first mod done (winch bumper) I hit the road to home. 14 long hours later, she's in my drive and work begins.

Thanks to Gustavo for a great deal on a solid starter 110 and all the hospitality. Thanks to Justin (lucky8llc.com) and Trevor (roverlabs) for putting on a great event. Also thanks to Justin for bringing the bumper with him to save me the cost of shipping.

Of course here are the pics:

New bumper and winch going in:

A couple new stickers:

New badge I have to decide where to mount:

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol
2007 Chawton White LR3 Proud Rhino lift rods
1983 Trident Green 110, TerraFirma suspension, and bumpers
1991 Range Rover Classic Hunter Eastnor Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 07:33 AM
Super Trooper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Um, I'm jealous! It looks to be in pretty good shape. How's the interior?

One day I'll own a 110. It may be 30 years from now, but I'll have one one day. Can't wait for the progress reports on Honey.

Colin
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

The interior, looks 29 years old lol, it's solid though and the seats don't have any tears so that is a plus. It will get swapped out for something a bit more modern though maybe a DII interior so I can have ass warmers and a rear seat center seat belt for the kiddo.

The wife actually likes the Defender, so for now life is good lol.

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Wild Photog

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations !!! You will be very pleasantly surprised at how much fun and frustration you will get with a real 110

Before looking at DII interior, check with Exmoor Trim for heated front seats that still have the removable seat base for access to the battery box and the other compartment on the right hand side.

My Defender has a centre seat belt on the middle bench seat, so you can retrofit that too.

You can also get heated windscreen and door mirrors if you want them. I have a MUD console in mine, similar to late spec TD5 Defenders, that's a good fit too on yours, as is the Raptor console, which is even better.

Careful about SWAMBO liking it too much, nearly lost mine that way, but she bought her own Series IIA fortunately

Regards,
Brian

Defender 110 V8 CSW
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

I love the exmoor stuff but it costs way to much. I can go with something like the D2 interior for a couple hundred. I'm going to spend an hour or two wondering the local pick'n'pull checking out seating options.

Today I built a loadspace shelf, and pulled the rear center facing benches. It will make taking the dogs places and carrying luggage underneath. I love how easy it is to change the layout inside these things.

I'll never have to worry about the Wife stealing it though, she likes things like cruise control, air con, and roll down windows.

1972 MGB

post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 05:29 AM
Wild Photog

Fair enough

However, I saw this posted elsewhere today and thought you could be interested

Retrofit Insert Seat Heaters - DA5717 - Land Rover Parts Catalogue

Regards,
Brian

Defender 110 V8 CSW
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

I spent most of sunday morning roaming the junk yard near the house. I figured out a few things.

1. It's harder than I thought to find a rear seat that has a center seat shoulder belt.
2. Finding a back seat that is not real deep is harder than I thought.
3. The junk yard apparently crushes 2/3rds of its inventory before Thanksgiving.

In the end I found a nice workable set up in a 2000 Dodge Durango. The only problem is no center seat shoulder belt. I was doing my usual thread reading on D-90 and saw a guy selling jump seats from a 90. He had done 4 point harnesses for the seats for his kids. Brilliant, they will bolt up nicely to the factory seat belt cross bar already in place behind the seats. Probably safer than the standard 3 point as well. So it looks like I may go back and get the Durango interior and order up some harnesses.

The Defender and I had a disagreement yesterday though, gas gauge said 1/4 tank, fuel light came on 3 miles later I was out of gas. 2 miles short of the gas station...

Oh well at least I was close to home and my wife was able to come over real quick with a couple gallons of gas.

I pulled the rear side mount troop seats out of the tub. I built a shelf/platform giving a huge flat area behind the seats. This is great for my dogs, they can now lounge in comfort. Underneath I have about a 48"x38"x14" storage area for the luggage. So now everyone is happier. I'm going to add a few tie down points and maybe a mount for a 12 volt fridge. I'll post a few pics later.

A side benefit I realized afterwards is folding down the seats gives me a bit over 6 ft of flat area for camping. Now I need to make some window screens so I can leave them open and keep the bugs out.

I need to do some searching to see what I can do about upgrading the alternator from 45 amps to something a bit more respectable in the 80ish amp range.

1972 MGB

post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Seeing that you now own one, you should know better than to keep on calling it a defender.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 12:31 PM

If you live In Chicago what's with the indana temp plates ? I love it by the way!
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

I'm active duty Army so we can keep our license and registration in our home state.

Thanks, I'm digging it to lol

1972 MGB

post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by p76rangie View Post
Seeing that you now own one, you should know better than to keep on calling it a defender.
Trying not to confuse the natives I know in 83 it was a 110. Although the Indiana BMV and my insurance company were greatly confused by this.

1972 MGB

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congrats on the purchase! Hopefully you'll still be around the RRC sec to help out us noobs. lol
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 06:54 PM

Did they offer your 110 in the states?
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

No it's a import under the 25 year old rule

1972 MGB

post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Super Trooper

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blamo View Post
Did they offer your 110 in the states?
The 110 was only offered for the '93 model year in the States. Before that when the Series were still being shipped over, the 109 5 Door could be had.

Colin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > General Land Rover Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in