Cdl Kit Install Instructions - Page 2 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the shifter

I am confused how is the shifter suppose to work and how do you know what type you have I have 2000 disco the shifter to me looks as if it is to go up and down is suppose to go sideways to? according to the picture diagram that is on the console?

Bless the Military, Border Patrol, and Lawenforcment and family's that support them. They protect us while we sleep and express our freedoms as US citizens.

We are free because we have the second amendment once this is gone we will have none, make and impact get involved with you towns political views.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 09:26 PM

it need to go sideways to actuate the CDL. Yours does not go sideways so you change it out for one that does.

This site sucks balls.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 09:20 AM

so can you be more specific I have the sticker in front of it I moved it today and it goes to the middle if Im moving it forward and backward the middle is as far as it will travel I looked at the plate under it and it appears on to go forward and backward is this the case?

Bless the Military, Border Patrol, and Lawenforcment and family's that support them. They protect us while we sleep and express our freedoms as US citizens.

We are free because we have the second amendment once this is gone we will have none, make and impact get involved with you towns political views.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 01:09 PM

It should have 3 positions front to back. The furthest forward is Low range. The middle is neutral and the furthest back is High range. If you try to move it side to side, it won't move.

If you have a CDL in your truck (since its an'00, you probably have one) and want to actuate it, you can use a shifter out of a D1 or out of an 04 D2 (which is very similar to Ashcroft's linkage that Lucky8 sells) or an electric actuator. The 04 linkage uses a cable to actuate the CDL. The D1 linkage is actually a linkage, not cable.

You move the handle side to side to actuate the CDL. To the left is CDL locked/on. To the right is CDL unlocked/off.

Your shifter is centered side to side, you can't actuate the CDL but have one.

This site sucks balls.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
if your shifter looks like this in its normal position then you can't move it side ways to lock the t-case.

But you may have the CDL guts inside your t-case so you only need to add the shifter

if so, you can crawl under your truck and turn the "nipple" in the direction shown with a 12mm wrench.

If you dont have the nipple, (like me) you have to add the "guts"

~Josh

2003 Discovery S (64k miles)

Mods: Oil Pressure Gauge, ScanGaugeII, CDL, Electric CDL Actuator, RoverRacks Rear ladder, Limb Risers, ToddCo Front Drive Shaft, DI Wiper Arms, G4 Upper Rear Lamp Guards, No Amigos since 11/09

Coming soon:
Install Greg Davis rear bumper, Replace 4 ball joints, Replace belt tensioners and pulleys.

For the future:
.... wait and see....
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 08:50 PM

jycsalas,
I have the same setup as you have depicted in the snap shots. I havent looked underneath yet been busy I will look first thing tomorrow and let you all know. I had trouble this weekend I was in the coronado national forest in Az and got stuck my front two wheels were the only thing spinning and my shifter woundnt go into to low. I also had the TC light lit and the mode switch wouldnt go into Manual any ideas? The mode switch went into sport but I did try the stationary in low and also the drive at around 5mph nothing worked. I had to be pulled over the rock by my friends jeep heres the web site no laughing good time tho friends and familyhttp://www.firstchristianatsv.org/tp40/default.asp?ID=10101

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323jamie View Post
jycsalas,
I have the same setup as you have depicted in the snap shots. I havent looked underneath yet been busy I will look first thing tomorrow and let you all know. I had trouble this weekend I was in the coronado national forest in Az and got stuck my front two wheels were the only thing spinning and my shifter woundnt go into to low. I also had the TC light lit and the mode switch wouldnt go into Manual any ideas? The mode switch went into sport but I did try the stationary in low and also the drive at around 5mph nothing worked. I had to be pulled over the rock by my friends jeep heres the web site no laughing good time tho friends and familyhttp://www.firstchristianatsv.org/tp40/default.asp?ID=10101

Since you can't lock your transfer, it acted like an "open differential" and so power went to the axle(s) with the least resistance which were your front wheels. Your traction control would have kicked in at some point braking the front wheels from spinning and allowing power to the rear possibly getting you unstuck. However, by the time TC would have kicked in, you would have probably dug your self in deeper up front and would have been reving your motor high for a bit.

If you had CDL and locked your transfer case, you would have had equal power going to the front and rear axles and perhaps not had a single issue.

When locked, 50% power will go to your rear axle and the other 50% to the front. Then that 50% will be split (not evenly) to each wheel depending on TC and terrain.

What you experienced was 100% power to your front axle and that 100% got split between the two wheels...maybe 50/50, maybe not.

Also when you are off road and you think you may have the slightest chance at getting stuck, get into Low range BEFORE. Or make sure you can shift without issue... also leave the gear selector in D. Not 1st. the transmission will decide what gear you need thus allowing TC to kick in better/sooner.

GET CDL!!!!

~Josh

Mods: Oil Pressure Gauge, ScanGaugeII, CDL, Electric CDL Actuator, RoverRacks Rear ladder, Limb Risers, ToddCo Front Drive Shaft, DI Wiper Arms, G4 Upper Rear Lamp Guards, No Amigos since 11/09

Coming soon:
Install Greg Davis rear bumper, Replace 4 ball joints, Replace belt tensioners and pulleys.

For the future:
.... wait and see....
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 07:25 PM

I thank you for your advice and explanation of what had happened. I have been offroading before and also deployed to places that road maitenance wasnt a priority. I will take the shift plate off and look on the transfer case and see what the deal. I will post and keep up on whats up.

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323jamie View Post
I thank you for your advice and explanation of what had happened. I have been offroading before and also deployed to places that road maitenance wasnt a priority. I will take the shift plate off and look on the transfer case and see what the deal. I will post and keep up on whats up.
You don't have to remove the shift plate to view the t-case as in the picture. I did because the plate was removed while I was installing the CDL. You can simply crawl underneath your truck and feel for the nipple.

~Josh

Coming soon:

For the future:
.... wait and see....
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 11:25 AM

I have a 2000 disco, so mine should have the "nipple" on the transfer case, right? Getting ready for my first real off roading in the rover. Just to make sure I understand everything correctly, adding this shifter or switch would be the same and crawling under the truck and turning the bold to lock the differential, just a lot less trouble. I want to install the new shifter, but if I am going this weekend, would crawling under the car work for now?
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningmichaelb View Post
I have a 2000 disco, so mine should have the "nipple" on the transfer case, right? Getting ready for my first real off roading in the rover. Just to make sure I understand everything correctly, adding this shifter or switch would be the same and crawling under the truck and turning the bold to lock the differential, just a lot less trouble. I want to install the new shifter, but if I am going this weekend, would crawling under the car work for now?
That is correct just get under it and turn it like in the picture. But practice doing it 1st while its cold as it will be very hot when doing it on the trail. practice your arm positioning

~Josh

Coming soon:

For the future:
.... wait and see....
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:09 AM

so I crawled under the truck, I think that I did everything correctly, good tip about trying it before hand, it will be tough with everything hot down there. Is there anyway that I can tell that it is engaged? of disengaged? I have a 2000 d2, thanks
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

once you engage it you will see this light come on.

and an audible tone. When it turns off you will hear the tone again and the light will extinguish

~Josh

Coming soon:

For the future:
.... wait and see....
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 08:52 AM

ok, that light did not come on for mine, guess I will try again, when I turn the the battery on, and all the lights on the dash light up, I should see that light right? I do not see it
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Umm... It won't come on exactly after you turn the "nipple". You have to drive a couple feet forward or reverse. IF ..... and I say IF you have a DIff lock switch connected...

the switch is visible here ) look above the "2009" of the picture time/date

~Josh

Coming soon:

For the future:
.... wait and see....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in