Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

d1 snorkel on a d2

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  reverendALC 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 discovery 2, and I've been wanting to install a snorkel. My factory airbox is broken, so I've run a cone for a couple of years now. Does anyone know if a discovery 1 arb style snorkel would fit ? I already have an in line filter, and the d1 snorkel has a round port, instead of the oblong port on the d2 snorkel. I'm working with limited funds, so a mantec is out of the question.

#2 ·
anything can work given the right tools, supplies, and technical skill.
though you may spend less money on fittings for the D1 snorkel, it will definitely take more time.
i bet an $80 eBay snorkel for the D2 and a scrapyard airbox assembly would cost a couple bucks, but would install much faster and a better job.

IMO the 2004 disco is pinnacle of LR's lineup, and you don't want to end up like this:

#3 ·
I was having trouble finding a used airbox for it, so I bought an enclosed filter on ebay. I figured it would mount to a d1 snorkel with minimal effort, because of the round port. My main concern was the alignment with the fender, and windshield pillar. With the factory airbox, there can be a lot more to seal, especially the cloth connector.

Attachments

#4 ·
interesting. it sounds like it's rather doable then. if your snorkel OD isn't the same as your airbox OD, you could probably just use an ABS reducer and/or a no-hub.
the tricky part would be getting everything aligned as the template is probably a no-go between D1 and D2.

i have no doubt that you could successfully attach the snorkel to the fender and the A-pillar as they're grossly similar between the models.

i bet if you watch a few YouTube videos of D1 and D2 snorkel installation you can get a good idea of what needs to be cut and where. when i'm blind fitting a part to another, i usually put a dab of polishing compound, grease, or even mustard on the specific points, and quickly touch the parts together. if you just just a tiny drop, it'll transfer to the fender and give you a pretty good idea of what you're looking at.

looking forward to seeing that happen!

#5 · (Edited)
Cane Toad AU

I bought a "cane toad" snorkel. It's an exact replica of the safari. The box says it's made 100% made in Australia. I paid $100 for it brand new - shipping included.

So far it's worked fantastic. The hardest part for me was installation. It looks exactly like the Safari Snorkel. The only difference is the there is no Safari logo - which worked perfectly for me because I did not want a Safari Logo.

IMO opinion the Mantec isn't really that good, comparatively speaking. The forward facing Safari / Cane Toad snorkel forces the air into the air intake as you're driving increasing gas mileage. During a heavy rain storm most of the water exits the side vents and as long as your Airbox is clean and the drain hole unobstructed - the remaining water will exit.

The Mantec has a "cone". This is better for water intrusion - but does not force air into the air intake. The air intake is thus forced to work harder to bring in the air. Less MPG.

IMO Mantec is expensive and overrated. I'm also not even certain they are still in business. Everything I'm seeing online is always "sold out" I've been told by John Craddock, and Rimmer Bros. they are unable to order the Mantec window guards at all - even though it's on their website and people want to buy them. See here:

https://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/land-rover-discovery/discovery-2/accessories/window-guards/

I want window guards for all 7 windows and Mantec will not even make them anymore.

I would avoid Mantec because of this. It almost seems as if they are just selling off existing stock and not making anything anymore. That means once you install a mantec snorkel you will not be able to switch to a Safari / Cane Toad ... if it needs replacement.

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.