RRC LWB VS. P38, I can't decide which one is better. - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Henrod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RRC LWB VS. P38, I can't decide which one is better.

Hey guys,

I'm having a hard time trying to decide which vehicle is better, a '90's (preferably 1995) RRC LWB, or a early 2000's P38. I would be using one of the vehicles in question mostly as a commuter to work and back which is around 46 miles combined with most of the driving being on highways and interstates at speeds arounds 45-70 MPH. Now I know that the P38 would be the superior vehicle in this mode, but the drawback is that I participate in local BSA camp outs where cargo space matters and from what I've read, the P38 has five less cubic feet of cargo space compared to the RRC, and the RRC's cargo area is already a little small. But as I just said, the P38 is probably better built, it's probably better to drive as a commuter, and when properly maintained, will probably be more reliable, but I still think the RRC looks better than the P38, and it might be more rugged for both nature and people.

So as you can see, I'm in a tough spot trying to make a hard decision. I will be posting this across different groups as well as forums so that this post will get more publicity as well as different opinions.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
The P38 will be superior for the commute.

Where the RRC takes first place is, ease of working on it, reliability and cheaper to repair.

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol
2007 Chawton White LR3 Proud Rhino lift rods
1983 Trident Green 110, TerraFirma suspension, and bumpers
1991 Range Rover Classic Hunter Eastnor Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Super Trooper

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrodstone View Post
...But as I just said, the P38 is probably better built, it's probably better to drive as a commuter, and when properly maintained, will probably be more reliable...
Wrong, right, and wrong. The P38 is probably the worst Range Rover ever built. It has so many electrical gremlins. Mechanical parts are easy to fix. Electrical problems are a complete nightmare and can go untraced for years. Do yourself a favor and purchase the '95 LWB. I owned one and would buy another in a heartbeat.

Colin

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnfowler View Post
Wrong, right, and wrong. The P38 is probably the worst Range Rover ever built. It has so many electrical gremlins. Mechanical parts are easy to fix. Electrical problems are a complete nightmare and can go untraced for years. Do yourself a favor and purchase the '95 LWB. I owned one and would buy another in a heartbeat.

Colin
There would never be a question as to picking the RRC over the P38
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 12:52 PM

out of curiousity are most of the e-gremlins on the p38's related to the suspension or are they also just car related? just wondering what proportion of problems you could eliminate by doing a coil swap?

Brian

1990 RRC
1996 Toyota Avalon - hers
1989 F-250
1994 Toyota Pickup
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
The bulk of the problems with the P38 are BECM, HVAC and general electrical gremlins. The air suspension doesn't even rate as a big deal to most.

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol
2007 Chawton White LR3 Proud Rhino lift rods
1983 Trident Green 110, TerraFirma suspension, and bumpers
1991 Range Rover Classic Hunter Eastnor Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 02:03 PM

i see

Brian

1990 RRC
1996 Toyota Avalon - hers
1989 F-250
1994 Toyota Pickup
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The poor old p38 Range Rover, even Land Rover didn't want to fix it.

After they sat down and worked out what it was going to take to right everything that was wrong in it's mid-life design cycle they decided it would be cheaper to develop an entirely new vehicle........enter the L322 Range Rover in 2003.

Land Rover was so confident in the success of the p38 when it was launched in 1994 as a 1995 model for two years they continued making the original Range Rover (now called the 'classic') along side it.

That should tell you all you need to know.

"Your only supposed to blow the BLOODY DOORS OFF" Charlie Croaker. The Italian Job. 1969.

Matt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > General Land Rover Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in