Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealant problem - Page 3 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 07:56 AM
Beach Bum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yea I just don't know. I read on another forum a guy used it in his DI and got 50K+ out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
I just spoke to the guys at BD again and I told him my leak was like less than a cup every 2 weeks they said to use just 16oz, but it can be reaplied if needed. Maybe 1/4 from 16oz is to little.

The City is a Jungle.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present Land Rovers
1999 LR Disco II SD7 White 150K miles 'The Beach Boy' (PR truck)
2005 LR3/ D3 SE 4.4 Bonatti 'Fancy Professor' (my wife's LA LR3)
2005 LR3/ D3 SE 4.4 Bonatti 'The Rhino'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(my NYC LR3)
De-tangoed Headlights, LR4 Style Grille, Dueler Alenza HL 255/55/19

Past Land Rovers
1999 LR Disco II SD Niagara Grey 'Old Rhino' 200K+ miles (Sold)
1991 Range Rover Classic Green 'The Turtle' 200K+ miles (Sold)
1988 Range Rover Classic White 'The Rust Bucket' (Sold)
post #33 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariDave View Post
I've researched the web to find that various car companies use liquid seal products as a preventive mesure for coolant leaks, GM is a big example they use Barr leaks.
For a while GM was putting leak stop tabs in some vehicles as a half assed solution to a big [email protected] up. When they actually fixed the problem they stopped using the tablets.

If I had a beater that I wanted to keep alive for as long as possible or an engine I knew I was going to replace I would have no problems using these "liquid glass" products. If I knew I was going to fix the problem and was keeping the engine I would use a milder product like prestone's leak stopper that you can actually flush out when you want to. The stop leak tablets are fine too.

2002 DII 114,000 miles

post #34 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Beach Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipadj46 View Post
For a while GM was putting leak stop tabs in some vehicles as a half assed solution to a big [email protected] up. When they actually fixed the problem they stopped using the tablets.

If I had a beater that I wanted to keep alive for as long as possible or an engine I knew I was going to replace I would have no problems using these "liquid glass" products. If I knew I was going to fix the problem and was keeping the engine I would use a milder product like prestone's leak stopper that you can actually flush out when you want to. The stop leak tablets are fine too.
I read elsewehre the tabs were bad news bear.

Add: maybe I saw some tabs have particles and that's what you want to aviod.
post #35 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Former LR tech, Albany NY

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
flushing doesn't work. Tried it after a guy put the stuff in and it crystralized the hoses and the radiator and still overheated.

I used to work on Rovers. Got a question just ask, need a Rover looked at, Albany, New York.
post #36 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 04:43 PM

I guess the question is which product they used and did they follow the instructions.

Bar's Leaks for GM

http://paceperformance.com/ProductIm...es/3634621.gif

The City is a Jungle.

Present Land Rovers
(my NYC LR3)

Past Land Rovers
post #37 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

So, after two days of driving to work (luckily only 4 miles each way) the Disco is consistent. It now overheats every time. I guess that on the weekend I'll flush more and more.

btw - I talked to a guy at Universal Products. They claim that it does say on the bottle to remove the thermostat. Well, it doesn't say so on the BlueDevil bottle (product #38386) which I bought.

2001 Discovery SE7, 130K miles - RIP
post #38 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 05:04 PM

U said you used the Yellow lable right. These are the instructions I found on their site for the yellow lable click on directions.
Take pic of lable behind the bottle and put it up here let's see what the directions on it say.
https://www.gouniversalproducts.com/...t-Sealant.html

find some stronger flushing stuff and reflush or maybe there is still air in the system. Before you drive it in the morning look at the expansion tank while it's cold and see if the coolant is on the line on the expansion tank not above it or below it.

The City is a Jungle.

Present Land Rovers
(my NYC LR3)

Past Land Rovers
post #39 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

SafariDave, The pictures of the label on the bottle are rather large (1.6MB), so too large to post. PM me with your email address and I'll send the pictures like that.

btw - flushed the system some more this weekend, found a lot of "stuff" on the thermostat. Disco is still overheating...

post #40 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Beach Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by imag View Post
SafariDave, The pictures of the label on the bottle are rather large (1.6MB), so too large to post. PM me with your email address and I'll send the pictures like that.

btw - flushed the system some more this weekend, found a lot of "stuff" on the thermostat. Disco is still overheating...
When was the last time you changed your coolant before now? Post a picture of this 'stuff'.
post #41 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 07:01 PM

Replace your thermostat.

The City is a Jungle.

Present Land Rovers
(my NYC LR3)

Past Land Rovers
post #42 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

okay, got software to resize the jpg's.

The pictures show the BlueDevil bottle label - front & back.

The picture with the thermostat shows the "stuff" that was deposited in it. The thermostat itself is new - about 3 weeks old. I tested it with hot water - it works fine.

My cooling liquid was changed during the last 2 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sLRD 016.jpg
Views:	1423
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	24932   Click image for larger version

Name:	sLRD 020.jpg
Views:	1115
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	24933   Click image for larger version

Name:	sLRD 022.jpg
Views:	1031
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	24934  

post #43 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:43 PM

You are right! i'ts not on the lable. Call them and complain and have then look at your topic on our forum. Also have them refund the money for the Thermostat and the bottle plus for the flushing. It sucks that it happened this way maybe there is stuff stuck in the pre heater throtle body also. The thermostat looks like shit. Get a new one anyway. Disconect all the cooling hoses & flush them out. Also disconect hoses to heater core and loop it back to pipe to engine & check if this this helps with the over heating. Ask them why the yellow lable does not say to take off thermostat like on the website.

The City is a Jungle.

Present Land Rovers
(my NYC LR3)

Past Land Rovers
post #44 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Beach Bum

Yea, that's not good. I bet the white label is safe for the thermostat but not the yellow label. The new bars head gasket fix instructs to pour in directly into the top radiator hose thus bypassing the thermostat. Looking at it now it's easy to tell if that stuff made it's way to the leak it would seal it up. Very interesting picture.

Add: I would have only started with 1/4 bottle and wait and see. That's just me. Also, guys over at rangerover.net seemed to have luck with the new (as of November 2009) Bars Head gasket fix. Much different than the bars head gasket repair.

What happened is the stuff got in your thermostat and reached the crystallization stage of 220 degrees, it should be doing that in your bock or radiator. Where ever you have the leak. The whole bottle is for someone trying to seal a massive smoke out the exhaust internal HG leak, again, I would use much less for our small external leaks. Good info though.
post #45 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 10:58 AM

Thumbs up Blue Devil

First of all, I have a '99 Discovery. My vehicle is starting to blow out a lot of white smoke.

I was a little skeptical on trying one of these "Head Gasket Stop Leak" products because it seemed too good to be true. I ended up going over to Advance Auto to ask about which product would be the best for my situation. He recommended that I use the Blue Devil.

I applied it about a week ago and my vehicle is 100 times better. I am amazed as to how much this has improved everything. I would recommend this product to everyone!!
Doug Higby likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in