d1 snorkel on a d2 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
d1 snorkel on a d2

I have a 2004 discovery 2, and I've been wanting to install a snorkel. My factory airbox is broken, so I've run a cone for a couple of years now. Does anyone know if a discovery 1 arb style snorkel would fit ? I already have an in line filter, and the d1 snorkel has a round port, instead of the oblong port on the d2 snorkel. I'm working with limited funds, so a mantec is out of the question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 07:44 AM
very disco

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
anything can work given the right tools, supplies, and technical skill.
though you may spend less money on fittings for the D1 snorkel, it will definitely take more time.
i bet an $80 eBay snorkel for the D2 and a scrapyard airbox assembly would cost a couple bucks, but would install much faster and a better job.

IMO the 2004 disco is pinnacle of LR's lineup, and you don't want to end up like this:

2003 Disco 2 SE7 - going to be buried in it
2006 RR Sport HSE - project
1997 Disco SE - SOLD
2003 Disco 2 SE7 - SOLD
1995 Disco SE - SOLD
2001 Disco 2 SE - SOLD
Foxwell NT510, Nanocom EVO
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was having trouble finding a used airbox for it, so I bought an enclosed filter on ebay. I figured it would mount to a d1 snorkel with minimal effort, because of the round port. My main concern was the alignment with the fender, and windshield pillar. With the factory airbox, there can be a lot more to seal, especially the cloth connector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l400_1562288151292.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	87337   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l400(4)_1562288493611.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	87339  

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:16 PM
very disco

interesting. it sounds like it's rather doable then. if your snorkel OD isn't the same as your airbox OD, you could probably just use an ABS reducer and/or a no-hub.
the tricky part would be getting everything aligned as the template is probably a no-go between D1 and D2.

i have no doubt that you could successfully attach the snorkel to the fender and the A-pillar as they're grossly similar between the models.

i bet if you watch a few YouTube videos of D1 and D2 snorkel installation you can get a good idea of what needs to be cut and where. when i'm blind fitting a part to another, i usually put a dab of polishing compound, grease, or even mustard on the specific points, and quickly touch the parts together. if you just just a tiny drop, it'll transfer to the fender and give you a pretty good idea of what you're looking at.

looking forward to seeing that happen!

1997 Disco SE - SOLD
2003 Disco 2 SE7 - SOLD
1995 Disco SE - SOLD
2001 Disco 2 SE - SOLD
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Cane Toad AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrit View Post
I have a 2004 discovery 2, and I've been wanting to install a snorkel. My factory airbox is broken, so I've run a cone for a couple of years now. Does anyone know if a discovery 1 arb style snorkel would fit ? I already have an in line filter, and the d1 snorkel has a round port, instead of the oblong port on the d2 snorkel. I'm working with limited funds, so a mantec is out of the question.
I bought a "cane toad" snorkel. It's an exact replica of the safari. The box says it's made 100% made in Australia. I paid $100 for it brand new - shipping included.

So far it's worked fantastic. The hardest part for me was installation. It looks exactly like the Safari Snorkel. The only difference is the there is no Safari logo - which worked perfectly for me because I did not want a Safari Logo.

IMO opinion the Mantec isn't really that good, comparatively speaking. The forward facing Safari / Cane Toad snorkel forces the air into the air intake as you're driving increasing gas mileage. During a heavy rain storm most of the water exits the side vents and as long as your Airbox is clean and the drain hole unobstructed - the remaining water will exit.

The Mantec has a "cone". This is better for water intrusion - but does not force air into the air intake. The air intake is thus forced to work harder to bring in the air. Less MPG.

IMO Mantec is expensive and overrated. I'm also not even certain they are still in business. Everything I'm seeing online is always "sold out" I've been told by John Craddock, and Rimmer Bros. they are unable to order the Mantec window guards at all - even though it's on their website and people want to buy them. See here:

https://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/la...window-guards/

I want window guards for all 7 windows and Mantec will not even make them anymore.

I would avoid Mantec because of this. It almost seems as if they are just selling off existing stock and not making anything anymore. That means once you install a mantec snorkel you will not be able to switch to a Safari / Cane Toad ... if it needs replacement.

1999 LR DII Performance Package with various Mods
Valentine One
Passport 9500ix
6 x Anti-Theft Camera System
2 x Anti-Theft Tracking devices
Veil Laser Paint
Anti-Laser Police Laser Jammer (5 heads + Dragon Eye protection) + Parking Sensors
Police Scanner + Waze
Powerful Pro-tuned CB-Radio with Fire-Stik
Remote+Hardwired License Plate Concealer
Armormax Bullet Proof Glass
Armormax Caltrop Deployment System
Steel Undercarriage Guards (Steering, Diff axles, Gas tank)
Voyager Roof Rack+six Jerrycans and five stacked Rotopax
Maxxis Razr Offroad Tires+Lift+LED bar
Allisport UK Aluminum Radiator
Allisport UK aluminum coolant tank with sight glass and coolant level sensor

Last edited by WLADiscoII99; 07-13-2019 at 08:19 PM. Reason: example of mantec products they are too lazy to re-stock even though I was told there is demand for them
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 05:58 AM
Expert Crate Digger

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I though Mantec stopped making snorkels for Discos years ago? The only ones left are either used or new for Defenders.
SouthDown makes Mantec style snorkels which I prefer. https://www.southdown4x4.co.uk/South...%20Snorkel.htm

MIKE
- 2001 Discovery 2 SE (NAS LHD) “MYRTLE”, 110K miles, 4.0L V8, NGK Iridium IX plugs, PCV mod, 180* T-stat, Hayden fan clutch/Dorman fan, removed TBH, SAI modded K&N filter, Safari Gard steel guards, Warn XD9000i winch, KO2 265/75R16 on steel rims, EBC rotors/Akebono pads, +2” TF lift & LEDs
- UltraGauge Blue, Foxwell NT510, Nanocom D2 V8 & TD5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:13 PM
very disco

it would be really cool if somebody made a modified A-pillar that was or contained the snorkel body.

1997 Disco SE - SOLD
2003 Disco 2 SE7 - SOLD
1995 Disco SE - SOLD
2001 Disco 2 SE - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in