Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

GAP tool versus NANOCOM EVO

14K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  JUKE179r 
#1 ·
hey all,

i'm rehabbing this 06 RRS, and it's LOUSY with faults. i'd like to buy a comprehensive scan tool that can dig deep into EAS, ABS, and other stuff that your generic tools can't. also, i'd like to be able to program some additional keys for both of my solo-key rovers.

i think i'm narrowed down to the GAP IIDTool BT and the NANOCOM EVO

i see some rave reviews of the GAP tool, but i also see people putting the EVO at the top of the food chain. NANOCOM suggests that their tools are vehicle specific, meaning i can't use it on the RRS and the D2 i guess?

the GAP tool will work for both? program keys?

looking forward to your input.

#2 ·
Hi. AFAIK the GAP tool will not work on a D2 only D3/RRS or beyond... if you want one tool for both D2 and RRS then nanocom is the way to go as to buy a basic kit for one of the vehicles and the unlock code for the other, e.g
1. https://www.nanocom-diagnostics.com/shop/product/ncom04
2. https://www.nanocom-diagnostics.com/shop/product/ncom51
or the RRS basic kit and unlock codes for D2, see in "Shop" , same finality

click on "Emulator" in the top bar in one of those links and you can select any vehice's system and play to make an ideea also you have instructional videos and guides in the "download and support" section

A cheaper version which covers all LR's and has quite good coverage for D2 and RRS(can't do so many things like nanocom but way more than a generic scanner) is this https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOXWELL-NT...ANNER-TOOL-SRS-ABS-ENGINE-NT510-/182919905817 , download and see the "Special functions list" (which is for the first version of the tool) https://docdro.id/3TP8YnZ

Nanocom and Foxwell were tested by me and can vouch for them, i won't recommend other, i can just warn you to beware of iLand or iCarsoft which are full of sh*t IMO

#3 ·
thanks for that, i saw "discovery" and my brain omitted the "3, 4" from the GAP tool page. well it looks like i'm super narrowed down to NANOCOM.

i've read about AUTEL and FOXWELL etc... not really on my radar. the NANOCOM can program keys, and is only marginally more expensive with the additional license activation.

thanks fery!

#4 ·
You will be very happy with the Nanocom. I am. :nerd
Very much worth the money.

#5 ·
Bought the Nanocom and after a long hassle setup ... it consistently refuses to connect to the ECU and Hella Cruise Control ..

They also do not include the D1 and D2 in the same unit .. forcing you to buy another Nanocom if you have a D1

#6 ·
I think you are doing something wrong or didnt follow well the user guides... especially that there is no nanocom option for D1 but if it was nobody forces you to buy another Nanocom only a vehicle unlock code to update the existing unit as it's available for D3, RRS, Freelander 2, etc.

#7 ·
I “ordered” the nanocom for my RRS, but they sent me an email saying that they manually process each order and they probably won’t get to min until Monday. Their communication is TERRIBLE. I’ve been trying to ask you them questions, and I get a very short response every two days at the soonest. I’ve never had such a hard time buying anything.

I think that it’s super scamtastic that they want to charge for two modules for the D2.

I’m excited to have the tool if/when it ever arrives, but my experience dealing with nanocom has been the pits, and I pray that I never need their support.

#11 ·
They've split the engine code as it's present on Defenders too also there are two engine codes for the D2, diesel and petrol so for a D2 if that's the main vehicle you buy the unit which contains the systems and the engine at your choice then you can buy codes for other vehicles.... it can be usefull if you have a diesel D2 and a Defender with same engine cos then you have to buy just the system codes for the Defender as the engine is already covered by the D2 code.

#12 ·
yes i understand the delineation there, but it seems a bit of a money-grab when they could just say "oh you're buying for D2, you get these two codes"

anyway, i used the Euro hack and saved myself about $50. they finally took my money and hopefully i have it soon.

i guess i'll fork over ANOTHER $120 when it's time to chase after my three amigos

#15 ·
I have been using a Foxwell for the past two days, because my EVO won’t arrive until Monday. It’s a pretty good tool, and I’m starting to wonder if I really needed the EVO.

Oh well.

#16 ·
I've got both. I keep the Foxwell in my wife's BMW X5 since I now have a Nanocom for my Disco 2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.