Hello everyone, I just picked up a 1995 Range Rover Classic from Wisconsin with 182k miles and I wanted to share my future project, Bertha. This is my first Range Rover and I hope to learn from everyone here.
To give a little background, the previous owner purchased it 6 years ago from Falconworks
and drove it back from Arizona to Wisconsin. Luckily, I found his posting on Craigslist and the only flaws I noticed were CEL light, SRS light, minor fuel cut issue, and your normal cosmetic wear & tear. Being an Arizona truck the underbody only had some surface rust.
I decided to pick up a RRC since my buddy took me wheeling with the Chicago Land Rover Club at the Cliffs Insane Terrain in Marsailes, IL. My friend owns the black DII in the photos below and his dad owns the white 95' RRC. By the end of the day I was amazed how well his dad's RRC performed and I loved the Classic look. Other than clearance issues (high centering on mud-ruts) it had no issues throughout the trails.
After I bought my RRC, I started project Bertha by replacing the spark plugs and wires.
As you can see the old plugs were rusted and corroded.
I ended up buying NGK Platinum plugs and Duralast wires from AutoZone. As soon as I finished, I noticed throttle response was much better and my fuel cut issue had gone away.
Next, I got a new fuel pump from eBay for $60. Unfortunately, the pump didn't come with the fuel feed ring or union nut so I had to go on a wild goose chase between Home Depot & Pep Boys to find the right size fuel feed ring, which happens to be 5/16 (8mm).
I ended up reusing the OEM union nut by cutting the OEM fuel feed with bolt cutters and pulling it through the back end.
I'll be sure to share more details as my build progresses. Hope everyone could provide some valuable insight!