Tire pressure light, vehichle fault (system shutting down), parking brake lights on - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tire pressure light, vehichle fault (system shutting down), parking brake lights on

I have a problem with my 2007 Range rover Sport (RRS) HSE. The tire pressure lights come and go off, the parking brake light is on, and I get this message "vehicle fault, system shutting down (at times when I drive; the doors would unlock, any electronic --radio, GPS-- goes dead, hazard lights come on but car continues to run and the system eventually comes back after 1-3 minutes). I took it to a RRS dealer and he said, so many faults were coming up, making it difficult to pinpoint the problem. I suspected the instrument cluster (IC) is bad (based on my reading) and the RRS dealer told me if that is the problem, a new IC needs to be made in the UK specifically for the car and the mileage. I have question, has anyone every changed an IC in the US using a used one? Is there a mechanic you would recommend around MI, IL (Chicago), MN, and WI area? The dealer told me that a used part will not work for a RRS. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Did they run a diagnostic on the system or did you just go there to pick their brain?

As far as I know you can install a used cluster but you must us a JLR Scan tool in order to write the VIN, Mileage and Service data into the IC Module. That means you'll need to find a dealer willing to do that or an independent with the JLR Tool.

The IC is intentionally hard to service to prevent scamming odometers and rolling them back and to make theft more difficult. Most vehicles are difficult to service when they have IC issues and most Euro manufacturers route a ton of modules through the IC as part of the CAN communication network.

2001 Disco II SE7
ASE Master Technician
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Hello DriverGT5,

Thanks for your response. They did a diagnostic scan and they got multiple faults (some of which the dealer said did not make sense; for example: headlamps, AC, etc). Now I have another problem. HDC fault message is on and the car would not start. Thanks

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverGT5 View Post
Did they run a diagnostic on the system or did you just go there to pick their brain?

As far as I know you can install a used cluster but you must us a JLR Scan tool in order to write the VIN, Mileage and Service data into the IC Module. That means you'll need to find a dealer willing to do that or an independent with the JLR Tool.

The IC is intentionally hard to service to prevent scamming odometers and rolling them back and to make theft more difficult. Most vehicles are difficult to service when they have IC issues and most Euro manufacturers route a ton of modules through the IC as part of the CAN communication network.
Hello DriverGT5,

Thanks for your response. The dealer did a diagnostic scan and got multiple faults (some of which he said did not make sense; for example headlamp fault, AC, etc). Now, I have another problem. HDC fault message is on and the car would not start. Thanks

Ebbie
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbie View Post
Hello DriverGT5,

Thanks for your response. The dealer did a diagnostic scan and got multiple faults (some of which he said did not make sense; for example headlamp fault, AC, etc). Now, I have another problem. HDC fault message is on and the car would not start. Thanks

Ebbie
Alright, so by diagnostic scan I assume they pulled codes but did not run any diagnostic tests.... is that correct?

Testing usually takes a few hours, involved multiple steps and usually costs a couple hundred bucks. Scanning is a 10 minute job and gives you a starting point but really is of very little help.

A valid starting point is the document the plethora of diagnostic trouble codes, clear them all and see which ones come back in a few days or the next time the fault is present. That will tell you what to focus on and what codes are side effects or unrelated. Usually the primary fault will show up first or very shortly after.

If they ran tests and charged you a few hundred bucks the burden is on them to find a correction that will repair at least some of the issues present.

Maybe I missed the "no start" issue but can you describe it more? Does the key turn? Does the engine crank over? Do you hear just clicking?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverGT5 View Post
Alright, so by diagnostic scan I assume they pulled codes but did not run any diagnostic tests.... is that correct?

Testing usually takes a few hours, involved multiple steps and usually costs a couple hundred bucks. Scanning is a 10 minute job and gives you a starting point but really is of very little help.

