Cdl Kit Install Instructions - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cdl Kit Install Instructions

Hello All,

You no longer have to email me for this. Enjoy!

Rover Tech - Land Rover Club V.I.

~Josh

2003 Discovery S (64k miles)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods: Oil Pressure Gauge, ScanGaugeII, CDL, Electric CDL Actuator, RoverRacks Rear ladder, Limb Risers, ToddCo Front Drive Shaft, DI Wiper Arms, G4 Upper Rear Lamp Guards, No Amigos since 11/09

Coming soon:
Install Greg Davis rear bumper, Replace 4 ball joints, Replace belt tensioners and pulleys.

For the future:
.... wait and see....

Last edited by jycsalas; 10-12-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks! I think I'll be needing this soon.

(Can we still email you for it anyway? )
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 01:34 PM
got mud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison View Post
Thanks! I think I'll be needing this soon.

(Can we still email you for it anyway? )

Of course!!

lol

Pete
2003 DII CDL equipped
33" Destination M/Ts

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Rover View Post
Of course!!

lol
Of course and as an additional bonus I will include my write-up on installing muffler bearings and a flux capacitor.

~Josh

Mods: Oil Pressure Gauge, ScanGaugeII, CDL, Electric CDL Actuator, RoverRacks Rear ladder, Limb Risers, ToddCo Front Drive Shaft, DI Wiper Arms, G4 Upper Rear Lamp Guards, No Amigos since 11/09

Coming soon:
Install Greg Davis rear bumper, Replace 4 ball joints, Replace belt tensioners and pulleys.

For the future:
.... wait and see....
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Topherhales

What about blinkerfliud ha mines low
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topherhales View Post
What about blinkerfliud ha mines low
I haven't done a write-up for that. That job is way over my head!

~Josh

Coming soon:

For the future:
.... wait and see....
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Topherhales

That was an old joke with my high school friends along with rebuilding your dip stick, hard work, cost a lot, we did not work at a shop or anything, just thought it was funny when friends asked what was wrong with there car! Especially girls! Cdl lock I need tho bad!
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 08:25 PM
Topherhales

I'll be doing my cdl lock as soon as the misses ok's it but really I've been surprised how well it does open I've had opposite wheels off the ground onsome steep stuff, which my buddies built pathfinder and a couple others had to totally just back off and gun it! A few timesto get up! Rovers make everything look so smooth! Trac control does what it says I guess, still wanna up grade tho, course!
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'll be doing my cdl lock as soon as the misses ok's it but really I've been surprised how well it does open I've had opposite wheels off the ground onsome steep stuff, which my buddies built pathfinder and a couple others had to totally just back off and gun it! A few timesto get up! Rovers make everything look so smooth! Trac control does what it says I guess, still wanna up grade tho, course!
I think that after rebuilding the front drive shaft, then bringing your rig up to maintenance, the CDL is the most important and FIRST true mod a DII owner should do. My traction control worked great in many situations but having CDL now helps out much better and TC comes on very rarely. I'm glad I did it and IMHO Land Rover was WAY wrong to omit CDL thinking that their TC system would be just as great....its good, but it will never replace CDL.

Good Luck, and if you have any questions, post them on the thread so we can help out others.

josh

~Josh

Coming soon:

For the future:
.... wait and see....
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Topherhales

ya how suprised was I when the day after I bought it I put it low to show my wife what happenes when locked and turn a circle and nothing no hop, no scrubbing! I thought I had just bought a glorified subaru! ya - then checked into and seems like a cake job, thanks for the info, all be checking the post when Its time to get busy on it. around how much does it cost, I think I have seen a couple different way to do it, Disco linkage solinoid.... oh and you mentioned the front shaft, was that down-rated with out the CDL's or do they just have issues?
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
ya how suprised was I when the day after I bought it I put it low to show my wife what happenes when locked and turn a circle and nothing no hop, no scrubbing! I thought I had just bought a glorified subaru! ya - then checked into and seems like a cake job, thanks for the info, all be checking the post when Its time to get busy on it. around how much does it cost, I think I have seen a couple different way to do it, Disco linkage solinoid.... oh and you mentioned the front shaft, was that down-rated with out the CDL's or do they just have issues?
Do a search for front drive shaft. Basically 2 of the 3 ujoints are not servicable and when they go out your front drive shaft breaks (where its connected at the t-case) and takes out your transmission. No joke...get that taken care of asap!

~Josh

Coming soon:

For the future:
.... wait and see....
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 08:37 PM

Front Propeller Shaft

U joint at transfer case almost shredded on wife, her ride. 65K 99 D2 V8 Auto. This truck has been always on paved roads only. My ? took the Front Propeller Shaft off. Thing will not budge an inch forward or reverse with only Rear Propeller Shaft, think we tried all gears etc. Why would the two wheel rear not engage?
Thanks if you can offer insight.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Hi there!

Since this question does not relate to installing CDL on a DII, I have answered it in it's own thread.

MARS D2 99 V8 ** Front propeller shaft**

Thanks

~Josh

Coming soon:

For the future:
.... wait and see....
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 12:42 AM

I have been reading this write-up:

www.discovery2.co.uk/Factory Diff Lock

I have verified that my 2001 D2 is a 01/01 build, and I crawled underneath, and found the diff lock nipple on the trans. I keep hearing "You just use the factory diff lock cable/shifter", with out any further explaination. Does this mean that I can just use the stock shifter cable/shifter from a D1, or do I have to find the '04 diff lock cable/shifter?

I'd rather not rip apart my daily driver untill I have all the correct parts on hand. I work at a custom car shop, and have no problem doing the work, just want to get started with all the right parts.

I am an avid off-roader, but don't really plan on doing any serious wheeling with this rig, but still, to know that the diff lock option is on the truck, and not hooked up is just killing me.

I need a gray passenger side front seatbelt for a 2001 Discovery, The main belt/retractor part that mounts at the base of the B-pillar. Let me know if you have one, and how much you want for it, thanks!
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

A few options with CDL LEVER/Actuators for DII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Monty View Post
I have been reading this write-up:

www.discovery2.co.uk/Factory Diff Lock

I have verified that my 2001 D2 is a 01/01 build, and I crawled underneath, and found the diff lock nipple on the trans. I keep hearing "You just use the factory diff lock cable/shifter", with out any further explaination. Does this mean that I can just use the stock shifter cable/shifter from a D1, or do I have to find the '04 diff lock cable/shifter?

I'd rather not rip apart my daily driver untill I have all the correct parts on hand. I work at a custom car shop, and have no problem doing the work, just want to get started with all the right parts.

I am an avid off-roader, but don't really plan on doing any serious wheeling with this rig, but still, to know that the diff lock option is on the truck, and not hooked up is just killing me.

You can get a stock 04 Shifter

2004 Discovery II Transfer Case Shifter

You can get a DI shifter

Land Rover Discovery LT 230 Diff Lock Shifter
Please see this thread for more info on a DI to DII swap
http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f40/cdl-32441/

You can get this kit from lucky8llc that seems to be a well made adaptation to work like a stock 04 Shifter

Lucky 8 Products

and finally the electric solenoid actuator

Series II Diff Lock

Disco Mike and I have this as well as some others. It basically is a switch controlled window motor anchored and secured to a custom base that fits over the nipple.

I don't think any one is better than the other. If you are traveling through the middle of Africa for months and don't have a spare relay or window motor than maybe the AMV solenoid will be another thing to think about during the trip. Only issue I have heard has been a relay going bad.

~Josh

Coming soon:

For the future:
.... wait and see....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in