Crazy Idea for 2004 discovery lift - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Sand fan!!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Crazy Idea for 2004 discovery lift

Hi Folks,

what you think if i put the rear spring coils in the front to have about 2-3 inch lift. for the rear I'm going to use air spring with 2 inches spacer.

the information I got form internet, that I need 200-225 lb/in for the front lift. while the rear spring is 270-290 stock ... is that true ?

Is it a good idea to do so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Sand fan!!

Ok,

I guess it will be too high lift.

what if I cut one coil to be 7.7 coils ?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 04:43 AM
'03 Disco SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I believe all you would achieve is a heavily reverse-raked stance, meaning your front end would sit much higher than the rear end.

Don't cut the coils - during full axle articulation you can have the spring dislodge from it's mounts and risk damaging the ABS wires or brake lines.

Keep in mind that you're limited to how much lift you can achieve on the stock components without negatively impacting ride & handling. It's something like 2" or less. Your limiting factor will be the radius arms. Basically, as you put in bigger springs, the axle will move away from the frame along the swing of the radius arms and will begin to angle inward toward the center of the body. This means that the "caster" angle of your front axle will be thrown off which will lead to problems with ride quality and an inability for your steering wheel to self-center. It also stresses shocks & shock towers.

You can buy caster-corrected radius arms, but they're something like $600/pair.

I did a mild 2" medium-duty Terrafirma lift and during my alignment I was told that my caster was already 3 degrees off.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Sand fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosnian Discovery View Post
I believe all you would achieve is a heavily reverse-raked stance, meaning your front end would sit much higher than the rear end.

Don't cut the coils - during full axle articulation you can have the spring dislodge from it's mounts and risk damaging the ABS wires or brake lines.

Keep in mind that you're limited to how much lift you can achieve on the stock components without negatively impacting ride & handling. It's something like 2" or less. Your limiting factor will be the radius arms. Basically, as you put in bigger springs, the axle will move away from the frame along the swing of the radius arms and will begin to angle inward toward the center of the body. This means that the "caster" angle of your front axle will be thrown off which will lead to problems with ride quality and an inability for your steering wheel to self-center. It also stresses shocks & shock towers.

You can buy caster-corrected radius arms, but they're something like $600/pair.

I did a mild 2" medium-duty Terrafirma lift and during my alignment I was told that my caster was already 3 degrees off.
Thanks for the input ... I think I will give up on that idea and just use a 1" spacers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in