Isuzu 4bd1t conversion! - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Isuzu 4bd1t conversion!

Here's what I have found out so far:

The engine came a few series rover's in Australia!
There have been a few swap's already done in D2's and D1's.
Here are a few links I have gathered.

2000 Rover Disco 2 - 4BD1T, NV 5 speed LT230 swap. Complete running 100%. - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Landrover: Isuzu 4BD1 Transmission - Home

Overview

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/forumd...Isuzu-4BD1T-2T

Here is a link for some aftermarket parts for the 4bd1t:

Chinahanji Parts Plant - Element,nozzle,valve | fuel injection pump | diesel pump | fuel system | Pencil Injector

Since there is so much parts support and adapters available and the pure fact that it has been done before! I am doing it! It sounds like a great motor too! I drove a Isuzu NPR doing installations for my father, that thing had tons of power for a 16' box van! Anyhow progress will be posted soon!

Last edited by LRD FETISH; 08-21-2011 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Here's some pics of a tranny converted for The LT230!

Here are some pics of a fitted trans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LeftSide.jpg
Views:	16262
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	29393   Click image for larger version

Name:	RightSide.jpg
Views:	11704
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	29394  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

And something for fun!!

He He! Just try and tell me the 4bd1t doesn't have power!!!

first time starting the twin turbo isuzu diesel - YouTube

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

The reasoning!

I haven't started the build yet! I am gathering parts and gathering intel! I never start a huge project unless I have studied it thoroughly! I went from 6.2l diesel to ls series to the Isuzu! The 6.2l after very little investigation, is a complete hunk of antiquated junk, to heavy and not enough power! The LS1 or LS series of motors, quite simply everyone and there grandmothers swap these into everything, they also don't run on veg oil (a big thing for me)!!!

After finding the right motor I am now working on it! Some may say that this is not keeping it a Land Rover! Wrong Isuzu have worked with rover on quite a few projects, including putting the 4bd1 in the series rovers! I will be using the Isuzu 5spd as I hate automatics, most people us a body lift to fit these, I hate body lift's more than automatics so I will be cutting to fit!

I will also be upgrading to toyota diffs and alloy shafts at this time! It will also give 4.10:1 and that is where I want to be for future tyre upgrade's! After seeing the twin turbo setup above I am not worried about putting a bigger turbo on, it's seems like it has no problem with twins (I will not be putting twins on)!! Driveshaft's will be upgraded too, I already got rid of the gough hack weeesss woonderfull roto-flex (Who the HELL designed that piece of crap?? Same guy that designed the side post battery maybe!!).

Anyway I know that someone on here in a classic has done the swap (Having a hard time finding it again.), and that is the same frame if I am not mistaken!! Anyway I thought I might try and put all of the info in one area!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 02:34 PM
disco biscuit

@O.P. this is an excellent collection of links. The first link listed is a fu**in beast. I noticed he said he had 35k in it though. He prolly paid a stupid price for a vehicle in the first place then cut it up. He also had a new turbo in that price. Ima hit this thread up more when I got extra time.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Yep!

He has a lot of money in it! Look at the bumpers too! Also he may be paying people to work on it! I will be doing all of my work! Also I will be using the Isuzu trans as it will save alot of money! If I find a cheap NV4500 I might but that is like saying if I find a pot of gold! The Isuzu Trans is not an overdrive it is a 5spd but last gear is 1:1 but from all the studying you don't need an overdrive with this motor! Also the vibration he describes is common with the chevy trans conversion for this motor, as the early adapter kits had to be centered and drilled by the customer!! So his flywheel may be slightly out! I want strength and reliability over all other considerations!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This great! I have an automatic (hate shifting) so it may be different for me and what I would need to do. But that one link you have on here would easily help me through it. I am glad I can get the conversion kits so I don't have to retrofit the entire thing. Considering this is my Daily Driver.... Maybe 5 days I could get the rover engine all out and the new one in?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 03:37 PM
disco biscuit

Revival...you out there fetish? Was wonderin if you ever looked into it more. I passed up another bread truck for 600$ with the cummins isuzu in it. Third times a charm maybe...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Quit passing them up and buy one!

Just make sure it is the Isuzu and not the Cummins! Isuzu is a smaller motor!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 06:41 PM
disco biscuit

I didnt realize there was a difference. I thought the isuzu was made by cummins. But I really aint sure about that. Come to think of it, A buddy of mine had a chevy luv with an isuzu diesel in it. I wonder which one that was. It wasnt a transplant, the dealer offered them. I didnt realize they were actually made by isuzu themselves.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

The Isuzu that was in the luv was a much smaller engine and not turbo way too weak for the land rover! The problem both engines have similar model numbers Isuzu 4BD1T and the Cummins 4BT! Both completely different engines! Except for cylinders and pretty close to the same capacity! But you can fit the 4BT also it is just a physically bigger engine so just a little tighter in there!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 04:41 PM
disco biscuit

I guess thats why I was confused. I know some people around her that have transplanted the cummins version in several different type vehicles. I havent spent time over there like I planned. Too busy these days. Just finishing off an epic battle bringing my Powerstroke back to life. At least it had 279k mi on it before I had to really get into it. Another positive thing about a good diesel.

Are you planning to do a vw/volvo-diesel swap soon? What year and model are gonna do it in?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

D1

1996 discovery! I am going to use a D24T with a n/a intake and an intercooler! As soon as I have enough money!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 05:52 PM
disco biscuit

Why are you gonna use the n/a intake? Shorter runner length or something? The powerstroke i've been workin on is direct injection. I know alot of people talk down about the electronic addicted diesels but they're far more simple in other areas like the intake. Theres no intake manifold. Just down tubes piped straight into the heads....no throttle cables, no throttle body, just air dumped straight in and fuel is sprayed in accordingly. I like it alot better. No tuning the injection pump, porting and polishing. Im convinced it makes them more reliable and easier to setup how you want it.

I dont know anything about the motor you're using. I assume its turbo considering your mention of an intercooler. I'm seriously looking for the right diesel to eventually. I plan on rebuilding the engine I have now first soo you'll beat me to it. I wanna get my drive train reliable now to free me up for mods. I dont plan on throwing the diesel hurdle in front of wheeling it next hunting season. I hope to watch you go through it first. My ride is an 04 disco, but by that time I might decide to put it in a classic or some sort of rangie.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

d24t.com

Have a look at the above site tons of info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Hybrid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in