DI Diesel Conversion - Page 2 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is the best way to fix the ticking, properly. I have tried to read on it but have read mixed answers on it. It only has 99k on it so I don't think its anything serious, yesterday I changed the oil over to rotella 15w 40. Is this ok, using a mobil one filter also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 04:56 PM

Yeah found the power specs and said no way!

Here is an interesting concept!!! I found an article on a guy that has put a duramax in an S10 Pick up with success!! After measuring and finding adapters we are putting one in a customer's CJ-7 Allison and built dana 300! Once that is done successfully then my turn!!
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 04:19 PM

Garage
i love the diesel idea, but I think I may try doing it as soon as I can locate a 109, maybe put in the isuzu. But I found this disco on another site. Nice job, good reveiws from owner. http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=54154

03 Disco S, 71k. Done- rear dif, front driveshaft, 2" OME lift and shocks, Kumho MT KL71, every stinking gasket on the engine and oil pump, wires, plugs, t-stat. Locking TC.

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:08 PM

Who has done an actual conversion?

I am new to this forum. I see many discussions about converting Discoveries to diesel. Has anyone actually done a conversion in the USA? If you have, I have some questions:
1. Which engine did you use?

2. Did you keep the automatic transmission? Did you have to modify the automatic transmission as per M&D Engineering?

3. How is the fuel economy?

4. What was the cost?

Thanks
akubra91
1998 Discovery
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 07:23 AM

300tdi almost completed

We are almost finished with converting our 03 disco from 4.6 gas V8 to 2.5l 300tdi. We bought a used engine and auto transmission from the UK (45k miles) and had it shipped over, after "refreshing it" (not a complete rebuild). We used a local shop for the installation, and they were great.

Unfortunately, the costs have been much higher than anticipated, mostly due to a failure on the vendor's part to supply all the parts he said he was going to. That part was a several-month-long nightmare. (I think I ended up buying a part or two from every UK Land Rover store just complete the "package" I ordered from the first vendor. I can probably tell you who to use and who to avoid.)

At any rate, we have it all running now, and the only thing we lack at this point is getting the AC up and running again.

'03 Discovery
300tdi w/ZF 4HP22 auto trans
K&N air filter
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 10:22 AM
disco biscuit

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What problems did you have with it? How much money did it wind up costing you? If you could tell us the things you didn't think of that ended up being a problem it would help Me out, if I ever get around to it. What'd the vendor not send with it.

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide App
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 06:05 AM
Oliver

30 tdi conversions

After doing 300 tdi conversions into two different Land Rovers the cost is always higher than you expect. The automatic behind the v8 will need to be changed as the torque converter and shifting is incorrect for the low rev-ing 300 tdi. Use the r380 5 speed as it is rated for more torque than the lt 77. No need for the full width intercooler, a more efficient version is available for the stock location. The full width will restrict air flow thru the radiator and they tend to run hotter. The 300 tdi is easier to get parts for and has some major improvements over the 200. The 300 tdi turbo and manifold being more efficient and in a better location allowing it to be used in defenders and discos. I have the weld in motor mounts and 300 tdi cross members in stock to do this swap. Call equicar in the uk, they usually have good 300 tdi's in stock for cheap. Rovers North has the glow plug relay and harness.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've done 3 diesel transplants in my various rangies over the years.
1st: 85 RR fitted Mirtsubishi 3.3 Turbo and R380 box- quite a lot of torque and seemed ok for towing ONCE you rode the clutch to get moving! Heavy at front end ( weight of 2 V8's there), spoilt handling. No rev range.
2nd: 93 RR- fitted a 300TDI and retained the ZF auto; similar weight to V8 so no air suspension problems; tweaked it with bigger intercooler, more fuel, slightly more boost. It went well- same as 3.9 V8, but blew lots black smoke when full power! Easy transplant as no electronics to worry about, really all the change to electrics was a power-off solenoid!
3rd and still current: 94 RR soft dash LSE- fitted a TD5 and electronic auto, went the hard way ( not all Disco wiring loom) as I retained EAS and true Wabco brakes/ETC.
Power upgrade, better exhaust and this one like a 4.6 V8! NO smoke! As I've used this car for heavy towing these last 5 years, have destroyed the ZF 4HP22, so now upgraded to 4HP24 and bigger torque converter. Lower stall/not sounding so busy now, it feels a lot stronger, quicker acceleration.
Because of the rear legroom of this car, I doubt I'll ever get rid of it. Still no RR has same amount of interior space. ( Unless I can find another soft dash LSE AND a TDV6! Interesting thought?)
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 05:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Nice, the LSE sounds interesting. I have a nice LWB I was going to strip for parts, but it is still in good order except for the engine and the previous owner dismantling everything inside so I just can't bring myself to do it. Got any pic's of the install?

Refreshing to hear about a group of guys that want to swap in proper small displacement diesels and not old GM boat anchors.

