D2 2001 21.000 miles - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
D2 2001 21.000 miles

My D2 2001 with only 21.000 miles, came up with code P0305, a misfire on cylinder #5. Changed plugs with the champion and changed wires with the Magnecor 8mm; fired it up and the D2 threw the same misfire code on #5, I tested the wire and no spark was jumping from that wire to #5 cylinder; could it be the coil pack is bad or the distributor? any help, any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did the misfire first come up before or after you changed wires?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like the coil pack if,,, two wires have been tested and the same result occured. Clear the codes and try a third wire..one from the old wires you know works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 08:28 AM

21,000 miles!!! I think you should just sell it to me dirt cheap since it is a hopeless cause. Haha, just kidding. If you end up needing a coil pack, Roverland dismantles and sells used Disco parts. Check out their pricing before you plunk down a lot on a new one.

99 Disco II -Sold, but I miss it....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

That misfire came before the wire/plugs change. we tested a different wire to see if the #5 had any spark ant that was negative, all of the other wires were sparking real nice.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Mot a bad idea, sometimes is like breaking a wall with the head.
thanks for the offer.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 08:21 AM

Any progress yet? I have the exact issue after replacing plugs and wires. Mine is a misfire on #4. Had to replace the wires since the one on #4 was faulty and was arching nearly all along the wire. My best guess is that the resistance change from arching fried that terminal on the coil. I ordered a single coil pack from Advance. Very much dreading replacing the pac, wires were difficult enough.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 07:38 PM

I'll answer my post because I did it! Truck is running great now. The coil pack was the problem. I really wish I was that guy. The one who wants a big truck because I'm small with a complex. Next time I remove the intake Manifold, there is not much room back there to wrench. Couple notes if you try.
Replacing one of the two packs works, short term diagnosis only. If you replace the whole assembly you will need to remove the IM. I was able to take the one I removed out by wiggling it toward the passenger side. Of course the secondary air pipes were off.
1/4 inch drive(small is needed), universal adapter, 2 and 5 inch ext(3 and 5 would have been slightly more comfortable), and an 8 mm slim socket worked for me. All bolts on the coil pack are 8mm. Secondary Air pipe connection to the bracket is 10mm, bracket connects to the engine with 8mm.
I plan on having this great truck for some time, cause I luv it. Could everyone who succeeds at a task post how to and best practice? I will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in