Discovery II Lockers - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Discovery II Lockers

What lockers should I use for a trail rig but still have good on-road characteristics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 03:54 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
What year is your truck, do you have a CDL which is needed prior to installing lockers? Also, Have you already rebuilt or replaced the front drive shaft to prevent it from failing?

Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need Parts?

or call 203-770-1699

or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8,

British Parts of Utah,
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

It's an 02 and I already replaced the cdl with one from an 00 with the nipple to manual engage it. Haven't rebuilt the front drive shaft yet. Is there a lit for rebuilding the front drive shaft?

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 05:16 AM
Administrator

Do the front drive shaft before you head out on the trails. Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you the PDF file for the rebuild.
As for the lockers, what are you thinking about using, what size tires will you be running and what is your budget?

Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

Need Parts?

or call 203-770-1699

or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8,

British Parts of Utah,
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

I have a 3" toddco suspension lift and I am running 285/60/18 on stock rims. I was leaning toward tt lockers front and rear.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 02:55 PM

airlockers. Trus are nice but you don't really want them on the street. Air will let you keep the stockish ride. I would think there might be some crap to deal with when the traction control and the trutrac engage at the same time but I could be wrong.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Administrator

And why wouldn't you want T.T.'s on the road and please be specific?

Mike

Need Parts?

or call 203-770-1699

or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8,

British Parts of Utah,
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by basstard440 View Post
airlockers. Trus are nice but you don't really want them on the street. Air will let you keep the stockish ride. I would think there might be some crap to deal with when the traction control and the trutrac engage at the same time but I could be wrong.
You don't know what your talking about. ARB's are nice, but expensive and useless when your compressor takes a dump. Tru-Tracs are cheaper, transparent on-road and off-road they work exceptionally well, especially with the traction control. If you get a tire in the air and the TC doesn't catch it, just step on the brake and they lock right up. And for toughness? I had one in the rear of a 240 Volvo sedan (Dana 20) that I dropped a Ford 302HO into (400hp/300ft/lbs). I ABUSED that thing, and that Tru-Trac worked flawlessly.
- Bill

Oh Crikey! It's the Albanian Rozzers.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:23 AM

Looking to install lockers myself after i do a front half CDL swap. What do u guys suggest would be better; TT front and rear, ARB front and rear, or a combo of both?

~Patrick

03 DII, 2" lift, ARD Brush Guard with Warn W8000 Winch + 2 PIA lights, and Safari Rack with 4 PIA + 1 utility light. Tom Woods front drive shaft. Michelin XZL 4X4 O/R - 7.5 R16C 116/114N Tires. My disco web album, have a look

06 VW Jetta TDI 5 Speed averaging 47mpg......wish the disco did half that

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedrix View Post
Looking to install lockers myself after i do a front half CDL swap. What do u guys suggest would be better; TT front and rear, ARB front and rear, or a combo of both?
Tru-Tracs front and rear. Least expensive, transparent on-road, great off-road, intall and forget, always work, tough. No brainer.
- Bill

Oh Crikey! It's the Albanian Rozzers.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Kinds of depends on the type of wheeling you do, how hard are the trails and your budget.
What will you be doing with your truck.
As for me, I run a T.T. in the front and a Detroit in the rear with H.D. axles and 4:11's.
For most people, T.T.'s front and rear are great, less expensive and will pull you thru most anything.

Mike

Need Parts?

or call 203-770-1699

or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8,

British Parts of Utah,
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Mike View Post
Kinds of depends on the type of wheeling you do, how hard are the trails and your budget.
What will you be doing with your truck.
As for me, I run a T.T. in the front and a Detroit in the rear with H.D. axles and 4:11's.
For most people, T.T.'s front and rear are great, less expensive and will pull you thru most anything.
I'm mainly doing trails (mud/sand etc), going up steep inclines, and camping . Nothing as serious as rock climbing or anything. Also gonna put a snorkel on it and have "Cold Air Intake" stenciled on it for shits and giggles.

~Patrick

03 DII, 2" lift, ARD Brush Guard with Warn W8000 Winch + 2 PIA lights, and Safari Rack with 4 PIA + 1 utility light. Tom Woods front drive shaft. Michelin XZL 4X4 O/R - 7.5 R16C 116/114N Tires. My disco web album, have a look

06 VW Jetta TDI 5 Speed averaging 47mpg......wish the disco did half that

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Stay woth 2 T.T.'s, you will really like them, they are strong and don't cause issues.

Mike

Need Parts?

or call 203-770-1699

or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8,

British Parts of Utah,
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 10:04 PM

Tts front rear suck on snow roads and can be scary on snowy roads. Had a 4runner built and slapped 1 in the front and went like a beast in the snowy roads 4,+ deep snow etc and decided on my next 4rnr I'd go front and rear. Yeah wont do that again. If you dont see snow then yeah if so on road in snow learn the vehicles behaviors it can be u serving especially with ice underneath.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 03:56 AM

Cuz my truck was better on the road in the snow, rain and ice when it was stock. And anyone thatsays other is full of shit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in