08 RR Sport Suspension Compressor Replacement - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
08 RR Sport Suspension Compressor Replacement

Hi,
I just recently bought an 08 RR Sport and it came with some undisclosed gremlins. Reading some of the forums they sound almost like features...

The suspension compressor is very loud (over the radio) and runs for some time so pretty sure it is bad.
It looks to be the Hitachi type (6 way plug and drier about the size of a coke. Is there a better way to tell?) and from all I've seen even the dealers now install the AMK when replacing it.
The vehicle is for my fiancee so won't get much offroad use aside from the odd spin on the beach or dirt road so I'm not looking to spend a whole bunch. Looked at several aftermarket on ebay for $200-300 USD. My main question is if going this route is there any point to swapping to the AMK style? It seems AMK is better than Hitachi but are the copies the same way?
I do have a Mongoose cable and software but not tried to use it yet. In theory it looks like I could reprogram for the AMK but if there's no gain I'll skip that bit.

Also watched a video on replacing (Arnott) and they seemed to go from Hitachi to AMK they did not replace the cover. Cover lid is currently missing on mine so was going to buy one.

It also has (had? added Lucas sealer) an ACE leak but I'll save that for another day.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Nick..

2008 RR Sport SC
from Manchester, UK but now in Texas, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Have you checked the suspension for leaks? If the compressor is running a lot all that air is probably going somewhere.

I can't speak on the compressor options but the replacement will burn out in short order if the system is leaking and you'll have a spring failure in the near future if the air bags are a source of the leak.

Before you spend money on a compressor you should check out the rest of the system. It may be smarter to just pony up for a conversion kit and remove all the future issues now before they start to snowball down the road.

2001 Disco II SE7
ASE Master Technician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover P38, Mk III and Range Rover Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in