Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Cooling system flush

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  sobieski 
#1 ·
So after extensive research on the interweb, reading forums, YouTube videos and the RAVE Land Rover manual, I decided to take the plunge and change my coolant this last Friday despite the nightmares of air pockets, gurgling heater cores and non-OEM thermostats. I have a 2004 Discovery G4 with 48,000 miles on it. Not sure if the coolant had been changed as it had the orange stuff in it.

I did start by installing a Scangauge2 so I would have a temperature baseline which was 204 F. I also purchased a genuine Land Rover PEL500110 soft spring 180 F thermostat (Amazon) and a lower radiator hose (AutoZone). I chose Peak Long Life coolant as it says it will mix with anything and I've had good luck with it in all my other cars.

I pulled the hoses off the thermostat and let it drain and then pulled the lower radiator hose. I had a real aversion to trying to pull the block drain plugs as steel plugs that's been in aluminum for 15 years didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Instead I rotated the top radiator hose that goes into the thermostat 180 degrees so it was a good 10 inches above the engine. I filled the holding tank and then poured water in the upper hose until the radiator and the bundle of snakes hose ran clean water. That took about 5 gallons of distilled water.

I installed the new lower hose and thermostat and added the full strength coolant, carefully following the RAVE refill instructions. Since it holds approximately 4 gallons according to the owners manual I figured I could add up to 2 gallons of coolant for a 50/50 mixture. After 2 cycles I've got about 1.75 gallons of coolant in and floating the -40 F ball in the antifreeze tester.

Now I'm at 188 F base line and haven't seen over 194 F. Hope this is helpful or at least entertaining. :beer:

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like a success story and definitely good news for your G4
Job well done ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.