Need Honest Opinions ASAP - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question Need Honest Opinions ASAP

Hi - I am new on this site. I sold my previous car with the intention of buying a 2008 RR Sport. The salesman actually tried to talk me out of buying it, stating that they are 'maintenance nightmares'. I did a lot of research and there seems to be no middle ground... either people love them and would drive anything else, or they agree with the salesman.

Honest opinions please - buy or don't buy?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Super Trooper

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
We love our Land Rovers, warts and all. It is a love/hate relationship, but we make it work.

Colin
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Keep an eye and ear peeled and it'll treat you well. act like a idiot and make a shop rich.

Like I tell people every single day. the most worst part about a land rover is a oblivious owner.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 06:43 PM
disco biscuit

The land rover has captured an otherwise American made freak. First when I bought it I imagined british people building it...talking all gay and snide around it. Thought it prolly shouldn't even be allowed in Texas.

I'm an official life long owner now, I'll sell my wife before my rover. I already tried for a bumper trade.jk.

I work on everything I own including house, car and buzz. If you don't, the up keep might break you. Unless your rollin in the dough. Up keep is critical to longevity, alot are neglected cause you don't just go to walmart and get the oil changed. I consider it easy to work on aside from having to order every little part.

I haven't seen a whole lot of people on here or other forums actually post up their complete experience with the newer rangies so be sure to keep us updated. I'd like to pick one up one day for alot less than what they are now. I'd like to follow ur experience with it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 06:46 PM
disco biscuit

My favorite saying I picked up from somebody's signature.

Owning a rover is like a close relative in a coma...you know you shoulda pulled the plug along time ago but just can't bring yourself to do it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 04:51 AM

The car is probably on consignment or something and he won't get any $$ for it, did he try to steer you in the direction of another vehicle?

I feel like the happiest land rover owners are the most educated ones; people who know what they are getting into before they buy the car.

If someone goes to a dealership trading in their Explorer, looking at a Jeep or something and a salesman sells them on a Land Rover - they will probably HATE it (eventually) because they won't use 10% of the vehicles abilities, yet will come to expect ford/jeep reliability. The components which allow the other 90% of capability are what makes the Rover less reliable, not the company. If it's not there in the first place, it can't break - gotta keep that in mind when talking reliability.

...but, if you've done your research or ever asked a "lot" out of your vehicles and needed more from them (capacity, towing, inclement weather, safety, security, comfort, etc) Land Rover offers a simply unbeatable combination. The "image" rovers have is also nice, as all over SUVs have become lame soccer mom mobiles lately (even X5s and Cayennes which used to be semi exotic) that pretty much leaves Rovers as the only clean exotic European SUVs out there on the road.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|'99 Discovery II | 177k mi. | Kinversand | 7 pas, SLS, HK|
|'06 LR3 HSE LUX | Chawton White | Cold Weather/Adaptive HL/RSE/Running Boards | '14 "blackout" LR4 tail lights, 2.5" lift rods, 20" black/machined stormers, 275/55/20 Falken Wildpeaks |
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 06:56 AM

RR Sport

We're first time owners of a RR Sport. We've had many different vehicles over the years but I've always wanted a RR.

I can honestly say that I'm psyched to get out of bed every morning to drive this car!! My wife loves it, our kids love it and it should be used the way it was intended to.....get it dirty!

Looks great in teh mud, out on a dinner date and for business......best car on teh raod! Buy it and enjoy....have fun.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
My clients who own sports have very few problems. Once they are sorted, they are great trucks.

Yes, I am still alive, and still in the Rover parts business.
Text me for greatest likelihood of finding me.

260-804-0458
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:24 AM

What do you mean specifically by "sorted"?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythomane View Post
What do you mean specifically by "sorted"?
Fixing things that were overlooked by previous owners. or that could have been dealt with under warranty but weren't due to distance to nearest dealer.

Anyone who buys a sued vehicle and doesn't accept the fat that there will be some problems to sort out is deluding themselves.

