A 2nd. Must Read for Any and All Valve train noise - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
A 2nd. Must Read for Any and All Valve train noise

TimeBus from the Land Rover Forum, posted this thread today and I and borrowing it from him so you can all read this.
RPi Engineering - V8 Engines

Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need Parts?

or call 203-770-1699

or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8,

British Parts of Utah,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 11:07 AM
2004 Discovery SE7

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mike, this links to the same article as your first MUST Read For Anyone About to Repair a Head Gaskets or a Valve Train Noise. Or am i missing something?

Jeff

1999 Discovery D2
2004 Discovery SE7
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 03:02 PM

Buy some small block Buick lifters to start with on a rebuild. Specify oil through push rod or no metered oiling . Get a dial indicator and measure total deflection with NO oil in the lifter. This can be done on the top of the rocker arm. From the top of the retainer clip I go down .030 to minimize lifter pump up at high RPM's.

A better alternative is a shaft mount system that is adjustable I engineered. Buying new shaft assemblies on a rebuild is not cost effective if you are at that point. I have seen unacceptable wear and clogged oil passages on the shaft mount where oil is fed through.

This is simple mechanics 101.

MAK

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 11:24 AM

orpoon

orpoon best of luck for this new member
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 08:43 PM

It's almost as if I've seen this somewhere before.

Like, the sticky directly below this one.

http://www.landroversonly.com/forums...40/#post375358

Hamal T.

1994 Range Rover County LWB - Sold for Parts

1999 Disco II, 98k, Stock
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6E - Summer ride to work.
1994 Ford Taurus SHO - Modded Q Ship.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in