01 Discovery 2 engine noise. Lifters vs slipped sleeve? - Page 2 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def110 View Post
Thanks for the info here guys, Looks like it's probably too much to tell. Sounds like he got quoted an obscene about to replace the engine or top hat gasket the engine.
Sounds like most shops won't pin a head if that is the issue.
I guess my only other question is if it is a slipped cylinder sleeve, how long can it be driven like that? He's already gone 6 months on there with no side effects other than an annoying knock at idle.
Most shops will not “pin a head “ because it would likely only be a bandaid on a gunshot wound and more than likely would come back to bite them in some way either financially or reputationally (not sure if that’s even a real word)
If the liner is leaking-it’s leaking PERIOD.
If its not it’s not AND if it’s not then don’t worry about it 😉.
Liners distort and move (usually due to the engine being overheated) BUT they will not and do not “rattle and jump up and down in the block.

Unfortunately no such thing as a “Top Hat gasket” . If you have a “slipped /leaking liner you can fix it and the proper fix would be a rebuild with flanged and O ringed (Top Hat) liners or another engine. Both would be $10,000 plus to have a shop performing the work.
Get a good understanding of running temperature of the truck (as previously recommended by a number of members) and keep it below 200f.
The “piston slap” thing (if that’s what it is) will likely be reduced with proper temperature control,
I have read of people momentarily stopping it be quenching the block (for test purposes).
I agree the flywheel and exhaust leak are possible causes, but unlikely IMO.

Happy Happy Happy

2002 D2 se7 6 seater . complete engine rebuild with flanged liners , 2 inch lift, terrafirma shocks, LT 275/65r18 Cooper stt tires, d1 modified front bumper, safety devices rack, 30" l.e.d. Light bar
2004 D2 se5 (sold)
2001 D2 se5 (parts truck)
2000 D2 se7 (retired)
1997 D1 (sold)
1957 Series 1 88" future projet
2006 Suburu legacy outback (gets me around when the disco is not)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quick update here...
Oil level is past the full line on the dipstick... May have been a little over filled.
Plan is to drain some off to reasonable levels and run some marvel mystery in the oil for a few days. Then I plan to do an oil change, seafoam spray the engine, coolant flush (unrelated but also needs it), and see where the knocking is from there.
The knocking is not very loud like a slipped sleeve is described to be, hoping we can help quiet the engine down with this. If it doesn’t work things will be coming apart.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariDave View Post
How many miles on the engine?
Try Rotella 15W40 oil see if that helps with the noise.
Dave
I've heard of Disco guys running this stuff.
Anyone have any input on why this is useful? Why do these engines like diesel oil?
Also quite a few types, any recommendations on which type to use?

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Garage
Hi mileage engines with loose tolerances sometimes need help keeping adequate oil pressure.
It’s more of a bandaid on a questionable engine (or oil pump). A good engine doesn’t need or “like 15w40”.
A good engine should be just fine on 5w30.
Oil is graded on viscosity / thickness, cold (first number) and hot (second number) 0w20,5w20, 5w30, 5w40, 10 w30, 15w40, 20w50
15w40 is not necessarily a “ Diesel oil “ just commonly used in Diesel engines,

Happy Happy Happy

2002 D2 se7 6 seater . complete engine rebuild with flanged liners , 2 inch lift, terrafirma shocks, LT 275/65r18 Cooper stt tires, d1 modified front bumper, safety devices rack, 30" l.e.d. Light bar
2004 D2 se5 (sold)
2001 D2 se5 (parts truck)
2000 D2 se7 (retired)
1997 D1 (sold)
1957 Series 1 88" future projet
2006 Suburu legacy outback (gets me around when the disco is not)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
That sounds like a slightly less noisy version of my range Rover classic...tappet noise like crazy. Never replaced lifters but then again it's been sitting for 8yrs

IMO lifters as well, so many threads on what to throw in there to clean it up. I feel like everyone just needs to adopt the habit of occasionally picking up separate parts of an engine and just assemble a spare engine to replace these bad boys haha
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoBenny View Post
That sounds like a slightly less noisy version of my range Rover classic...tappet noise like crazy. Never replaced lifters but then again it's been sitting for 8yrs

IMO lifters as well, so many threads on what to throw in there to clean it up. I feel like everyone just needs to adopt the habit of occasionally picking up separate parts of an engine and just assemble a spare engine to replace these bad boys haha
LOL - I've been contemplating doing such myself - though not spare parts. I'm still throwing around the idea of getting a used motor with some miles on it and start breaking it down and rebuilding it. It'd take me a year to do considering the words 'spare' vs $$$ etc., but when my current motor finally drops a headstone on itself, it'd be nice to have something ready to go.
SafariDave likes this.

Michael
'01 LR Disco II SE7

R.I.P. - 99 LR Disco Series II

For Used RRC Parts: Paul Grant [
]
For Used Disco Parts: Abran Abeyta [
]
For New Parts: British Parts of Utah or Atlantic British [most will price match Lucky8]
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Exactly haha! Everything else is just band-aiding it seems til something major like a sleeve or a head gasket go....might as well have a plug and play motor already good to go!
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 2 disco 2s . It’s not the lifters. Replace the rocker shafts and rockers. I replaced set of lifters after checking cam for wear etc. even pulled toning cover to check for cracked pump gears. Engine internals v clean,
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Jet - did you finish your comment?
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

I hope Jet is ok.... Looks like he left in the middle of that comment. Haha. Would love to get some more info and input from him on that.

Anyone else with input on rocker shaft and rockers?
All new kit left and right or just the rockers?
Any way to tell before replacing if this is the cause?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in