So far, the biggest issues I've seen on the Sports has been the coolant tanks that continuously show low coolant level. New tank sorted that one right out.

The L322/4.4s, they are starting to show their age and the impact of deferred maintenance. Whatever you do, don't wait more than 5000 miles between oil changes and use the correct coolant.

Yes, I am still alive, and still in the Rover parts business.
Text me for greatest likelihood of finding me.

260-804-0458
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 08:28 AM

Love It or leave it!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Sport Wannabe View Post
Hi - I am new on this site. I sold my previous car with the intention of buying a 2008 RR Sport. The salesman actually tried to talk me out of buying it, stating that they are 'maintenance nightmares'. I did a lot of research and there seems to be no middle ground... either people love them and would drive anything else, or they agree with the salesman.

Honest opinions please - buy or don't buy?????
The RRSport 2006-2009 is a very reliable truck as long as it had its services done on time. The 4.4jag V8 engine is a great reliable engine as well as the transmission. But it needs to be serviced on time. The RRS is based on the LR3 4.4jag V8. Same engine and trans, difference is the interior and the smaller body of the RRS. Make sure you get one that has records and not a supercharge 4.2. Get the regular 4.4. V8. Check the carafe and call the original LR dealer where the car was serviced and ask for its service history.
Dave

The City is a Jungle.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present Land Rovers
1999 LR Disco II SD7 White 150K miles 'The Beach Boy' (PR truck)
2005 LR3/ D3 SE 4.4 Bonatti 'Fancy Professor' (my girl's LA LR3)
2005 LR3/ D3 SE 4.4 Bonatti 'The Rhino'
(my NYC LR3)
De-tangoed Headlights, LR4 Style Grille, Dueler Alenza HL 255/55/19

Past Land Rovers
1999 LR Disco II SD Niagara Grey 'Old Rhino' 200K+ miles (Sold)
1991 Range Rover Classic Green 'The Turtle' 200K+ miles (Sold)
1988 Range Rover Classic White 'The Rust Bucket' (Sold)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 05:42 PM

Garage
I see that this post is now a few months old, so not sure if this'll be seen by the OP, but thought I'd share anyway.

I purchased a 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4L about one year ago now. I've really enjoyed it and appreciate the "luxury-ness" of it. It's a solid automobile and makes for a good ride.

A few things with respect to your question: remember that it's getting to be ~10 years since the vehicle was built. As such, there are going to be some maintenance problems of sort. As others said, regular maintenance will make a big difference. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" comes to mind. True in so many facets of life.

As for my ride, I've had to replace the alternator. It wasn't all that difficult. Took probably about ~5 man hours of work (having to previous experience). Also, I did a transmission fluid swap. That was probably ~2 hours of man hours. Saved a lot of money, of course.

Most recently I've run into air suspension problems. One day they were fine, I took it into the shop for an unrelated issue and it came back totally fubared. I have my doubts as to why. A big part of me really questions how and why it was fine one day and then taking it into them it comes back f**ked. In their defense, I did notice the prior week that bumps were feeling much more jarring, so I'm hoping that they didn't do something to it and now blaming it on me, basically. Anyway, know that the air suspension is a common problem with vehicles with... air suspension. There ARE coil mods (Atlantic British sells a kit), though, so there's that.

All said, I'd say that if you do/did buy one that's more than a few years old, there's going to, likely, be problems. But, that's common with any vehicle, really. Regularly reading the forums will give you an idea as to what's most common. If you can make the time to do the maintenance yourself, then I'd say it's probably worth it. If you take it into the mechanic/s who often gouge on the pricing of items and then throw in labor and it's probably not worth it, depending on your income of course. Hope this helps someone!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 06:40 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Or 8 years lol OP posted in 2011

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol
2007 Chawton White LR3 Proud Rhino lift rods
1983 Trident Green 110, TerraFirma suspension, and bumpers
1991 Range Rover Classic Hunter Eastnor Green

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 06:50 PM

Garage
Oh, dang.. ha, I guess I was looking at the last reply. ;p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover P38, Mk III and Range Rover Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in