Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

'02 D2 SE Transmission question

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Disco Mike 
#1 ·
I am wondering why my transmission shifts up at odd intervals. It seems that the 3rd to 4th gear change is in quick succession...like a double shift. I've know that autotrans with dirty fluid, etc. can having sloppy shifting...then when you change the fluid...it acts better.?!

Suggestions?

#5 ·
Idk if I would call what he describes as normal operation. Maybe for this vehicle.? My 04 does it. It also doesn't kick down unless alot of throttle is applied.

I talked about it here and other threads but never really got a good answer. In one discussion someone mentioned reprogramming. Can't remember where

http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f40/throttle-position-reading-scan-tool-53424/

I checked MAF, Cables and flushed tranny couple times since purchase.

#6 ·
I'm not saying his problem is normal. I'm saying that a torque converter locking up is normal, and therefore the converter locking up wouldn't throw a code.

#7 ·
How amny miles on the truck, when did you last change the ATF and do you have a check engine light if so what are the fault code numbers?

#9 ·
Then if there is any question as to the tranny, start with a fluid change, no filter at this mileage.
I would suggest you send me your number and I'll walk you thru what and how to do it.

#10 ·
That would be great, but I live in Canada near Toronto. That might add up...
I have a downloded version of the Land Rover Shop manual. It pretty much covers everything as far I can see. I understand that there is no dipstick with this trans. (I find that odd.) So, it says I have to check levels by removing a bolt while the engine's idling. Top it off, etc.

Draining is pretty simple too...

I guess I have to "pump" the ATF fluid in in this case?!

#11 ·
I have free long distance if you need help, and you will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.