Crank no start, NOT the CPS - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Crank no start, NOT the CPS

Started 03 with weak battery, but she never seemed to mind, one revolution starter everytime. Filled up gas, didn't shut off, drove 50mi, jumped another auto, drove another 37mi, shut off, go in store, no start, just crank. Only fuse 20 was blown and replaced, swapped around fuel and ignition relays, new CPS, even though the old and new test the same, 900 ohms on LEFT 2 pins as you look at the pins with the plug notch or bump down, another forum says the right 2 pins, someone needs to fix that, tried starting fluid, never a single pop through all of this, cycled my key which is a screwdriver, but has been for months, cycled the door locks with the dash button as I never had door keys, driver's lock doesn't work at all but always been that way. I'm working 100 mi away from home in the store parking lot, hope I don't get towed away, I'm bussing around, it's not been fun. Used a random plug to see if I have spark, guy I asked to watch said I didn't. I need help please!!! There's 2 coils, so both shouldn't fail. Is it the distributor, idm, something wrong with my screwdriver ignition like security, if so how do I test? Need some ideas as towing is expensive. Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

The key/screwdriver cycling I did after the door locks. This was my last idea and now that weird noise that she made once the key was in on position is no longer happening as normal. It's the noise that should like it is coming from just to the passenger side of dash, like behind the clock of something, no idea what the 1 second noise was, but it was always there upon key on.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

I was grateful the battery was still able to crank motor for so many times, surprised. It finally gave out. I jumped, cranked faster than ever...timing chain. Parts will be here soon, going to tackle in a grocery store parking lot.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 01:29 AM
Expert Crate Digger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
What brand name of CPS did you buy? I hope it was a Bosch brand. A Duralast will eventually crap out on you. Been there, done that twice with a sh*tty Duralast.

That buzzing sound is from your IAC valve on the engine. It's normal.

MIKE
- 2001 Discovery 2 SE (NAS LHD) “MYRTLE”, 110K miles, 4.0L V8, NGK Iridium IX plugs, PCV mod, 180* T-stat, Hayden fan clutch/Dorman fan, removed TBH, SAI modded K&N filter, Safari Gard steel guards, Warn XD9000i winch, KO2 265/75R16 on steel rims, EBC rotors/Akebono pads, +2” TF lift & LEDs
- UltraGauge Blue, Foxwell NT510, Nanocom D2 V8 & TD5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Bosch for the extra 10$, yes please. So now that I had a 2nd hand, it is no spark. The timing chain had slop but didn't skip a tooth or anything. Did replace it all, right there in parking lot. Changed nothing. It's not turning over as fast as I thought, just never heard her turn over past a revolution before. So no spark...distributor???
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 12:51 AM
Expert Crate Digger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
No distributers on our Disco 2s. Only 2 ignitor coil packs that centrally sit behind the V8 engine near firewall.
Those go bad but rare for both to go bad at once. Check the wire leads to them.

MIKE
- 2001 Discovery 2 SE (NAS LHD) “MYRTLE”, 110K miles, 4.0L V8, NGK Iridium IX plugs, PCV mod, 180* T-stat, Hayden fan clutch/Dorman fan, removed TBH, SAI modded K&N filter, Safari Gard steel guards, Warn XD9000i winch, KO2 265/75R16 on steel rims, EBC rotors/Akebono pads, +2” TF lift & LEDs
- UltraGauge Blue, Foxwell NT510, Nanocom D2 V8 & TD5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Why did you cycle the door locks? it almost seems like it is being killed by the security system or the safety roll over switch...are those under the seat in a disco?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

All wires look good. Replaced coils and wires, plugs recently done. Old coils tested fine, but I don't want to go back there again. Same thing, but now its throwing a p1673.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

P1673 is new ECM configured. When this problem first occurred I found fuse 20 blown which controls the transponder coil. Has not blown again. I've never had an actual key for her, the key is just a standard chipless key, like for a house. Key doesn't work in the door either. Previous owner did something to make this work. 2 months back the key tumbler broke, so just been using a screwdriver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in