cut off the cats and straight pipe it? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cut off the cats and straight pipe it?

I mashed my left cat real good. It is flat and hollow now. I don't know a lot about the emissions system, but will this throw codes and mess up my fuel/air? I've been driving like this for a week with no problems, then last night I went for a long drive and got an engine light. I imagine this is the problem, but haven't checked it yet. Do the O2 sensors compare to side to side and well as front to back? I have many things left on my list of cool stuff do buy for the old beast, exhaust was not one of them, I've crushed it several times 4 wheelin and putting new stuff on seems wrong....I just can't stand engine lights.

2000 Land Rover Disco II
My Disco's a bush truck. Wtf to I care about scratches?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 08:18 AM
laments the death of industrial strength soup sporks \;/

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteRice View Post
I mashed my left cat real good. It is flat and hollow now. I don't know a lot about the emissions system, but will this throw codes and mess up my fuel/air? I've been driving like this for a week with no problems, then last night I went for a long drive and got an engine light. I imagine this is the problem, but haven't checked it yet. Do the O2 sensors compare to side to side and well as front to back? I have many things left on my list of cool stuff do buy for the old beast, exhaust was not one of them, I've crushed it several times 4 wheelin and putting new stuff on seems wrong....I just can't stand engine lights.
yes, hence there being 4 of them.
i know what you mean though, i have a slight leak at the flange on the drivers side from beating the cat against a boulder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I am the White Rabbit
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 08:43 AM

Spark plug non foulers will let you run without cats just fine. I have for about 10k miles now. Just google spark plug non fouler trick. You only need them on the after cat O2s

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 08:47 AM

What? it will run fine without them. They are an emissions control device. If anything, it will throw a check engine light because it thinks the cats are operating at a reduced level. Spark plug non foulers are unnecessary.

This site sucks balls.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 08:54 AM

It would throw codes and the truck would run like crap, not mentionning that it would be very ignorant and iresponsible to even try it. If you keep knocking them while offroading, try and find a way to protect them with skidplates or something.

Knowledge is only really worth anything when its been experienced first hand. If you heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy.....nevermind and keep it to yourself.
[SIGPIC]
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph View Post
It would throw codes and the truck would run like crap, not mentionning that it would be very ignorant and iresponsible to even try it. If you keep knocking them while offroading, try and find a way to protect them with skidplates or something.
uh oh.. not sure what you ment by that. your not one of "them" are you? if so drive a fucking prius. which by the way is more enviromentaly damaging than an old deisel clunker. if you ment that by keeping the integrity of the truck then sorry.

I am the White Rabbit
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrummal View Post
What? it will run fine without them. They are an emissions control device. If anything, it will throw a check engine light because it thinks the cats are operating at a reduced level. Spark plug non foulers are unnecessary.
You are correct for most trucks but in the discovery it defaults to running ridiculously rich if you throw and O2 code. When i first tried it i was getting about 4-6 mpg... The non foulers keep it from throwing the code. Just saying that it works. It is nice not having to worry about them. And you can sell them like i did for exhaust work and extra goodies
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Sure, it is a cheap way to beat the system and it is wrong!

Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters

Need Parts?

or call 203-770-1699

or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8,

British Parts of Utah,
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good luck passing emissions, this isn't a quarter mile car...

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 11:21 AM

I wouldn't have done it if we had any sort of testing where I live. That is just asking for trouble.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 03:02 PM
MG

Fwiw

We kicked this very same question around in the DI section a few years ago - the Beast (my former DI) was the AUS build, so it didn't have any Cats (that's right, none). From my research at the time, there's a resistor on the ECU that compensates for the presence (or lack thereof) of the cats.

I don't know if the DII is the same...

Peace,

'95 Disco I, 3.9L V8i 5-speed - sold
Back in Wisconsin!
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
uh oh.. not sure what you ment by that. your not one of "them" are you? if so drive a fucking prius. which by the way is more enviromentaly damaging than an old deisel clunker. if you ment that by keeping the integrity of the truck then sorry.

Nope, no tree hugger here. But no freekin idiot either. I bet you empty your ashtray at street lights and throw your garbage in your local Wal-mart parking lot. Didn't think so....Removing your cats in this day and age is just as stupid. There was a time not too long ago where Land rover owners still had a little class and brains left. Not counting how Land Rover is still synonym with open outdoors, safaris and nature respect.Really sucks to see trailer park mentality starting to happen here. So while I go get my Prius, do everybody a favor and sell you Rover and go buy that huge pick-up truck with 12 inch lift and 44 inch tires while we're still trying to keep the Rover image.

Knowledge is only really worth anything when its been experienced first hand. If you heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy.....nevermind and keep it to yourself.
[SIGPIC]
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Nope, no tree hugger here. But no freekin idiot either. I bet you empty your ashtray at street lights and throw your garbage in your local Wal-mart parking lot. Didn't think so....Removing your cats in this day and age is just as stupid. There was a time not too long ago where Land rover owners still had a little class and brains left. Not counting how Land Rover is still synonym with open outdoors, safaris and nature respect.Really sucks to see trailer park mentality starting to happen here. So while I go get my Prius, do everybody a favor and sell you Rover and go buy that huge pick-up truck with 12 inch lift and 44 inch tires while we're still trying to keep the Rover image.
i don't use an ashtray, i throw my butt's out into dry tinder so they can start forest fires to clear the underbrush. i throw my garbage off the side of the interstate so convicts can have something to do. no, i'm just tired of "green" i'm an avid outdoorsman and give to the acess fund, but at the same time protest the seirra club for their wacko ideals. if someone wants to bypass their cats thats their business not yours. he asked if the truck would run properly without them, not weather or not it was politicaly correct to do so.

I am the White Rabbit
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
But it's so trendy to be "green"...I have never heard of such hypocrisy in my life..I care about the ecology and bash anyone that doesn't...but when your not looking... you still get the plastic top on your Starbucks, and the cardboard holder on the side, I bet you don't even take in your own mug each time..

Did you know that a Prius is more harmfull to the environment than it does any good. You know how bad it is when they have to dispose of a Prius, they are not even sure how to do it yet,,, the battery component is more harmfull than any emissions. 85% of Prius owners own one because of what there friends will think of them while they are driving it and 90% of those owners are female. Not one Prius owner reported driving less, they think they should still be able to run around town going from mall to mall looking for the perfect outfit to wear to the next protest.

If it wasn't so trendy to "say your green" you wouldn't give a hoot cus you still pollute...

wow
I dig you steph but you were outa line on that one...you can't be selectively green - scratch that - environmentally conscious which ahs been happening since 1976 Just ask the crying Indian....

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDream2 View Post
But it's so trendy to be "green"...I have never heard of such hypocrisy in my life..I care about the ecology and bash anyone that doesn't...but when your not looking... you still get the plastic top on your Starbucks, and the cardboard holder on the side, I bet you don't even take in your own mug each time..

Did you know that a Prius is more harmfull to the environment than it does any good. You know how bad it is when they have to dispose of a Prius, they are not even sure how to do it yet,,, the battery component is more harmfull than any emissions. 85% of Prius owners own one because of what there friends will think of them while they are driving it and 90% of those owners are female. Not one Prius owner reported driving less, they think they should still be able to run around town going from mall to mall looking for the perfect outfit to wear to the next protest.

If it wasn't so trendy to "say your green" you wouldn't give a hoot cus you still pollute...

wow
I dig you steph but you were outa line on that one...you can't be selectively green - scratch that - environmentally conscious which ahs been happening since 1976 Just ask the crying Indian....
exactly

I am the White Rabbit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in