A valid starting point is the document the plethora of diagnostic trouble codes, clear them all and see which ones come back in a few days or the next time the fault is present. That will tell you what to focus on and what codes are side effects or unrelated. Usually the primary fault will show up first or very shortly after.

If they ran tests and charged you a few hundred bucks the burden is on them to find a correction that will repair at least some of the issues present.

Maybe I missed the "no start" issue but can you describe it more? Does the key turn? Does the engine crank over? Do you hear just clicking?
Hello DriverGT5,

Thanks again for the information. You are correct, the scan was just 10 minutes. They did not invest a lot of time to find out what the problem could be (they did not charge for the scan). I plan to take it next week to mechanic that specializes (that is what they say) in range rover for full diagnosis/trouble-shooting.

With regards to the "car does not start", yes the key turns. All I heard was a click. Last month a brand new RRS recommended interstate battery was installed. So, I don't think it is a battery problem. The starter was also checked and confirmed to be in good condition. I am not sure what caused the car not to start last week but it started the next day. I haven't driven it since then because I am afraid it may abandon me some where. I plan to take it to a garage in Minneapolis next week. Thanks again for your concern.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Does this sound like a bad alternator to anyone?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:06 PM
very disco

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
this is also happening to my 06 RRS that i'm fixing up. medium speed can bus going down, system shut down and no-start, with hazards flashing.

TONS of codes all over the place, from every computer on the car, including but not limited to:

LOST COMMUNICATION WITH XXXX
IMPLAUSIBLE DATA FROM XXXX
SOMETHING TOO HIGH
SAME THING TOO LOW

i received codes similar to this from every computer in the truck. when i key the ignition on, i immediately get the HDC fault, sometimes an EPB fault (despite it working fine), and when the truck is starting, i'll get suspension errors too IMMEDIATELY after the compressor fires.

all of my studies have led me to believe that either a computer is on the fritz, or the (semi-common, outlined online) instrument cluster is loose or the socket needs repair.
i plan to pull it tomorrow and inspect.

i have a brand new, top line battery
i have replaced brake switch
i have replaced brake lamps

2003 Disco 2 SE7 - going to be buried in it
2006 RR Sport HSE - project
1997 Disco SE - SOLD
2003 Disco 2 SE7 - SOLD
1995 Disco SE - SOLD
2001 Disco 2 SE - SOLD
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendALC View Post
this is also happening to my 06 RRS that i'm fixing up. medium speed can bus going down, system shut down and no-start, with hazards flashing.

TONS of codes all over the place, from every computer on the car, including but not limited to:

LOST COMMUNICATION WITH XXXX
IMPLAUSIBLE DATA FROM XXXX
SOMETHING TOO HIGH
SAME THING TOO LOW

i received codes similar to this from every computer in the truck. when i key the ignition on, i immediately get the HDC fault, sometimes an EPB fault (despite it working fine), and when the truck is starting, i'll get suspension errors too IMMEDIATELY after the compressor fires.

all of my studies have led me to believe that either a computer is on the fritz, or the (semi-common, outlined online) instrument cluster is loose or the socket needs repair.
i plan to pull it tomorrow and inspect.

i have a brand new, top line battery
i have replaced brake switch
i have replaced brake lamps
reverendALC,

Let me know what you find out. Thanks
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:35 PM
very disco

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
So I pulled out my IC, and the truck starts. It’ll still go into crash mode, but with some random fussing with the IC it’ll come back on.

I cleared the codes in all 15 ECUs (well I tried) but two or three of them won’t clear. It says “failed.”

I don’t think that’s the entirety of my problem, but it definitely seems related.

I pulled 41 codes from the 15 ECUs, and sooo many of them were “lost comm with IC”

2003 Disco 2 SE7 - going to be buried in it
2006 RR Sport HSE - project
1997 Disco SE - SOLD
2003 Disco 2 SE7 - SOLD
1995 Disco SE - SOLD
2001 Disco 2 SE - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover P38, Mk III and Range Rover Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in