To build a Def 100 from a Disco-1 - Page 2 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just posted a thread on general discussion asking for advice on getting started on doing this same thing... i should have looked at the hybrid section - i'd have found this post.

so has anyone who has done this documented their work?

Pat Herman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 06:40 AM
1980 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by moab_jeff
I did a 97 Disco 5 speed 4L. chassis swap with my '62 serII 109 body.
Any pictures of your build?
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 11:14 AM

engine

when/if you switch to carb do you need to get a different distributor and coil or do they still work? I just ordered a edelbrock intake manifold, edelbrock performer 500cfm carb, and air filter. Do I need a mallory distributor, or whatever the simplest version is?

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Moab-jeff

Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliftonRover
when/if you switch to carb do you need to get a different distributor and coil or do they still work? I just ordered a edelbrock intake manifold, edelbrock performer 500cfm carb, and air filter. Do I need a mallory distributor, or whatever the simplest version is?
The spark coils are controlled by the GEMS. If you get rid of that you will need a distributor/coil etc. The GEMS also runs the fuel pump. I found that everything works fine as is after the Dealer got the BRAIN to work. You do still need the alarm module however, even when it is disabled. Good luck! Jeff
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 03:36 AM

build

If anyone's done a build like this, and has the info/pics, pls can they drop me a pm? Thanks
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 07:45 PM

I've been contemplating converting my Rangie to a HCPU and wondered if the 130 bed wouldn't fit well on the 100" chassis. Too bad you didn't get a picture of that - I would be really interested in seeing a real one.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoudy View Post
I've been contemplating converting my Rangie to a HCPU and wondered if the 130 bed wouldn't fit well on the 100" chassis. Too bad you didn't get a picture of that - I would be really interested in seeing a real one.
If you made it into a single cab then used the bed off the double cab 130 it *might* work but WHY? You'll end up with a massive rear overhang, a Ranger sized ute tray, and seating for 2. If I was in the states I'd have an F250 or similar to do chores in. Do you have any reason not to keep your rangie as it is? IMO hybrids are great when you have two vehicles...one tidy ali series body with a buggered engine and rotten chassis and one rangie/disco with a rotten body but a tidy chassis and nice V8. That way you get an aluminium beast that murders offroad and a nice classic look. One of my favourite conversions is a Defender 90 body onto an unmodified 100" chassis. The wheels are right on the corners so you can practically drive up to a vertical brick wall, hook on the winch, and climb right over it. The ultimate offroader if there ever was one.

1971 109 Safari with a convertible (unriveted) roof....the only car in the world where the driver's got a soft top!
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 06:04 PM

I wouldn't do it for the utility - mainly for the look and to have something unique. EVERYbody here in Texas drives an F-250. Way too big and bulky for me. And common. Did I mention that? I would love to have a 130 double cab here, but that won't happen for a while. Even when they are old enough to import, my guess is that it will be cost prohibitive and difficult to find a left hand drive version.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Global British Inc

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thumbs up To build a Def 100 from a Disco-1

Or like this - ive almost completed over winter - debodied a good 98 shortened the chassis to 88 slammed on a 88 truck cab body and made a sub frame with integrated rock sliders holding the body level, trucks on 15x12x 35's with front/rear ARB's duel alternators & Optimas, Offenhauser intake & Edelbrock carb straight thru pipes and everything else is checkerplate - trucks called Yippekyaye and will be seriously thrashed this summer - even has a gun sight from a WW2 Sherman Tank :-)

Dom

Land Rover Salvage

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 10:22 AM

Hi i just finished my landrover rangerover v8 100" hybrid i thought i could just change the body type on the log book but no i have to take it for a sva test and fill out a form for a new id all i want to do is drive it . all i done was weld on to outriggers to take bulkhead and a series 3 crossmember then cut about 5" off rear tub
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Global British Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave0005 View Post
Hi i just finished my landrover rangerover v8 100" hybrid i thought i could just change the body type on the log book but no i have to take it for a sva test and fill out a form for a new id all i want to do is drive it . all i done was weld on to outriggers to take bulkhead and a series 3 crossmember then cut about 5" off rear tub
Glad i left the UK heard all abort that SORN business when i left, here in Ontario its a lot easier they dont care if its V8 or Diesel, coil conversion its all on the basis of the VIN so if its older & has a serial number even better.

For mine i just ressurected the vin a quick appraisal report $150 & the $37 fee and then went nuts with whatever i could cobble off the racks there's bits litrelly from all models 59-2004 on it.

Lol i know you'll laugh when you here the annual road tax is $75 bucks and petrol's a whopping $0.79 a litre hence why i dont want diesel

Small wonder the place is filling up with fed up Brits :-)

Dom
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 05:57 AM

Looks good Dom. Wheel it that is why you built it right. Mine is a true trail whore too and is sitting in the shop awaiting a new trans to be put in it. So far no major body damage yet though!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gordo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

00 P38 4.6 blinging
siia hybrid, nissandiesel, LT95,37 boggers, etc
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 10:54 AM

Has anyone done a soft top defender 100 hybrid? I've always seen them as a SW or a truck and not sure why. Wondering if there is some reason that that conversion is easier or something. Anyone with pictures?

Cheers, Josh

Josh Lester
04 Discovery G4 edition(2" RTE, OME)
86 944 turbo
BMW K1200rs
BMW 5er touring
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 09:16 PM

There is a great looking one here: http://www.allwheeltrim.co.uk/big-110-Hybrit.html
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 12:59 PM

100" Defender - D100X

I have converted a 1991 Range Rover to a 100" Defender which is nearing completion. Happy to share photos and information. D100X.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Hybrid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in