Rear brake problems - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rear brake problems

My partners 2018 Land Rover Discovery Sport is currently in the garage. The car is under full manufacturer warranty.

Car has done 17000 miles. The rear pads and discs are metal to metal and has totally ruined the discs. No warning light came up on her dash and she wasn't aware of what to look out for or listen for in this situation.

I was under the impression that the front pads would wear before the rear however the front still have plenty left on them.

The garage are claiming that this is not a warranty issue as the rear pads ALWAYS wear long before the front and are wanting to charge for new pads and discs. Even though no warning light appeared.

I am not great with cars but everywhere I have looked online etc I have seen that the front pads should be the first to go.

Has anyone had a similar situation??

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum
At 17000 miles I would expect full coverage.
You mentioned “garage “ not dealership???
If so contact your Dealer and or Land-rovers regional office in your area.
It is not uncommon for rear brakes to wear faster than front- mainly due to the rear having a smaller contact area (smaller brake pads)
Best of luck
Let us know how you make out.

Happy Happy Happy

2002 D2 se7 6 seater . complete engine rebuild with flanged liners , 2 inch lift, terrafirma shocks, LT 275/65r18 Cooper stt tires, d1 modified front bumper, safety devices rack, 30" l.e.d. Light bar
2004 D2 se5 (sold)
2001 D2 se5 (parts truck)
2000 D2 se7 (retired)
1997 D1 (sold)
1957 Series 1 88" future projet
2006 Suburu legacy outback (gets me around when the disco is not)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum22 View Post
The garage are claiming that this is not a warranty issue as the rear pads ALWAYS wear long before the front and are wanting to charge for new pads and discs. Even though no warning light appeared.
That's BS - and I would stay away from that shop. In ALL my years of ownership in many different vehicles, including my Rover, my rear brakes have NEVER gone out first - especially with only 17,000 miles on them! I've had 1 failure of my rear brakes during that time and it was due to a caliper being seized - of which I got a sensor alert letting me know my rear brakes were in need of service.

Like Red said - you need to contact your Regional Land Rover Office.

Michael
'01 LR Disco II SE7

R.I.P. - 99 LR Disco Series II

For Used RRC Parts: Paul Grant [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
For Used Disco Parts: Abran Abeyta [
]
For New Parts: British Parts of Utah or Atlantic British [most will price match Lucky8]

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
I will not disagree with Redtruck just say that that has never been my experience or my belief. The back brake pads on my Mercedes are significantly smaller than the front pads and I have replaced the front pads many more times than the back pads. The front pads (I have always been told) get more wear because they bear the weight of the engine when coming to a stop while the back pads have a lighter load.

Now on a motorcycle the reverse is true; in fact I have always tried not to use the front brakes at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > General Land Rover Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in