Air suspension and fuel rail inquiries - 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4L - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Air suspension and fuel rail inquiries - 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4L

Hey guys/gals... as the title states, this is regarding a 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4L.

I recently took it into the shop for an unrelated issue and upon inspection, etc... it came back with a check engine light on (which wasn't on when I brought it in), the air suspension in the front end not working, and a diagnoses for a replacement of the entire fuel rail.

Obviously, I'm pretty upset about the whole check engine light/suspension getting thrown on me. In their defense, I did notice that driving the previous week, when hitting bumps, they were feeling a lot more "jarring" than usual, so hopefully it's legitimate maintenance and was just a coincidence. It should be noted, though, that this shop did try and rip us off about ~20 years ago, though after reading reviews online and thinking it's been so many years, I thought I'd give them a second chance. Typical, I guess, for shops, either way.

My questions are: are the "air suspension shock struts" on Amazon and eBay decent quality (here's an example: shorturl.at/aoX12)? More specifically, I notice that the mechanic has the price of one being ~$575. Atlantic British has one at ~$400. Then, there's the $200 ones from Amazon and eBay . Anyone have any experience with the $200 pieces? Also, do they have to be replaced in a pair or can one be replaced at a time?

As for the fuel rail: the mechanic is saying that a driver's side fuel rail pressure regulator is leaking fuel (which, I've been smelling fuel for some time now). They said that the regulator CAN NOT be replaced separately. The entire fuel rail must be replaced, supposedly. They've priced a new fuel rail at ~$3,500 which is friggin' preposterous and ridiculous, to put it nicely. I see that there are used rails for sale on eBay for ~$50. Anyone have any insight and/or experience with the fuel rail and the regulators?

Thanks a lot for any replies and insight. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Found some fuel rails for sale at landrovermerriampartsdotcom and roverlandpartsdotcom, both of which are considerably less than what I was quoted.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been looking at these on eBay.

I don't know anything about them, but my front are leaking and I thought about getting these and installing them. Let me know what you end up doing. Thanks, Jay

It wouldn't let me post the link on ebay, but they're 170.00 a piece for the front air bag suspension.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:12 AM

I believe the 2008 is the same engine as the jaguar v8. you might spend a little bit of time looking at this thread

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-damper-83606/

about fuel rail leaks on the jaguar XK8. I just repaired these leaks at the pulse damper on the fuel rail. There is a photo there for comparison. If your problem is actually the pulse damper rather than fuel pressure sensor it’s in easy fix. I just removed the fuel rail cut off the damper and welded the fitting shut then reinstalled fuel rail. Easy to do as long as you don’t have a supercharge
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprahero View Post

I don't know anything about them, but my front are leaking and I thought about getting these and installing them. Let me know what you end up doing. Thanks, Jay

It wouldn't let me post the link on ebay, but they're 170.00 a piece for the front air bag suspension.
Yes, I've seen those, I think.

Well, I recently purchased some of those cheaper ones and installed them. Both were defective. :/ So, I wouldn't really recommend ordering them, but if you do make sure you go with a company that has good reviews, a return policy, and warranty. From my reading the brands to go with are Arnott, BWI, and Delphi (possibly Bilstein, too, but haven't read too much about them yet) if you want to make sure they're not cheap quality.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island rider View Post
I believe the 2008 is the same engine as the jaguar v8. you might spend a little bit of time looking at this thread

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-damper-83606/

about fuel rail leaks on the jaguar XK8. I just repaired these leaks at the pulse damper on the fuel rail. There is a photo there for comparison. If your problem is actually the pulse damper rather than fuel pressure sensor itís in easy fix. I just removed the fuel rail cut off the damper and welded the fitting shut then reinstalled fuel rail. Easy to do as long as you donít have a supercharge
Ok, will do. Thanks. Hopefully it isn't the sensor!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprahero View Post

I already replied once, not sure if you saw it. Nevertheless, I ended up going with a pair from aerosus.com. They're a German company that seems to have a pretty solid reputation, as well as a nice guarantee, and shipping policy. As is so often true, "German engineering" is pretty darn good and what I received from them definitely felt much higher quality than what I got before from the other place. I've since installed them and am very happy with them.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island rider View Post
I believe the 2008 is the same engine as the jaguar v8.
I haven't spent much time looking just yet, as I'm getting ready to order a fuel rail today, but thought I'd ask you also, since it sounds like you have quite a bit of experience.

What's the difficulty with replacing the fuel rail? I get the feeling that it's not all that involved, but don't have much experience anyway. Is there anything you would recommend, advise, etc.... ?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 04:43 PM

As long as yours is not a supercharged model the fuel rail is a pretty simple removal and re-installation, maybe an hour and a half. Be careful of brittle plastic on injectors and pressure sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover P38, Mk III and Range Rover Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in