2006 range rover hse (non supercharged) overheating. Help! - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question 2006 range rover hse (non supercharged) overheating. Help!

I HAVE A NON SUPERCHARGED 2006 RANGE ROVER HSE 4.4L. I HAVE REPLACED THERMOSTAT, WATER PUMP, LOWER RADIATOR THERMOSTAT, FLUSHED ENGINE AND RADIATOR, NEW EXPANSION TANK AND CAP, TEMPERATURE SENSORS, ENGINE OIL COOLER AND HOSES.

I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND WHY I'M STILL HAVING OVERHEATING PROBLEMS. IT APPEARS THAT I AM NOT GETTING ADEQUATE CIRCULATION. I CAN REMOVE THE TOP RADIATOR HOSE AND FEED WATER THROUGH THE TOP HOSE. NORMALLY THERE WOULD BE A RATHER HEALTHY FLOW OF WATER COMING OUT OF THE TOP RADIATOR HOSE HOUSING. HOWEVER IT TENDS TO FLOW SLOWLY. FLOWS VERY GOOD OFF THE VEHICLE AND PRESSURE TESTED WELL.

AT IDLE THE TEMPERATURE BEGINS TO RISE AND WILL GET AS HIGH AS 253 DEGREES. I CAN TAKE A WATER HOSE AND SPRAY THE ENTIRE THERMOSTAT COVER ASSEMBLY (LR007603) AND IT WILL IMMEDIATELY COOL DOWN TO AS LOW AS 80 DEGREES. ONCE TAKEN OFF THE TEMP RISE STARTS AGAIN. COOLING FANS FUNCTION AND START AS THEY SHOULD.

IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THE ENTIRE THERMOSTAT COVER ASSEMBLY HOUSING IS BAD AND CREATING THIS PROBLEM?

I HAVE DONE ALL I CAN THINK OF TO DO AS OF THIS POINT. HEADS AND HEAD GASKETS ARE GOOD, NO LEAKING THERE.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS? ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 12:13 PM

Sounds like bad thermostat - maybe new one is bad ? Take it out and test in boiling water ... Replace with another new one.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 12:15 PM

Sounds like bad thermostat still - take it out and test in boiling water. Cheap to replace with new one ...are you also sure system is bled correctly ...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 12:39 PM
Returning Rover

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Perhaps the issue is with the radiator itself. Clogged tubes will restrict the flow. I take it overheating was the initial problem. Did you purchase this Rover new & has the radiator been maintained? I ask because perhaps a previous owner didn't keep up with the maintenance. It sounds like there is a restriction and you have replaced almost everything other than the radiator...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 03:56 PM

Hi I just wondering what is was the problems with you cars
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 03:57 PM

I have the same problems with my Range Rover
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Sounds like a bad radiator not thermostat.
Dave

The City is a Jungle.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present Land Rovers
1999 LR Disco II SD7 White 150K miles 'The Beach Boy' (PR truck)
2005 LR3/ D3 SE 4.4 Bonatti 'Fancy Professor' (my girl's LA LR3)
2005 LR3/ D3 SE 4.4 Bonatti 'The Rhino'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(my NYC LR3)
De-tangoed Headlights, LR4 Style Grille, Dueler Alenza HL 255/55/19

Past Land Rovers
1999 LR Disco II SD Niagara Grey 'Old Rhino' 200K+ miles (Sold)
1991 Range Rover Classic Green 'The Turtle' 200K+ miles (Sold)
1988 Range Rover Classic White 'The Rust Bucket' (Sold)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the same problem with my 2006 RR. I have done everything and I am still having the overheating problem. Now I am thinking about a head gasket job

To be correct, I brought that car with that problem from the previous owner.

Now, my dilemma is either do the head gasket job or replace the engine. it just happens that I have another 2006 RR which runs perfectly.

I just love the car. I will keep you updated.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There are several ways to test a head-gasket for failures.

A chemical test will turn a CO2 sensitive fluid a different color if CO2 is found in your cooling system.

You can pull your spark plugs and pressurize your coolant system for 24 hours. If you turn the motor over and there is coolant shooting out of the spark plug tubes, you have a slow leak.

You can inspect plugs for signs of coolant.

You can monitor cooling system pressure and thermostat opperation via a pressure guage and scan tool....

Point is, have someone that really knows their stuff test the head gaskets a few different ways before going down this road.

Also check airflow over the radiator. Put a fan in front of the radiator and see if temps come down at idle. If this solves the issue you have a weak fan or a clogged/weak radiator.

If you rev the engine to 2000 rpms while sitting still and the temps come down, you have a flow issues. Weak water pump, restriction in the system, etc.

If the system starts to overheat after a few minutes and nothing seems to bring the temperatures back down you may have a headgasket issue or a stuck thermostat.

The thermostat should be replaced if it's been subjected to high temperatures. They are simple springs and wax valves and spring metal can loose its memory with high temperatures. A new thermostat may be opening incorrectly but you'll be able to see that with a scan tool.

2001 Disco II SE7
ASE Master Technician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover P38, Mk III and Range Rover Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in