"Your only supposed to blow the BLOODY DOORS OFF" Charlie Croaker. The Italian Job. 1969.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Matt.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 08:52 PM

TD5 conversion

Travelling at present and don't have engine photos but under bonnet (hate to say) looks almost Disco II!
Keep your LSE! getting rarer! Nowadays there are many Jap diesels that almost up with TD5 in power, but conversion would /could be tricky.
I had to get my own diagnostics so as to do this conversion, but at least "standard" LR diagnostics can be used. I bought Rovacom and it has proven itself to be much more capable than the dealers' expensive Testbook.
Earns me pocket money too, as locals come to me rather than go to dealer!
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 08:58 PM

TD5 conversion

Travelling at present and don't have engine photos but under bonnet (hate to say) looks almost Disco II!
Keep your LSE! getting rarer! Nowadays there are many Jap diesels that almost up with TD5 in power, but conversion would /could be tricky.
I had to get my own diagnostics so as to do this conversion, but at least "standard" LR diagnostics can be used. I bought Rovacom and it has proven itself to be much more capable than the dealers' expensive Testbook.
Earns me pocket money too, as locals come to me rather than go to dealer!
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmccune View Post
What is the best way to fix the ticking, properly. I have tried to read on it but have read mixed answers on it. It only has 99k on it so I don't think its anything serious, yesterday I changed the oil over to rotella 15w 40. Is this ok, using a mobil one filter also.

There is a oil additive called sticky lifter put out by various companies. Its basically a heavy duty detergent cleans out the oil system run around with it for about 300kms then dump the oil and oil filter as they will be full of crap. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't worth a go.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRD FETISH View Post
I have a free 6.2l GM diesel with a banks turbo system! I am going to rebuild it and use it! My engine is fine right now so it will give me time to increase the capacity of the 6.2 and collect all the necessary parts!
Everybody knows the 6.2 Jimmy Diesel is a turd. I had them in the Military and they were junk and horribly underpowered. 6.5 is better, but not much...You get a longer stroke and more torque with a inline arrangement and exactly why commercial trucks use inline diesel engines. This 6.2 will do nothing but add excess weight to your truck and make people scratch their heads as to why you even bothered to use it. You'll need custom adapters and a whole bunch more...

You are better off fitting a factory 200-300tdi unit as it is bolt in. If you want more power, upgrade it. If you want more power than that, go to an Isuzu 4bt or 6bt from a delivery truck...There are adapters already made for this swap including engine mounts.... We put a Cummins 6bt from a UPS truck into a 109 and it was a ton of work. Had to lengthen the frame 6" to move the engine forward, NVG 3500 trans, custom mounts, custom adapters... Is it fast, no. does it pull like a freight train? yes...was it worth it? I wouldn't have bothered with it...

1996 Disco XD 1996 Trek #4 and Camel Trophy Team USA Selections 1997
2003 Disco SE7 expedition prepped
1998 Disco LSE 7 50th Anniversary Baluga Black
1987 Defender 110 300tdi/R380
1969 Series 2A 109
Pacific Coast Rover Club
Redmond, Washington

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 09:00 PM

Emission and registration issues

I am thinking of concerting a 98 Disco to diesel. Some of you on this page have done conversions. How have you dealt with state emissions tests? From my research in the Portland metro area in Oregon and Colorado, you are not allowed to change to a non-certified engine. How have you guys solved this problem?

Thanks
John
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akubra91 View Post
I am thinking of concerting a 98 Disco to diesel. Some of you on this page have done conversions. How have you dealt with state emissions tests? From my research in the Portland metro area in Oregon and Colorado, you are not allowed to change to a non-certified engine. How have you guys solved this problem?

Thanks
John
You don't really. The problem isn't the legality of the engine so much as the state testing requirements. a 98 vehicle will be expected to have an ODBII computer on board and any state doing emissions testing will try to use that. The moment they don't find one you are in the twighlight zone, and what happens next is dependent on your state and who is working that day. It could be as simple as signing a paper saying it was converted to a diesel and they will take you off the roster. It could mean your vehicle will be towed away and never be licensed to drive in that state. If your state also does safety inspections then you have two chances to get fucked with. So far I've heard more horror stories about safety inspections going wrong than anything, because emissions testing usually has a provision for simply exempting vehicles, but safety tests seldom account for a car that should have an ODBII suddenly not having one. In the end I found a 95D1 and put a 300Tdi in it. Because the car had never been tested in my state, when I titled it they said it was too old and didn't add it to the roster for emissions testing, and I have no state safety inspection. If I did, a 95 vehicle is not required to have an ODBII. As far as the legality of the engine, its true its not legal, but no one really cares once its out of customs. The stories you hear about engines and cars being confiscated are all regarding commercial operations that import and put illegal cars on the road. To my knowledge I've seen no credible account of a legally registered vehicle being impounded by the feds because it has a non DOT approved PERSONALLY INSTALLED engine. There were a lot of Nissans impounded, but that stemmed from the fact that there were companies importing the engines and claiming they had found a way to legally use them. This was egregious and the companies were warned for a couple of years before the FEDs took action. Others with the same cars that they built themselves or through other other channels were never bothered; only those who used a specific list of importers who flaunted and fraudulently claimed to be doing a legal conversion were hassled. Individual states currently have no mandate to enforce or even LOOK at DOT standards for stuff like that, and all they care about is the ODBII issue which took effect in 1996. If you can figure out a way to create an ODBII compliant Land Rover for less than it would cost you to move to Europe and buy a used one, more power to you. My advice, as someone who did this, is stick to 1995 or older.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Hybrid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in