Is this a good buy -04 Disco S? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this a good buy -04 Disco S?

Hey all,
I'm new to the forum, to 'wheelin' and to Land Rovers in general. I've been reading a ton of posts on these forums the last few weeks and I feel i'm ready to dive into the LR community. While I understand the common repair issues I feel confident that I know what I'm getting into... a lot of fun, duh I've done a little wrenching and it's been fun at times -and a headache at times, but I enjoy learning how it all works.

Anyway, I'm in the market for an '04 Disco II and am going to take a look at a base S model with 70K miles in a couple days that has some aftermarket features that I would want to add to any Disco, but the owner is asking 10,800 for it (seems high) so I want to get your opinions on it.

Its an '04 Disco II SD trim with 70K miles and from what I gather from the pictures it has an ARB aftermarket bumper/grill guard, winch (not sure what mfg), spotlights, roof rack and ladder, 16" wheels (not LR stock), and what looks like a 2" lift kit. The owner just had the valve gaskets replaced and rebuilt the front drivetrain when the u-joints failed at highway speed and tore up a bunch of stuff - I seem to read a lot about that on here

Owner said it hasn't actually been offroad and is very clean and mechanically, electronically sound.

SInce the repairs mentioned are so common on here i figure that is a bonus. He replaced the U-joints with a sealed and greaseable u-joint and had to replace the o-2 sensor and a few other things as well that were damaged during that process. I think he had it all repaired at the LR Dealer since the indy mechanic here in Santa fe went out of business. Is there anything I can check/listen for or ask about related to these issues that might creep in later down the road or a common oversight related to these repairs?

Now my questions:
What value would you give to the other upgrades -sorry can't provide mfg info on the upgrades at this time but it seems like I could find a base model without them for around 7K, right? What is a reasonable price for this with upgrades?

I know it doesn't have the ALS system (which everyone seems to say to just replace with springs anyway) and since it's the S trim it likely won't have some amenities like leather seats, sunroof, heated seats, upgraded stereo etc... not totally ideal but not a huge deal breaker either since it would be less to go wrong. However, what are the other useful features that would likely be excluded in the S model? Are the offroad features standard on all trim lines like the CDL, hill descent, TCS -anything else? someone mentioned in another thread no Sport mode on the S trim -if true how would this impact performance on and offroad?

I will have it checked by a mechanic to make sure everything is as the owner states, but the more I know before I drive the better I'll be able to evaluate whether it's worth taking to a mechanic in the first place.

Thanks for all your help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 04:51 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The truck is worth his asking price if you have a pre-purchase inspection done and it is clean. I am still seeing clean 04's fin the $12,000 and up.

Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need Parts?

or call 203-770-1699

or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8,

British Parts of Utah,
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 12:17 PM

The only things you would be missing on an S model would be the sun roof, probably heated seats & windshield, factory front fogs, ACE, navigation, and the SLS system. These are not issues to me, except the heated seats and windshield. It's awesome to have a heated windshield in the winter!

Anyways, all of the off road systems are there. Traction control, CDL, ABS, HDC, and any other acronym you could imagine. Also, you would be hard pressed to find an '04 with that low mileage stock for that price, much less with the probably 4-6K dollars worth of equipment on it. Get a pre-purchase inspection and make sure to get the full carfax report to make sure it hasn't been wrecked. If everything checks out, I would jump on it. That seems like a pretty great deal.

'03 Discovery- front driveshaft rebuilt, OME 751 & 762 w/ Terrafirma HD Shocks, ProComp 265/75 16 Mud Terrains, 4.11 HD gears, Rear Detroit, rear 1.5" spacers, F & R diff guards
'06 Mustang GT- the daily driver

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Mike, I appreciate it. I was curious about that when I saw a fully factory loaded 04 Disco HSE without the aftermarket add ons for 11,800...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

awesome, thanks for the info. I will miss the heated seats and windshields, but I can certainly live without - I'll just get some of those sheepskin covers like my grandpa. Can't wait to check it out tomorrow!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 07:51 PM

I think that price seems very reasonable. My 2004 SE, with some mods, I would expect to be worth $13+. I could be wrong, but that is what it's worth to me

Trenton

2004 Discovery II- 2" lift w/RTE HD springs and OME Nitro shocks, AT3 265/65/18, D1 rear spring seats, OME steering stabilizer, Slickrock Fab front sway bar disconnects, TW front driveshaft, rear diff guard, steering guard, extended steel brake lines, 25mm wheel spacers, OEM winch tray with VR10000 and Amsteel synthetic line, SD rack and 4 Ralley 3000 lights. STI wires and a bunch of new gaskets, 90k service done...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Deal is done- I have officially been sucked into the LR community and I love it It was the S model, but has heated seats and windshields so the one concern was gone. Now I just have to hit the trails -anyone out there in the Santa Fe area???
Here's some shots of my Zombie Destroyer...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3289.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	29680   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3290 2.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	29681   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3291.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	29682  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 03:52 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
NO you don't, first things first. Go to the top of this section and find my major service list, do the entire list and then go play.
You might want to send me your number so we can talk about some things to be looking at.

Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters

Need Parts?

or call 203-770-1699

or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8,

British Parts of Utah,
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 08:53 AM
disco biscuit

Sweet...I got the same year model and all. I like the set up. Did that end up being 3" lift? I know originally you thought it was 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in